Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great news

eviltaxman

I've just returned from a meeting with a local Council official regarding Daniel Burges.

I've been given the go ahead to arrange for a plaque to be made in honour of Burges. He is (possibly) the only man in the UK not to have any form of marker.

Daniel Burges (b. 1873 d.1946) won his VC in the Balkans in 1918. He died here in Bristol and was cremated at my local cemetery.

The cemetry (Arnos Vale) is currently under going a major facelift and following talks, it looks like the current wall with plaques for those cremated will be torn down (the walls are very unsafe!) and a new wall of remebrence will be erected to replace it. It is hoped that the main wall facing the entrance will house the Burges' plaque.

The cemetery administrator has also confirmed that they have their own stonemason and the cost will be approx £300 (about 450 Euros). The plaque can be up to 18 inches (45cm) square... and I've got a choice of finishes - black marble, grey marble, slate grey etc.

All I have to do now is try to get funding - once I've got that, then the stonemason can get to work. In the meantime, I have to "design" the layout of the plaque and get it agreed....... then it's showtime!!

Les.

A worthy effort, methinks. Remind me not to complain about the Taxman too much!

And surely as this regards a WW1 VC winner it's very much ON topic, and should be somewhere like Soldiers or Cemeteries? Or do we all visit Utterly more?

Adrian

Les

I have moved this topic to an area that can be viewed by members and guests alike.

Very well done.

Andy

Tim - I had thought of placing this elsewhere, but given when he died... I thought mmmm maybe not. I think now though, I will add something to one of the other sections.

Soren - I've beaten ya to it! I've dropped a line to the local paper looking for any living relatives (the best sort really) for anything like photos etc. Getting the plaque shouldn't be too hard, but it's down to timing. The section of the cemetery it's (hopefully) going to be in, won't be finished for about 18 months or so.

I'll be contacting the WFA to see if they can help out with a small amount of funding. I was going to contact the VC people in London too, but I can't find there website - are they still running it?

The £300 quoted is for a marble plaque, but depending on funding (if I get more than £300) I'm hoping for something a little more austere. Anybody fancy chipping in?

Les.

Andy - Thanks for the move - I was in the middle of typing.... the rest is history as they say :lol:

Well done, Les. And good luck with completing the project.

Just to add details of his citation for everybody's reference:

Maj. (T./Lt.-Col.) Daniel Burges, D.S.O., Gloucestershire Regiment, Commanding 7th (Service) Battalion, South Wales Borderers

For most conspicuous bravery, skilful leading and devotion to duty in the operations at Jumeaux (Balkans) on the 18th September 1918. His valuable reconnaissance of the enemy first line trenches enabled him

to bring his battalion without casualties to the assembly point, and from thence he maintained direction with great skill, though every known landmark was completely obscured by smoke and dust. When still some

distance from its objective the battalion came under severe machine-gun fire which caused many casualties amongst company leaders. Lt.Col. Burges, though himself wounded, quite regardless of his own safety, kept moving to and fro through his command, encouraging his men and assisting them to maintain formation and direction.

Finally, as they neared the enemy's position, he led them forward through a decimating fire until he was again hit twice and fell unconscious. His coolness and personal courage were most marked throughout and afforded a magnificent example to all ranks.

Steve.

Les

Well Done!!

You could try contacting the Regimental Association. Thet meet on the the first Tuesday of each month at the RBL Club in Kendal Road, Staple Hill.

The Secretary is Major Mick Strong: mickstrong@blueyonder.co.uk

Dave

Well done, Les. And good luck with completing the project.

Just to add details of his citation for everybody's reference:

Maj. (T./Lt.-Col.) Daniel Burges, D.S.O., Gloucestershire Regiment, Commanding 7th (Service) Battalion, South Wales Borderers

For most conspicuous bravery, skilful leading and devotion to duty in the operations at Jumeaux (Balkans) on the 18th September 1918.

That is exactly what it is.. we call that "really hard" where i am from

Steve,

Thanks for posting the citation. I was in the process of copying over the text and thought I'd better double check - bad case of deja vu :lol:

Les.

Dave,

I had thought about the Regiment, but wasn't overly sure as to where they were...... this answers that one! I'l drop them a line and see what happens.

Jim - anyone who pegs it through gunfire like that must be "hard" - or just plain crazy...... I'll go with hard, especially as he's got a DSO too - I ain't gonna argue with him :lol:

Les.

LES

You area dark horse.This is supurb.Well done.Please can you let me have a copy of the story for,the local.w.f.a. news letter .This should be available at the next meeting.

CHEERS.

JOHN. <_<

LES

I have just fopund a V.C. and GEORGE CROSS ASSOCIATION on the web.I have tried to download the information but both my printers have packed up.try..www.veterensagency.mod.uk/rememberence/vc_guidlines IT LOOKS TO ME AS IF YOU WILL BE ABLE TO APPLY FOR A GRANT,OR,PART GRANT FOR THIS WORK.

cheers.

john :D

LES

I will try again .The association is."THE VICTORIA CROSS AND GEORGE CROSS ASSOCIATION.

You need to look at THE GRAVE RESTORATION FUND.

If you have diffivulty with this.I have now managed to down load an application form.

If you require this e-mail me off forum and I will give you my telephone number and you can ring me.

CHEERS.

JOHN. :D

John, I'll draft something up for the newsletter.... it won't be much as things have just started. Once done, I'll e-mail you direct.

Les.

Paul,

That was going to be one of my ports of call...... especially as I recently joined :ph34r: (hope they don't take it the wrong way).

Les.

Les,

Thanks for your reply, I have received info. on this subject

from you before and is most appreciated. I have also read

your posts on the Dutch VC. website on this VC.

Well done on your efforts with your council on the plaque !

Keep us informed on your progress.

Alan.

Alan,

Thanks for that.... and you're welcome too :D

The VC site is still in it's relative infancy...... but it must be picking up - I've become a moderator there. B)

See you around!!

Les.

• 3 weeks later...

Well folks, the Burges saga continues......

I rang Didi Grahame today. I think I caught her at a bad time - she seemed very busy!! It doesn't look like they received my last e-mail so I'll put something in writing tomorrow (while I'm at work :ph34r: )

However - really good news!!!!!!!!!! I had a small article in the local newspaper on Tuesday, just letting people know my intentions and were there any relatives around.... I had 3* phone calls on Tuesday evening and 1 last night. I get home from work today to find a message saying the local paper rang and want to do a bigger story :D

I'm due to meet them tomorrow evening (about 3.15pm) in the local cemetery, to have a few photos taken and an interview. They mentioned having about half a page on this story.

*One of the chaps that rang was about 17 years old in early 1945, when Burges paid the factory a visit. The factory was a "shadow factory" making canopies for Spitfires & Hurricanes. He arrived in full dress uniform, complete with sword and even spoke to this man. He said he remembers it like it was yesterday!!! He kept saying "he was very tall, but I'm quite short" :lol:

The saga continues..................

Les.

Just another update - things are really start to happen :D

I had and interview and photo's taken yesterday and now, today, the local paper have popped a story on their site.........

Burges - plaque interview

Once I get hold of a copy of the paper, I'll try and scan the article in.

Les.

I've got the paper, but the article is bigger than proposed :D I was going to scan it in and place a copy here, but my scanner is A4 and the paper is A3.

I would set up the thread to enable you to download it as a jpg (~850kb), but I can't suss it out. If you would like, I can e-mail it direct to you.

Cheers,

Les.

ps....... the photo of me is not very flattering!! :ph34r:

• 5 months later...

Hi folks,

Just a quick update on the plaque.....

I've just got back from a meeting with the stonemason - it looks like the £380 I've managed to raise won't be quite enough..... the plaque, lettering and 3 badges (Glosters, South Wales Borderers & VC) comes to £600.... I need another £220 :(

I'm not going to ask outright for donations, but if you would like to help out (and get a thank you in the book I'm writing on him), please contact me.

With luck the plaque will be ready by October.

I'll keep you updated as things progress.

Les.