Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British plane shotdown (photo)

Malte Znaniecki

Hi,

in a private album from german "Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 9" I found this pic.

Who might tell me from which unit the plane is?

The pic was taken either in the Champagne or (what seems to me more realistic) in the coastal area of Flanders during 1917.

Thankful for any help

Malte

post-7367-1122716715.jpg

I've done a quick search and came up with this...........

Triplane N6306 belonged to Naval 10. Shot down near Zonnebeke at 08.05 (BST), 24/6/17 . FSL AB Holcroft survived but was wounded, became prisoner of war. Shot down by Ltn Grosse, Jasta 11.

Hope it's of use.

Les.

Malte

I have some more details about the Sopwith Triplane in your photograph, taken from, "Royal Navy Aircraft Serials and Units 1911-1919" by Ray Sturtivant and Gordon Page:

N6306 - Delivered to Dover, 7th May 1917, joining 10 RNAS Squadron 24th May 1917. A "Halberstadt-type" single seater scout was claimed 'Out of Control' (OOC) by FSL L.H. Parker (himself shot down and killed on 14th June 1917 by Vzfw F Krebs, an 8 victory ace who was to be shot down and killed on 16th July 1917) whilst flying this Triplane 15 miles off Ostende at 1945 on 25th May 1917 (there is no corresponding German loss recorded). FSL L.H. Parker also claimed an Albatros Scout OOC Ypres-Courtrai at 1800 on 3rd June 1917 whilst flying N6306 (no German losses recorded that day at all).

N6306 is listed as visiting 20 Squadron RFC at St. Marie Cappel on 29th May 1917 for comparative tests with FEs and Nieuports.

The next mention records its loss, as Les has already described.

Hope this is of interest.

Cheers,

Jim

• 5 years later...

I can't open this attachment, any suggestions. When I try to open any attachment from a post I always have a message that I am not allowed to open them. I then have to log in, which is a nuisance because the password given me is so long - 15 characters. How can I alter this.

Any help much appreciated.

Alex R

Alex, when you have signed in, you will see a small area on the top right hand side which should have your name in it. If you right click on your name, a drop down box of options is shown. Select "My Settings" and once that displays there is a section on the left for you to change your password to something you won't forget - and presumably shorter!!

I assume they are now 15 characters long because of the enormous popularity of the site.

You will have fun exploring all the options so you can personalise yourself!!

Hope that helps!!