Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Louvain Communal Cemetery

Tom Morgan

I've come across a reference to a soldier who was originally buried in Louvain Communal Cemetery, but whose grave is now lost.

Does anyone have any details about this cemetery? Presumably it was the Germans who had begun war-burials in this Communal Cemetery? The soldier I am interested in was British and was killed in November, 1918.

(I have seen the CWGC cemetery details of course. I am more interested in finding out how the grave might have come to be lost.)

Any advice gratefully received,

Tom

• 2 years later...
I've come across a reference to a soldier who was originally buried in Louvain Communal Cemetery, but whose grave is now lost. (...) The soldier I am interested in was British and was killed in November, 1918.

Tom,

This won't help you.

But ... just curiuous ... was this man Albert Carhil ? (Now buried in Langemark German Cemetery, but with a Special Memorial in Cement House Cemetery Langemark.)

As he died on 4 Nov 1918 (as a POW) and originally was buried in Louvain Communal Cem. ...

(No problem if you just answer : "No, it was someone else..." ;)

Aurel

I've come across a reference to a soldier who was originally buried in Louvain Communal Cemetery, but whose grave is now lost. (...) The soldier I am interested in was British and was killed in November, 1918.

Tom,

This won't help you.

But ... just curiuous ... was this man Albert Carhil ? (Now buried in Langemark German Cemetery, but with a Special Memorial in Cement House Cemetery Langemark.)

As he died on 4 Nov 1918 (as a POW) and originally was buried in Louvain Communal Cem. ...

Aurel

A slight remark: believed to be buried in the Kameradengrab... (as a lot of other allied soldiers originally buried between the Germans in former German cemeteries).

Jan

This won't help you.

Aurel

Yes, Aurel, it was Albert Carlill/Cahil. Sorry I didn't reply at once - I don't get the time to look on the forum as often as I used to!

Tom

Tom,

No problem. Also because I was not answering your specific question. Which was : how the grave in Louvain Communal Cemetery might have come to be lost.

And should you want information about Carlill/Carhil himself, I'm sure Robert's link will provide it.

Aurel