Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Officer Cadet Battalion

Guest Hill 60

I asked this question some time ago without luck, so I'm going to try again just in case someone might have some thoughts on it.

Does anyone know anything about the the 10th Officers Cadet Battalion, Gailes, Ayrshire?

My partner picked up a postcard of Kilmarnock where she was born and noticed (a lot later) that it was imbossed with the wording:

D Company, 10th Officers Cadet Battalion, Gailes, Ayrshire. It is postmarked 1917.

Cheers - Lee

• 6 months later...

p. 117 of James British Regiments is about OCBs and has a listing of the 22 OCBs that had been set up by July 1917 and their locations. 9 and 10 OCB were both at Gailes. It doesnt give any more info than this. It would have been set up sometime after Feb 1916 as Officer Cadet units were authorise in ACI 357 of 14 Feb 1916.

My Gt uncle Reggie Secretan was at Gailes in Oct - Dec 1916 with 9 OCB. I have a couple of postcards of him there but nothing else.

Like you keen ti find out more

Guest Hill 60

Chris - Thanks, I did look on there. Apparently the guy who runs that site is always willing to get the first round in, know if this true?

Concerning the Camp, I was hoping that someone might know if there was some sort of register of Cadets who were trained there.

Lee

This might give you a lead Gailes Farm Near Irvine was regularly used for summer camps by Volunteer and later TF units from 1889 onwards.

Dave

Guest Hill 60

Dave - Thanks very much mate.

Jean and I went up to Kilmarnock in April to visit her dad's grave but we ran out of time and couldn't get to the Ayr area concerned, we hope to go sometime next year and check out the area.

Lee

My job takes me all over the UK and includes regular visits to the West of Scotland, particularly to Beith and Prestwick, so as the Scots say 'If I get there before ye do' I'll do some digging around.

Incidently we have a Scottish ghetto in our Office (chaps from Glasgow, Helensburgh and Aberdeen) but Im the one that gets to go to that beautiful country north of the border. Rank does have it's privileges!

Dave

Guest Hill 60
beautiful country north of the border.

You're not wrong there, Dave :D

Thanks for the offer matey, very good of you!