Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Prideaux-Brune PoW 1918

stevenbecker

Mates,

Do you have any information on the capture of this officer.

Lt Fulke Knatchbull Priseaux-Brune 6th Inniskilling Dragoons.

I was informed he was reported as a PoW in 1918, can you tell me how he becaome a PoW and what unit.

I believed he may have been captured during the retreat of the 5th Army when the Cavarly Divisions were used as Infantry.

Cheers

S.B

Steve

Cox & Cos List of British Officer POWs lists Lt F K Prideaux-Brune, 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons as being captured on 23 March 1918, he was repatriated on 12 October 1918.

Regards

Steve

• 9 months later...

Steve,

Fulke Knatchbull Prideaux-Brune enlisted in the AIF on 28 Apr 1915 and was sent "for service abroad" on 25 Sep 1915. He had entered Australia shortly before, having resigned his commission in the British Royal Navy in 1912 at his own request. He named Mary Kathleen Garvan of New South Wales, his wife, as next of kin. He left Australia on the SB Argyllshire on 30 Sep 1915 and joined the BEF in Marseilles on 13 Jun 1916, having transferred from Alexandria. He was discharged from the AIP on 10 Nov 1916.

On 14 Aug 1916, a report had suggested that he be transferred to the RFC or given leave to return to UK, which is probably where the idea of the RFC arose for you.

A letter dated 17 Jan 1917 states that he was accepted into the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons, part of the 7th Cavelry Bde. On 25 Mar 1918, he was part of an unhorsed detachment with elements of the 17th Lancers that was sent to the front near Abbecourt. Fulke was seriously wounded and captured. The report on his condition, dated 12 Dec 1918, two months after his repatriation, states that he was hit on the head by a fragment of shell. Carried on but almost unconcious for two days. Some time later was blown up and remembers nothing for two weeks. The list of injuries is horrendous. He then retired to the country and passed away in 1939.

I hope this helps. If you would like more, please ask. Out of interest, what is your interest?

Best regards,

Keith Hamlyn

It seems there was a family of them. Father: Colonel Charles Robert Prideaux-Brune who had a long career in the in the army, starting with the Rifle Brigade in 1867 and then in the Volunteer Movement, and was commanding 2nd Battalion Cornwall Volunteers from 1917 as a Major.

Also his brother, T / Lt Colonel Denys Edward P-B DSO and bar who served in WW1 with the Rifle Brigade.

Terry Reeves

Mate,

My interest was only in finding out details of soldiers that served in the ALH (Australian Light Horse.

His service record shows only that he had served in the RFA pre war (no mention of RN service).

He served pre war as a Capt in the 7th LHR NSW Lancers CMF (Milita) and joined the AIF as shown as Lt and Adjt RHQ/12th LHR but didn't embark with that Regt, but embarked with the 9R/1st LHR (9th Reinforcement) as Capt.

He appears to have missed Gallipoli but joined the Australian Composite LHR of the Western Frontier Force in the west of Egypt fighting the Senssi in Dec 1915 to March 1916.

He was OC B Sqn and remained untill the disbandment of the composite force.

He went to France as APM (acting Provest Marshall) 4th Aust Div HQ and went to the 2nd Aust Div HQ and later joined the 21st BN AIF all in France.

He was discharged from the AIF to the British Army in Nov 1916 and the rest you have helped fill in on this man.

Thank you all for your help.

Cheers

S.B

• 3 months later...

Hi Steve,

Just a bit more for you:

Fulke was enlisted in the 1st Light Horse of the Australian Imperial Force on 28 Apr 1915 and then “for service abroad” on 25 Sep 1915. He stated his next of kin as his wife, Mary Kathleen, giving her address as Buyama, Victoria Road, Bellevue Hill. This cover for the service record also shows he was awarded the 1914/1915 Star no 196, the British War Medal and the Victory Medal, although other records would show that these did not arrive with Mary until 1922. There is an exchange of letters on this matter.

He proceeded to join the BEF in Marseilles on 13 Jun 1916, having transferred from Alexandria a week earlier. He was taken on strength by 4DBD, but this seemed to be only for a short duration, as he was moved to Belgium for attachment to Admin Headquarters and thence to 2nd Division Headquarters. He was discharged on 10 Nov 1916, although the release was not signed “in the field” until 11 Mar 1917. A short letter states that he joined the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons as a First Lieutenant immediately on his resignation.

Fulke joined the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons, part of the 7th Cavalry Brigade, on his return to the UK. According to the proceedings of the Medical Board, dated 5 Nov 18, "That when in Action on 25-3-18 he was struck on the helmet by a large piece of shell which smashed his helmet. Two or three days later he was blown up by an explosion.

This officer cannot remember subsequent events. He is paralysed from the thighs downwards but is now regaining power over his urine and faeces. The left eye is swollen and discharging conjunctivitis, marked photophobia. There are tremors in the arms, bed sores over back and heels. Dr Campbell Thompson reports "I think he has some injury to the dorsal region of the cord". "Repatriated 12-10-18"

The Medical Case Sheet, which supported the Medical Board Opinion of 12 Dec 19, stated that he lived then at Rodber, Wincanton, Somerset. The sheet states "G.S.W March 22nd 1918 on the Somme. Hit on the head by a fragment of shell. Carried on, but was more or less unconscious for two days. Some time later was blown up in a shell explosion and remembers nothing more for fourteen days. He was told that he was found up to his neck in water by some Germans, who then took him prisoner. No open wounds. Was a prisoner in Germany from (board torn) 25/18 to Oct 31/18.

The history of the action is based on a record in the Regimental War Diary, which states that he was sent to the front line with a detachment of dragoons and 17th Lancers to join French troops defending a railway line near Abbecourt.

There is an account of an action by the 76th French Infantry Regiment, who were fighting the area, probably the action Fulke was involved in that day. Hardly the action of someone who was reluctant to fight, as suggested by another thread!

Also 2nd Lieut. Edmund Nicholas Prideaux-Brune from the same family. KIA 22nd May 1918.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

I am trying to take Lt Prideaux-Brune's capture a bit further. The War Diary for the 6th Dragoon Guards for 25 Mar 18 shows Lt P-B remaining to support the French Army at a place called Bretigny-sur-Oise. In fact, he was probably sent to a cross-roads to the South West, although modern maps do not show this well. He led a dismounted detachment of two troops of dragoons and two troops of 17th/21st Lancers. His report of his injury states that the incident occurred by the railway line to the west of Abbecourt and Marest-Dampcourt, although he is states that he is a little hazy about exactly where (very reasonable under the circumstances!).

Assuming these to be correct, and there is little doubt that they are, I should like to try to find out how he got from the one to the other. The distance is quite sort, maybe a mile or so. Does anyone have any leads, say, for French regiments in the area, or for other reports that may shed light? Perhaps there are also German diaries that might help.

Many thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Keith

• 5 years later...

Hi all,

I read with interest this old, but very interesting thread concerning the career of Lt Fulke Knatchbull Prideaux-Brune because it would appear, I have his map case. Please refer to the pictures below. It still has inside what appears to be an original pencil that is well chewed on the end. I hope you find this as interesting as I found the information on him!

Regs

B

post-39159-0-78454200-1315851696.jpg

post-39159-0-12487900-1315851722.jpg

post-39159-0-28969800-1315851788.jpg

post-39159-0-42063400-1315852050.jpg

• 8 years later...

Interesting to read about the Prideaux-Brunes in Australia because there is a Brune Lane round the corner from where I live (Rowner, Hampshire) and the parish church has Prideaux-Brune memorials.

There is a big family seat near Padstow, Cornwall

spacer.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prideaux_Place

https://prideauxplace.co.uk/history/

"The house has changed little in the last four centuries. Prideaux Place as seen today is almost entirely the work of three members of the family. Sir Nicholas Prideaux in the 16th century, Edmund Prideaux in the 18th century and the Rev Charles Prideaux-Brune in the early 19th century.

The house now combines its traditional Elizabethan architecture with the 18th century exuberance of Strawberry Hill Gothic.  The house has 81 rooms and some of the finest are included in our guided tours. The North Wing, sadly inaccessible to visitors at the present time, remains as it was the day the 121st Engineer Combat Battalion of the  American Army marched from Prideaux to take up its role in the D Day Landings.

In 1988 Peter Prideaux-Brune inherited the house from his father, John, and with his wife, Elisabeth, began an extensive restoration  programme that continues to the present day."