Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Black Watch Dundee?

WendyE

I know my great grandfather George Findlay Alexander Boyle was in the Black Watch. I am almost positive in Dundee. I was wondering if anyone could tell me which one he belonged to? I have included a picture to look at. I have many more if you would like to see. Thank you very much. I can also be reached at tonetone_48209@yahoo.com or tonetone@provide.net

WendyE

post-7754-1124076395.jpg

Hi Wendy,

On the assumption that he served abroad in WW1, there is only one George Boyle listed as serving with the Royal Highlanders (Black Watch):

Pte. George Boyle, 1685, then 200117

See link: MIC

The 2nd regt. no. 200117 indicates that he served in a territorial unit (these were renumbered in 1917 giving all soldiers 6 digit nos.), so either 1/4th, 1/5th, 1/6th or 1/7th. From the TFSG Library on the parent site: TFSG

It would seem that 200117 fits into the 1/4th Battalion, which to give it its full title was the

1/4th (City of Dundee) Battalion. So that would fit with you know. All we have to know now is did you grandfather serve in the war? If so this will be your man. To confirm this man did serve with the 1/4th Bn. you will need to get someone to look at the medal rolls at the National Archives.

Hope I'm on the right track,

Stuart

Hi Wendy,

On the assumption that he served abroad in WW1, there is only one George Boyle listed as serving with the Royal Highlanders (Black Watch):

Pte. George Boyle, 1685, then 200117

See link: MIC

The 2nd regt. no. 200117 indicates that he served in a territorial unit (these were renumbered in 1917 giving all soldiers 6 digit nos.), so either 1/4th, 1/5th, 1/6th or 1/7th. From the TFSG Library on the parent site: TFSG

It would seem that 200117 fits into the 1/4th Battalion, which to give it its full title was the

1/4th (City of Dundee) Battalion. So that would fit with you know. All we have to know now is did you grandfather serve in the war? If so this will be your man. To confirm this man did serve with the 1/4th Bn. you will need to get someone to look at the medal rolls at the National Archives.

Hope I'm on the right track,

Stuart

I know he had to of served in the war because I also have a picture of his battalion. On the back of the picture it says this," out of 1000 men this is all that returned." It is sad because I would say only about maybe 100 men are in the picture :(

thank you so much for your help,one more question, do you know where I could see the uniform in color?

WendyE (I have put the photo)

post-7754-1124101462.jpg

THe UK "Documentsonline" can be found on the Interent--

Note the World War I Medal Card catalogue can be looked up for free

BUTT there is a charge for downloading copy of card record.

Excellent pictures-prehaps you can find the Black Watch Museum online and first ask what thier procedure is for inquires-prehaps you can download pictures to BW Museum :)

I have many more if you would like to see.  Thank you very much. I can also be reached at  tonetone_48209@yahoo.com  or tonetone@provide.net

WendyE

If you have any more photos, it would be lovely to see them, Wendy. These two are very good.

Marina

Hi Wendy,

The archivist is Thomas Smyth - a very nice chap.

If he can I'm sure he'd be happy to help.

All the best,

Derek

I had the opportunity to go to Perth today so I got your picture. The archivist confirms your GGfather was 4th Battalion territorial and was a drummer as he has a drummer's badge in the photo of him with unknown.

He would be pleased to hear from you about your photos.

Aye

Malcolm

post-129-1124381464.jpg

I would just like to thank everyone for helping me. I cannot even put into words the graditude I have for everyone that has helped. My gr great grandfather was a very good man. My father tells me he lived until he was 94 yrs old. And always took time to help people until his dying day. I am sure he looking down on all of us and is happy that I can now include this history into my family tree scrap book.

4 questions-

First one for Malcolm- How do I get a hold of the guy at the archives? And how can I see the picture you took?

Second one- I was told to contact the Black Watch Museum. Would they be willing to share information with me, or is this just to give them copies of my photos? And is there a fee involved?

Third one- I went to the NA website to see how to order my gr grandfather's records. It is a little expensive for me right now to order. Is there anyone that could go in and get them for cheaper?

Forth one- This is a little off topic but, I found another picture of my gr great grandfather! But this one says on the back- The Boys Brigade, George Boyle, 1904. It is also a very nice picture. He looks like he is wearing an army uniform and holding a rifle. There are also badges on his uniform. Does anyone have any idea what this is?

Once again thanks for your time and help,

Wendy

tonetone_48209@yahoo.com

tonetone@provide.net

Wendy

The Boys Brigade was a Christian youth organisation founded in 1883, and run on military style lines. It fell very much in the genre of "muscular christianity" which was popular during the Victorian period. The BB is still in existance today. Just type Boys Brigade into your search engine, and you will find its history.

Terry Reeves

I would just like to thank everyone for helping me. I cannot even put into words the graditude I have for everyone that has helped. My gr great grandfather was a very good man. My father tells me he lived until he was 94 yrs old. And always took time to help people until his dying day. I am sure he looking down on all of us and is happy that I can now include this history into my family tree scrap book.

4 questions-

First one for Malcolm- How do I get a hold of the guy at the archives? And how can I see the picture you took?

Wendy,

Copies sent to your email account as given with some other suggestions to follow.

Mr Smyth, the BW archivist, and all the staff at the Museum are very good people and would be only too pleased to help.

Contact Details for The Black Watch Regimental Museum

The Black Watch Regimental Museum

Balhousie Castle

Hay Street

Perth

PH1 5HR

Scotland

Telephone: +44 131 310 8530

e-mail: rhq@theblackwatch.co.uk.

Aye

Malcolm