The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bedfordshires Adopted Child

shaymen

Interesting article dated 19/02/1916.

Quite unbelievable.

Glyn

post-5500-1121548465.jpg

Impossible, surely, that they would take a child into the front lines.

Marina

I agree Marina, it does sound highly improbable but stranger things have happened. If the story is true I wonder what happened to the little girl with the flaxen hair.

Andy

All

I tend to agree BUT its a strange story to make up.

Did newspapers in those days make up this sort of tale. :huh:

Glyn

If this is true then its a amazing story and a heart warming one at that. Like Glyn says its a strange story to make up.

Annette

The story is SO unbelievable that it makes me wonder what was the point of making it up? Could it be that the story has been exaggerated in some way? Maybe there was a child found in a town or somewhere that soldiers were kind to, and then trench rumours spread...in the same way the Angel of Mons story took root.

Marina

Stranger things have happened. If it was true would there be references to it in letters home, diaries etc of the regiment?

Cheers

Kim

If there was anything to the story, then I'm sure there would have been more about it - a photograph of the child, interviews, something in the Beds. history.

I'm still convinced that no one would take a kiddie into the trenches. Even if the men found a lost child, it would have been easy enough to send a man back behind the lines to take her to safety.

It would be interesting to know who gave the story to the papers and why. 'A Bedfordshire Sergeant' is a bit vague...

Marina

Guest PROCONSUL

I think it is modern sensibilities that find this story unbelievable. In 1914 the Nanny Welfare State did not exist. Soldiers did many things and many a blind eye was turned.

Newspapers, old and new, can always be relied upon to embellish the facts with emotive 'hooks', but I do not find this story all that strange. There will be a kernel of truth. I believe the regiment had spent 26 years in India just before coming home in 1914, although an expert on the regiment can correct me on this, and this reinforces my own view that this story might well be more true than false.

The regiments in India had a long tradition of looking after themselves and their families. It was quite common for the regiment to look after its own orphans (and others) and the Lawrence School at Sanwar is evidence of one of the many schools set up to do just this. My own father went there in '26.

If there had been a child by the road, and why lie about it, I feel sure a passing Tommy would have picked her up rather than leaving her on her own. Of such things are mascots made. :)

Tim of the Antipodes

Glyn

What is the source of the article? Its an interesting story but doesn't sound right to me.

Tim

I agree with you about different attitudes at different periods. Its an argument which can equally be applied to attitudes to the welfare state.

However I still find it hard to believe that soldiers of any period would expose a child to the dangers of the front-line. If their concern was really for the welfare of the child surely one man could have been spare to see her to safety.

Mike

Guest PROCONSUL

Tim

I agree with you about different attitudes at different periods. Its an argument which can equally be applied to attitudes to the welfare state.

However I still find it hard to believe that soldiers of any period would expose a child to the dangers of the front-line. If their concern was really for the welfare of the child surely one man could have been spare to see her to safety.

Mike

Mike,

Fair enough. I guess it all depends on how early on in the war and if it was a quiet sector. Remember the Christmas Truce?

I would agree, however, that a child wandering around No Man's land is journalisitc licence. I can imagine if the story has any truth to it that the little girl was popped into a bunker for safety and returned out of the forward area ASAP

Cheers

Tim

Glyn

However I still find it hard to believe that soldiers of any period would expose a child to the dangers of the front-line.  If their concern was really for the welfare of the child surely one man could have been spare to see her to safety.

Mike

Agreed - it's hardly nanny State to keep a child away from the trenches. It isn't difficult to believe in soldiers' kindness to a lost child, or even in an informal adoption - but into the trenches? That cannot be. I still think the story has been exaggertaed - maybe something did happen, but the story has gained in the telling.

We must have a Beds. expert on this Forum somewhere!

Marina

Simple. Never, ever, trust the media to report accurately. Never believe what you read in the papers. Never give interviews.

Misreporting is the least of the problems; embroidery, spin, falsehoods, lies even are commonplace.

Cynical? No, bitter experience, lots of it.

Any journalists out there? Any who are accurate, factual, unswayed by editorial pressures? Congratulations, it must feel lonely!

The many that I have dealt with would sell their granny for a story.

[Don't know what brought that on, but I do sincerely believe what I say]

Captain Grumpy

name and address withheld.

This simply has to be complete tosh.

Do I hear "Angel of Mons"? Do I hear "crucified Canadian? I think I do.

One could, at a stretch, believe that the Bedfords found her and took her into the trenches rather than leave her there. But it is, frankly, incredible that she stayed with them for the full tour and even more incredible that she remained with the battalion for several months.

Of course things were different then, but the French or Belgian authorities will have had procedures and facilities to deal with orphans.

John

Glyn

What is the source of the article?  Its an interesting story but doesn't sound right to me.

The article was in my local newspaper The Herts And Essex Observer dated 19th Feb 1916 - the paper gives coverage to quite a few Bedfords stories as a lot of them were local lads.

Thanks all for your replies - more than interesting

Glyn

A bit far fetched.

Even if they found a child, surely they would have sent her back to safety with someone who had taken food or ammunition into the front line trenches?

This being said, there was an earlier case of the army adopting an infant found on the battle field. This was the well known "Jimmy Durham" who later joined the army.

http://web.ask.co.uk/redir?u=http%3a%2f%2f...url=&Complete=1

A bit far fetched.

Even if they found a child, surely they would have sent her back to safety with someone who had taken food or ammunition into the front line trenches?

This being said, there was an earlier case of the army adopting an infant found on the battle field. This was the well known "Jimmy Durham" who later joined the army.

http://web.ask.co.uk/redir?u=http%3a%2f%2f...url=&Complete=1

True or not, it was great propaganda material.

Regards

Margaret

Hi ya Glyn

Well, even if its nothing more than a bit of propoganda, its a gorgeous story!! That said, us bedford boys are a sucker for a lost soul, so it may actually be true. :lol:

Joking aside, the appeal a little girl on deaths door would have had to these guys, hardened by the atrocities of war (on both sides) makes it believable IMHO. So many thimes Ive read about the trench hardened soldiers of all sides becoming experts on birds & other such defenceless creatures, tending a bird with a broken wing etc, AND the soldiers would have been reminded of their little ones at home when seeing the girl Id have thought. Soldiers throughout history (on the whole of course) seem tolike the thought of being the poverbial Knight in Shining Armour, riding to the rescue of the defenceless whoever .....

And if it was propoganda, surely the yarn woud have been extended to her visiting the Germans every day for months & months, bringing back information as she was "so grateful to good old tommy being there to save her country" & all that?

Hard to prove either way of course, but on balance Id stick my neck out & say it sounds like a believable-ish story to me. Just a shame we'll prob never know for sure!!

Either way, its a great post mate, thanks once again! :D

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Jimmy Knacky
Tim

I agree with you about different attitudes at different periods.  Its an argument which can equally be applied to attitudes to the welfare state.

Cheers

Tim

----edited: Please show some respect to fellow forum members, or please don't post ------

There was a book released recently about a French child that was adopted by an Australian unit. I haven't read it but I believe it was an Australian Flying Corps squadron that adopted him.

There was a book released recently about a French child that was adopted by an Australian unit. I haven't read it but I believe it was an Australian Flying Corps squadron that adopted him.

Nearly finished it, not a bad read.

Coplete with photos so has backup.

Cheers

Kim

i hope it is true,it will be another chapter in the human side of war,and the propaganda issue covers both sides,the paper seems to have reported the human kindness of both sides,truth or tosh,i still think its a nice story,good post shaymen,bernard