Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rugby Union Internationalists who fell

Derek Robertson

There is a great deal of talent on the Forum, so much so that you can post on a topic and be led off in all different directions BUT learn and add to your knowledge all of the time.

An interest I have is Rugby Union. I've done some research on some players who fell in the war but always want to learn more (see the thread on W.T Forrest last week FORREST

What I have been thinking is that if we published a thread a week on a certain player then all the members who knew anything else could post what they also knew. In no time we'd have a great amount of facts and information.

And then: Chris is always looking for ways to financially support the Forum so I'd propose that all the gathered info could be brought together in one volume and possibly published - all profits being ploughed back in to the forum itself.

I think there is a market for a book on the Rugby Fallen of the Great War (just see how much a copy of Sewell's book on the subject commands).

Obviously other subjects could be covered but I would be up for editing any rugby material.

Is this a subject which would gain much support?

There is a great deal of talent on the Forum, so much so that you can post on a topic and be led off in all different directions BUT learn and add to your knowledge all of the time.

An interest I have is Rugby Union. I've done some research on some players who fell in the war but always want to learn more (see the thread on W.T Forrest last week FORREST

What I have been thinking is that if we published a thread a week on a certain player then all the members who knew anything else could post what they also knew. In no time we'd have a great amount of facts and information.

And then: Chris is always looking for ways to financially support the Forum so I'd propose that all the gathered info could be brought together in one volume and possibly published - all profits being ploughed back in to the forum itself.

I think there is a market for a book on the Rugby Fallen of the Great War (just see how much a copy of Sewell's book on the subject commands

Obviously other subjects could be covered but I would be up for editing any rugby material.

Is this a subject which would gain much support?

hiya derek,daft question this because i think i already know your answer,have you got the book,"the mobbs own",bernard

served but did not fall ...

Sir Basil McFarland, 2nd Bt

Sir Basil McFarland was an Irish Rugby International, 1920-1922. He married in 1924 Annie Kathleen (d.1942), second daughter of Andrew Henderson, JP, of Parkville, Whiteabbey, Belfast, by whom he had two children, including Sir John Talbot McFarland, 3rd and present Bt. He married secondly in 1955 Mary Eleanor, second daughter of William Dougan of Northland Road, Londonderry.

Public offices

Sir Basil was High Sheriff of the city of Londonderry, 1930-1938 and 1952, High Sheriff of Co. Londonderry, 1952, Mayor of the city of Londonderry, 1939 and 1945-1950, and HM Lieutenant of the city of Londonderry, 1939-1975. He served in 1918 with the Artists Rifles, and in the Second World War served overseas, mainly in North Africa, with the 9th Londonderry HAA Regiment and was mentioned in despatches. He was Commanding Officer of the Londonderry City Battalion of the Home Guard, Chairman of the Territorial Army and Auxiliary Force Association (Co. Londonderry), 1947-1962, and a member of its national Council, Hon. Colonel of the 9th Londonderry HAA Regiment of the Royal Artillery (TA), and President of the Northern Ireland TA and Volunteer Reserve Association, 1968-1971. He was a Commissioner of Irish Lights, an original member of the Northern Ireland Unemployment Assistance Board (to 1939), a Senator in the Northern Ireland Parliament, 1945-1950, a member of the Northern Ireland Air Advisory Council, 1946-1965, Chairman of the Londonderry Port and Harbour Commissioners, 1952-1967, a member of the London Midland Area Board of the British Transport Commission, 1955-1961, and a trustee of Magee University College, Londonderry, 1962-1965.

Business interests

His directorships and business interests included: directorships of the Belfast Banking Co. Ltd, 1930-1970, the Belfast Bank Executors Trustee Co., and the Donegal Railways Co., a local directorship of the Commercial Union Assurance Co., and the chairmanship of Sir Alfred McAlpine & Son (Northern Ireland) Ltd, the Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway Co., Lanes (Derry) Ltd, Lanes (Fuel Oils) Ltd, Lanes (Business Equipment) Ltd, John W. Corbett & Sons, R.C. Malseed & Co. Ltd, Alexander Thompson & Co. Ltd, and the Londonderry Gaslight Co. He died in 1986.

Surely the best story about Rugby and the war actually took place in 1920.

Jock Wemyss had been a Scottish player before the war and was to play in the first Scottish international after the war, in Paris.

The trainer came around the changing room handing out jerseys, but missed out Jock.

When he asked for a jersey he was solemnly informed that he had been issued with one in 1914 and ought to have kept it!

It was only when he threatened to play bare chested that they relented and gave him one.

Incidentally, right up into the 1970s the Scottish Rugby Union would buy 15 shirts each season, hand them out at the beginning of the match and take them back at the end! Anyone who swapped a shirt had to pay for a new one.

BBC Scotland did a documentary about the bizarre goings on (as in the above) in Scottish rugby in, I think, 1970 and the whole of the production team (right down to tea ladies and drivers) were banned for life from playing rugby in Scotland.They were said to be 'professional'.

Jock Wemyss had been a Scottish player before the war and was to play in the first Scottish international after the war, in Paris.

Jock lost an eye in the Great War and still made it back into the International scene.

The SRU policy of cheesing players off still exists - it was one of the reasons why Budge Poultney quite the game quite recently as he gave a young fan a small trinket and was asked by the SRU to pay for it later on.

Bernard - NO, I don't. :(

Here's a bit of rugby related trivia I came across - when Wemyss played for Scotland against France in 1920 he was not the only one-eyed player on the field! The game became known as 'le match des borgues', because no less than FIVE of the players had lost an eye during the war. Thierry and Lubin-Lebrere for the French, and Hume, Laing and Wemyss for the Scots. I'm not sure how this worked, since I was under the impression that two eyes were necessary to judge distance?

Swizz

Swizz,

Where did the info come from?

This is exactly the kind of information that I find fascinating and would probably never come across myself.

Hi Derek,

I came across it in this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1...4899068-6111005

There's not a great deal in it about the war years - and to be honest that's the only section I read. There are some figures about casualties I can give you if you're interested. But I couldn't believe that little snippet! Apparently that was the first post-war Five Nations fixture.

On a slightly different subject, I am interested in memorials. I know about national memorials in memory of fallen rugby players at Lansdowne Road and Ravenhill (Ireland), and at Twickenham, but do you know whether memorials were put up by the Scottish or Welsh rugby unions? It's no problem if you don't, I just thought I'd ask!

:)

Swizz

Swizz,

Thanks for the link, very interesting indeed.

There is a large Memorial at the south-east corner entrance to Murrayfield for the Scottish Internationalists who died in the war.

I don't remember it having any names on it though.

That's perfect and the fact that it has no names falls into the pattern of the memorials in Dublin and Twickenham. Thanks!

Derek

For some time I've been hapharadly researching the International Rugby players who served in the War. As far as I can determine the following is the full list of those who perished, in chronolgical order.

06 09 14 Mayssonnie, Xavier Adrien Alfred (‘Gastofer’): France

14 09 14 Simson, Ronald Francis: Scotland

16 09 14 Huggan, James Laidlaw: Scotland

17 09 14 Wilson, Charles Edward, Légion d’Honneur: England

20 09 14 Iguiniz, Emmanuel: France

23 09 14 Lane, Gaston: France

02 10 14 Anduran, Marie Jean Baptiste Joseph (Joé): France

15 10 14 Watson, James Henry Digby (‘Bungy’): England

31 10 14 Ross, James (‘Jummy’): Scotland

03 11 14 Robertson, Lewis: Scotland

25 11 14 Oakeley, Francis Eckley: England

21 12 14 Poeydebasque, Jean François: France

10 01 15 Turner, Frederick Harding (‘Tanky’): Scotland

21 01 15 Kendall, Percy Dale (‘Toggie’): England

24 01 15 Taylor, Charles Gerald: Wales

01 03 15 Lagden, Ronald Owen: England

21 04 15 Todd, Alexander Findlater: England/GB

25 04 15 Larkin, Edward Rennix (‘Teddy’): Australia

25 04 15 Swannell, Blair Inskip: GB/Australia

05 05 15 Poulton (later Poulton-Palmer), Ronald William: England

09 05 15 Berry, Henry: England

10 05 15 George, Harold Wesley: Australia

15 05 15 Dupré, Paul Edouard: France

22 05 15 Pearson, James: Scotland

24 05 15 Maclear, Basil: Ireland

26 05 15 Eutrope, Albert: France

03 06 15 Bain, David McLaren: Scotland

04 06 15 Nanson, William Moore Bell: England

27 06 15 Decamps, Paul Henri: France

27 06 15 Legrain, Marcel: France

28 06 15 Church, William Campbell: Scotland

28 06 15 Young, Eric Templeton: Scotland

06 07 15 Blair, Patrick Charles Bentley: Scotland

18 07 15 Tarr, Francis Nathaniel: England

31 07 15 Geen, William Purdon: Wales

08 08 15 Downing, Albert Joseph (‘Doolan’): New Zealand

19 08 15 Dewar, Henry (‘Norkey’): New Zealand

22 08 15 Dingle, Arthur James (‘Mud’): England

22 08 15 Wallace, William Middleton: Scotland

05 09 15 Bedell-Sivright, David Revell (‘Darkie’): Scotland/GB

08 09 15 Boudreaux, René Emile Henri: France

08 09 15 Verge, Arthur (‘Jack’): Australia

25 09 15 Deane, Ernest Cotton MC: Ireland

26 09 15 Dickson, Walter Michael: Scotland

28 09 15 Williams, Richard Davies Garnons: Wales

09 10 15 Guilleman, Pierre: France

13 10 15 Lambert, Douglas (‘Daniel’): England

17 10 15 Alexander, Harry: England

29 11 15 McNamara, Vincent: Ireland

09 12 15 Burgess, Robert Balderstone: Ireland

31 12 15 Dods, John Henry: Scotland

19 01 16 Howie, David Dickie: Scotland

14 03 16 Phillips, Louis Augustus: Wales

06 04 16 Ross, Andrew: Scotland

15 05 16 Morkel, Jan Willem Hunter (‘Jackie’): South Africa

31 05 16 Abercrombie, Cecil Halliday: Scotland

31 05 16 Wilson, John Skinner: Scotland

20 06 16 Thompson, Gerald W (‘Tommy’): South Africa

01 07 16 Fraser, Rowland: Scotland

07 07 16 Thomas, Edward John Richard (‘Dick’): Wales

09 07 16 Pillman, Robert Lawrence: England

11 07 16 Williams, John Lewis: Wales

14 07 16 Moll, Tobias Mortimer (‘Toby’): South Africa

14 07 16 Watts, David: Wales

18 07 16 Milroy, Eric (‘Puss’): Scotland

06 08 16 Haigh, Leonard: England

09 08 16 King, John Abbott: England

14 08 16 Pritchard, Charles Meyrick: Wales

02 09 16 Burgun, Marcel: France

03 09 16 Thomas, Horace Wyndham: Wales

18 09 16 Inglis, The Reverend Rupert Edward: England

11 11 16 Lacassagne, André: France

13 11 16 Maynard, Alfred Frederick: England

31 12 16 Larribau, Jean Aimé: France

?? 12 16 Dufau, Julien: France

04 02 17 Brett, Jasper: Ireland

25 03 17 Will, John George: Scotland

02 04 17 Lewis, Brinley Richard: Wales

09 04 17 Nelson, Thomas Arthur: Scotland

13 04 17 Ledger, Septimus Heyns: South Africa

16 04 17 Ihingoue, Daniel: France

19 04 17 Forrest, Walter Torrie MC: Scotland

28 04 17 Wade, Albert Luvian: Scotland

07 06 17 Baird, James Alexander Steenson: New Zealand

07 06 17 Sellars, George Maurice Victor: New Zealand

11 06 17 Raphael, John Edward: England

17 06 17 Dobbs, George Eric Burroughs L d’H: England

20 06 17 Isaac, Henri Emmanuel: France

20 06 17 Taylor, Reginald: New Zealand

21 06 17 McNeece, James: New Zealand

01 07 17 Wilson, Arthur James: England

29 07 17 Mobbs, Edgar Robert DSO: England

31 07 17 Henderson, James Young Milne (‘JY’): Scotland

31 07 17 Taylor, Alfred Squire: Ireland

20 08 17 Giacardy, Marc: France

27 08 17 Westacott, David: Wales

21 09 17 Black, Robert Stanley: New Zealand

04 10 17 Gallaher, David: New Zealand

04 10 17 Stewart, Albert Lewis DSO: Ireland

01 12 17 Campbell, John Argentine: Scotland

08 12 17 Steyn, Stephen Sebastian Leonard (‘Beak’): Scotland

14 12 17 Waller, Phillip Dudley: Wales/GB

29 12 17 Edwards, William Victor: Ireland

25 02 18 Lamond, George A W: Scotland

22 03 18 Hutchison, William Ramsay: Scotland

24 03 18 Hodges, Harold Augustus: England

09 04 18 Turtill, Hubert Sydney (‘Jum’) New Zealand

20 04 18 Hands, Reginald Harold Myburgh: England

22 04 18 Wallach, Clarence (‘Doss’): Australia

23 04 18 Harrison, Arthur Leyland VC: England

30 04 18 Harper, Eric Tristan: New Zealand

11 06 18 Conilh de Beyssac, Jean Jacques: France

09 07 18 Jones, Hubert [Herbert] A: Australia

05 08 18 Hedembaigt, Maurice: France

06 08 18 Hughes, Bryan Desmond MC: Australia

09 08 18 Slocock, Lancelot Andrew Noel: England

09 08 18 Tasker, William George (‘Twit’): Australia

30 08 18 Gordon, William (R?) Elphinstone: Scotland

11 09 18 Dodd, Ernest Henry: New Zealand

16 09 18 Boyau, Maurice Jean-Paul: France

17 09 18 Adamson, Charles Young: Great Britain

04 10 18 Sutherland, Walter Riddell: Scotland

05 11 18 Ridland, Alexander James: New Zealand

18 11 18 Schwarz, Reginald Oscar MC: England

01 12 18 Perrett, Frederick Leonard: Wales

?? Newton, Arthur Winstanley: England

?? Varvier, Theódore: France

I hope this helps.

Gareth

I picked it up in 'Rugby's Strangest Matches'. I got it in 'Past Times' a couple of months ago when I was in Britain.

It's also in 'Classic Rugby Clangers' that I bought at the same time.

Gareth,

Thank you very much for the list - some legendary names on it.

Jock lost an eye in the Great War and still made it back into the International scene.

The SRU policy of cheesing players off still exists - it was one of the reasons why Budge Poultney quite the game quite recently as he gave a young fan a small trinket and was asked by the SRU to pay for it later on.

Bernard - NO, I don't.  :(

edgar mobbs was an international rugby player,he raised a batt made up of friends and fans,i think tom morgan can help you with a copy,bernard

• 2 months later...

I'm just bringing the subject back up to the surface again (as the dark nights are now drawing in :blink: )

Rugby Stats is an interesting website which has began listing the names of internationalists and results of the games they played in etc. It is an excellent source of quick information.

And just for Max, Scotland v england 1912

My hero Walter Sutherland scoring against the "auld enemy".

Below is an image of Capt. John Lewis Williams which I had posted at some point last year. I remember that Dolphin had some information about him at the time, as he is on his list of players.

From CWGC:

Casualty Details

Name: WILLIAMS, JOHN LEWIS

Initials: J L

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Welsh Regiment

Unit Text: "C" Coy. 16th Bn.

Date of Death: 12/07/1916

Additional information: Son of Edward and Mary Williams, of Llwyncelyn, Whitchurch, Glamorgan; husband of Mabel Williams, of Caercady, Penarth. Former Welsh International Rugby Football player.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Plot 1. Row C. Grave 31.

Cemetery: CORBIE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

post-1571-1124847511.jpg

I have the following information on Capt J L Williams, some of which duplicates Botts Greys' post:

Wales Internationals: 17: 1906 SA- ; 1907 E+ (2t) S- I+ (3t) ; 1908 E+ S+ (1t) I+ (2t) A+ ; 1909 E+ (1t) S+ F+ (2t) I+ ; 1910 I+ (3t) ; 1911 E+ S+ (2t) F+ (1t) I+ ;

Anglo-Welsh Internationals: 2 : 1908 NZ- NZ=

John Williams was born on 3 January 1882 at Whitchurch, the son of Edward and Mary Williams; later husband of Mabel Williams.

Played as a Wing for: Cowbridge Grammar School, Cardiff, Whitchurch, London Welsh

Profession: Clerk in the Cardiff Coal Exchange

Remarks: In the 1904-1905 season he scored 35 tries for Cardiff. When playing for Cardiff v the 1906 Springboks, he became the only player on the tour to beat Springbok Fullback Arthur Marsberg’s tackle. Marsberg was so impressed with Williams’ swerve that he shook the Welshman’s hand after he had scored. he was the top try scorer of the 1908 Anglo-Welsh team in New Zealand. He played in 14 consecutive Welsh victories 1907-1911. Captained Wales v France in 1911 because he could speak French. 150 tries for Cardiff 1903-1914.

War service: Captain, ‘C’ Company, 16th Battalion, The Welsh Regiment (The Cardiff City Battalion), 115th Brigade, 38th (Welsh) Division. The battalion wore a special “Arms of Cardiff” collar badge.

In the early hours of 11 July the 115th Brigade relieved the 113th Brigade in the line at Mametz Wood, on the Somme. The Brigade was ordered to clear the remainder of Mametz Wood; during this attack the 16th Welsh suffered from machine gun fire and flamethrowers, and fell back slightly. A line through the Wood was held, but was withdrawn under a German night bombardment. Capt Williams was killed in action on 12 July 1916, at Mametz Wood, and is buried in Corbie Communal Cemetery Extension, Somme, France.

I hope this is interesting.

Gareth

I found the stories about Jock Wemyss in a couple of books of rugby anecdotes that I found in PAST TIMES.

There is probably a branch near you.

Here are some of the names from around the Welland Valley who "played" in the Mobbs Corp.

Ashwell, W.R. (Sutton Bassett) 15/9/14 'Mobbs Corps', (D Coy), 7th Battalion, Northamptonshire Regt.

Beall, P.C. (Stoke Albany), 15/9/14 'Mobbs Corps', (D Coy), 7th Battalion, Northamptonshire Regt.

Berry, F.R.W. 15/9/14 'Mobbs Corps', (D Coy), 7th Battalion, Northamptonshire Regt. (2nd. Lieut. 10th Royal Sussex)

Bridgeman, F. 15/9/14 'Mobbs Corps', (D Coy), 7th Battalion, Northamptonshire Regt.

Bridgeman, Pte. E. 12/10/15 'Mobbs Corps', (D Coy), 7th Battalion, Northamptonshire Regt.

Brown, G. 15/9/14 'Mobbs Corps', (D Coy), 7th Battalion, Northamptonshire Regt.

Craskwell, F. 15/9/14 'Mobbs Corps', (D Coy), 7th Battalion, Northamptonshire Regt.

Dimblebee, C. 15/9/14 'Mobbs Corps', (D Coy), 7th Battalion, Northamptonshire Regt.

Gilbert, Pte Tom * 12/10/15 'Mobbs Corps', (D Coy), 7th Battalion, Northamptonshire Regt.

Goosey, E.A. 15/9/14 'Mobbs Corps', (D Coy), 7th Battalion, Northamptonshire Regt.

Grainger, E. 15/9/14 'Mobbs Corps', (D Coy), 7th Battalion, Northamptonshire Regt.

Granger, Pte. E.J. * 5/10/15 'Mobbs Corps', (D Coy), 7th Battalion, Northamptonshire Regt.

Hammond, J. 15/9/14 'Mobbs Corps', (D Coy), 7th Battalion, Northamptonshire Regt.

Hammond, Pte. W.H. 5/10/15 'Mobbs Corps', (D Coy), 7th Battalion, Northamptonshire Regt.

Harris, Pte. W. * 12/10/15 'Mobbs Corps', (D Coy), 7th Battalion, Northamptonshire Regt. (2nd. Lieut. - 8th Battalion, Leicestershire Regt.).

Jennings, W.E. (Little Bowden),* 15/9/14 'Mobbs Corps', (D Coy), 7th Battalion, Northamptonshire Regt. [Picture]

Johnson, E.T. 15/9/14 'Mobbs Corps', (D Coy), 7th Battalion, Northamptonshire Regt.

Justice, Pte. A.E. * 15/9/14 'Mobbs Corps', (D Coy), 7th Battalion, Northamptonshire Regt.

Keech, Pte. Donald F. 12/10/15 'Mobbs Corps', (D Coy), 7th Battalion, Northamptonshire Regt. [Picture]

Keech, Pte. R. Brampton 12/10/15 'Mobbs Corps', (D Coy), 7th Battalion, Northamptonshire Regt.

Kilborn, F. * (Desboro’), 15/9/14 'Mobbs Corps', (D Coy), (D Coy), 7th Battalion, Northamptonshire Regt.

Looms, Pte. John * 15/9/14 'Mobbs Corps', (D Coy), 7th Battalion, Northamptonshire Regt. Later in the war he was in the Royal Garrison Artillery.

Matthews, Pte. J.W. 12/10/15 'Mobbs Corps', (D Coy), 7th Battalion, Northamptonshire Regt.

Mobbs, Lieut. Col. E.R. D.S.O.* 15/9/14 7th Battalion, Northamptonshire Regt.

Smith, Pte. T.J. * 12/10/15 'Mobbs Corps', (D Coy), 7th Battalion, Northamptonshire Regt.

Strongman, W.E.C. 15/9/14 'Mobbs Corps', (D Coy), 7th Battalion, Northamptonshire Regt.

Trasler, C. 15/9/14 'Mobbs Corps', (D Coy), 7th Battalion, Northamptonshire Regt.

Wilkinson, A.J. (Alfred) * 15/9/14 'Mobbs Corps', 'D' Coy., 7th Battalion, Northamptonshire Regt.

Wilkinson, Pte. Isaac * 12/10/15 'Mobbs Corps', 'D' Coy., 7th Battalion, Northamptonshire Regt.

Wood, S. 15/9/14 'Mobbs Corps', 'D' Coy., 7th Battalion, Northamptonshire Regt.

• 4 years later...

Drek, I can se this post is old, having found it googling. Did your rugby book idea ever take off?

Currently engaged in digging up Rosslyn park players who fell 14-18. Astonishing stuff. Trying to raise money for a new memorial as if there ever was one, we lost it!

See www.rugbyremembers.co.uk

Cheers

Wife is furious with all the mess...

Thought this story may be of interest

On April 13th a Rugger match was played at Pont de Nieppe between teams representing the 4th and 48th Divisions, and resulted in a victory for the latter. Here Lieut. Ronald Poulton-Palmer of the 1st/4th, who captained the side, played his last game. He had been an England international threequarter. He commented in a letter:-

The match was quite amusing. We won 14-0 and there were millions of Generals there.

Actually the score was 17-0. In his journal he wrote:-

After breakfast drove into Nieppe in a motor lorry to see an exhibition of bomb throwing. After that we drove in a motor ambulance to Armentieres to have lunch and to shop. This town seems none the worse and there is plenty of business, though everything is expensive.

After lunch we moved to Nieppe and I played rugger for the South Midland Division against the 4th Division. It was an amusing game; we had opposite us players like W J Tyrrell [ireland captain], H J S Morton [Cambridge and England]; J G Kep[pell [ireland trials]; W P Hinton [ireland full back] and were refereed by Basil Maclear [ireland] I had a goodish side, mostly 5th Gloucesters and we won 14-0 but they stuck it well considering their condition. Several of the Liverpool Scottish from Ypres came over including Dum Cunningham and Dick Lloyd. It was splendid to see so many rugger players about. I changed in the room of the Captain of the 4th Divisional Staff. They lived in great style, quite unneccesary I thought. In fact they rather bored me. They ought to do a turn in the trenches with us all. Back to bed.

They played only 25 minutes each way as the 4th Division players had come from active duty in the trenches. The referee, Capt Basil Maclear of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers and Ireland was killed a few weeks later. One of the touch judges was Lt Col G F Collett DSO who had played for Cambridge and Gloucestershire he supplied Ronald's father with a full team list:-

48th Division

full back Pte C Cook 1/5 Glosters wounded

three quarters Pte Washbourne 1/5 Glosters

Pte S Hamblin 1/5 Glosters

Lt R W Poulton-Palmer 1/4 R Berks Liverpool & England - killed

Pte F Webb 1/5 Glosters wounded

half backs Pte S Sysum 1/5 Glosters killed

L Cpl A Lewis 1/5 Glosters MC & Bar

Forwards Lt C R M F Cruttwell 1/4 R Berks Oxford trials

Lt L R C Sumner 1/5 Glosters MC - wounded

Capt F H Deakin 1/5 Warwicks Moseley & Midland Counties - wounded

Pte J Harris 1/5 Glosters Gloucester - wounded

L Cpl Millard 1/5 Glosters killed

Pte A Cook 1/5 Glosters Gloucester - wounded

Pte S Smart 1/5 Glosters Gloucester, Gloucestershire & England

another unnamed

4th Division

Full back 2 Lt W P Hinton 3 R Irish Wesley College, Ireland & Barbarians

Three quarters J N Thompson London Scottish

unknown Capt W J Tyrrell RAMC RBAI, Queens U & Ireland

Capt H J S Morton RAMC Cambridge U, Blackheath & England

J G Keppell Ireland trials

Capt R S Fraser 1 Rifle Bde Edinburgh Univ Cambridge U and Scotland

D Cunningham 1/10 Liverpools Liverpool

Lt R A Lloyd 1/10 Liverpools Liverpool & Ireland

7 unkown

If anyone knows anything more about this match we would love to hear. A friend of mine is publishing a book later this year of Rugby and WW1

regards

John