Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major W.T Forrest - Rugby Internationalist

Derek Robertson

A few years ago I did some research on Walter Forrest, the Scotland Rugby Internationalist who was killed at Gaza in 1917.

I thought that I had uncovered as much information as I could on him.

However this week, a gentleman called Gethyn Rees saw Forrest's name listed on the Pals' Death Plaque site and enquired who it was that was interested in him.

Gethyn has also done some research on Forrest and he was able to tell me that there was a link between him and Wilfred Owen! I was bowled over by this news as you can imagine. :o

Walter Torrie Forrest was born in Kelso in November, 1880, the son of George Forrest, a famous fishing tackle maker in the town (the shop is still trading in Kelso Square).

From an early age Wattie demonstrated a high degree of aptitude for sport and was a versatile, gifted all-round sportsman, playing football, golf, fishing and cricket, where being ambidextrous, he was able to bat right-handed and bowl left-handed. He also excelled at rugby and made the difficult decision to devote his talents to Hawick Rugby Club because his native Kelso were in a lower rugby division. Wattie quickly became an established member of the Hawick team playing as a centre.

Walter was chosen to play for Scotland against Wales in February, 1903. When news of his call up reached Kelso, a crowd assembled at the station to await his arrival by the last train from Hawick.

Forrest became the automatic first choice selection as Scotland’s fullback. His play, for both the Hawick club and his country was cavalier, characterised by boundless energy and vigour with an apparent disregard for safety, it being said that he had an amazing ability to get out of trouble which sometimes seemed of his own making. A contemporary was heard to comment that: ‘Forrest gets into these ‘hats’ for the sake of getting out of ‘em!’

The 1/4th Bn.K.O.S.B. which had been held in reserve at Gaza on 19th April, 1917, were ordered forward, over the blood soaked, corpse strewn hillside, to retake the Turkish redoubt positioned on ‘Outpost Hill’.

The officer in command of the attack, Major Walter Forrest, rallied the remaining survivors of the previous attacks and together with his own men, gave the order to fix bayonets and await the command to charge. An observer later wrote:

‘When all was ready, Major Forrest, the Wattie Forrest of the football field, led his men forward for the last time. This charge of men from almost every unit in the 155th Brigade was a most inspiring site. Under a murderous fire, which struck down many, they rushed up the hill. Major Forrest was mortally wounded as he entered the work, and there fell one of the best of soldiers, best of friends and best of sportsmen in the Division.’

The Owen connection for Forrest:-

Wilfred Owen's mother, Susan, was a close friend of Nelly Bulman (nee Roderick) the daughter of the Oswestry doctor, Owens family were from Oswestry. Nelly moved to Kelso with her three grown up children when she was widowed. In 1912 The whole Owen family visited the widowed Nelly and her children, John, Bill and Blanche. Blanche happened to be the fiancée of Walter Forrest and Wilfred Owen became a friend of Forrest through Blanche!

It was not a happy visit to Scotland for Owen, he found that Bill and Forrest were powerful rugby players and John was a riotous medical student who shocked Owen with his stories, swearing and drinking. Owen tended to keep himself to himself and stuck his head in a book to his fathers disappointment.Owen did like the Bulman family and Forrest even though his differences to them were quite obvious. The Bulmans and Forrest made him welcome in Kelso and Owen stayed for a fortnight.

When Owen was admitted to Craiglockhart he was reminded of his visit in 1912 to Kelso and Edinburgh, his hosts had suffered quite badly in the war, Bill Bulman was killed in Gallipoli and we know what happened to Forrest.

Apparently these two deaths affected Owen and did not help his rate of recovery at hospital. There may also be a tenuous link regarding Forrest and the poem "Hospital Barge". This famous poem was written soon after Owen had read the news of Forrest's death. This apparently led Owen to think deeply of his brother officer Gaukroger who was literally blown to pieces and Owen was forced to shelter with his remains for quite a while. Owen being made to remember death again by the news of Forrest was the straw that broke the camels back, Owen's mental state is well known.

An incredible story and I am indebted to the Death Plaque site and Gethyn for bringing this amazing piece of history to my attention.

post-172-1116580610.jpg

Pity you did not have this in time for your book on the men from Hawick, but it is still there for the reprint.

Hope you got those knees washed after your trip to Ypres with the Forum. Sorry I missed you on Saturday at the Museum Passchendaele 1917, hope you visited the Royal Irish Fusiliers exhibition. Interested in your comments

:)

I'm not at home at the moment so can't check, but I'm pretty sure the connection to Walter Forrest and Owen's visit to Kelso is covered in some detail in Dominic Hibberd's biography of Owen.

I have a feeling that the death of Walter Forrest is also mentioned in a letter from Owen (or possibly to him) - when I'm home I'll double check, and post the info if my memory is right.

Alan

Alan,

Yes, the Wilfred Owen Association website states the following:

"It is instructive to read the letters he wrote either side of his 10th May account. Before, on 8th May, he had just read of the death of an old friend Walter Forrest, leading him to recall the demise at Savy Wood of brother officer H.Gaukroger "who lay not only near by but in various places round and about."

I'm not familiar with Dominic Hibberd's biography of Owen - so any light you can throw on his friendship with Forrest would be well received.

Arthur - my knees were fine thanks mate! The Royal Irish Fusiliers exhibition was well done, especially considering the value of all the medals you had on display.

Captain W T Forrest's MC was Gazetted on 25 November 1916, the citation was: For conspicuous gallantry in action. He carried out a daring reconnaissance and obtained most valuable information. He has on many previous occasions done very fine work.

Gareth

From Hibberd's Wilfred Owen, the following precis: -

July 1912 - the Owens stayed with Nelly Bulman and family. Wilfred arrived a few days after the rest of the family, delayed by parish duties (Wilfred was then at Dunsden). Wilfred looked exhausted and ill when he reached Kelso, according to his brother Harold. The Bulmans lived in Kelso as stated in the original post, but they and the Owens spent part of the summer in the Bulman's country cottage at Yetholm.

Whilst at the cottage, Walter Forrest took Harold and Colin Owen fishing, Wilfred read. He did compete with Forrest and the Bulman sons at rifle shooting; they were apparently impressed by his skill.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is probably more in Harold Owen's autobiography, let me know if you are interested.

In terms of the letters, his letter of 8th May 1917 to his sister Mary mentions Forrest, albeit not in great detail. "I saw in the Casualty list about May 1 : Major W. Forrest, KOSB International Footballer. I could find no room for doubt about poor old Walter."

He also wrote to Blanche Bulman on 1st July 1917, sympathising (her son Bill as mentioned previously had been killed as well as Walter) stating "I have endured unnameable tortures in France; but I know that I have not suffered by this War as you have and are suffering."

There is one further reference in passing to Walter Forrest in a letter to his mother on the 8th August 1917.

Alan

Alan,

That was very kind of you to extract the information for me, much appreciated.

I'm fascinated by this.

Yetholm is not too far from Kelso.

I must try and find a copy of Hibberd's Wilfred Owen - is it the best book on the subject?

Derek,

There is an earlier biography by Jon Stallworthy; personally I think Hibberd's is the better of the two. It's very readable, and covers Owen's life in quite some detail.

Another very interesting read (but not so easy to find) is Harold Owen's biography, Journey from Obscurity, which is in three volumes and has obviously a lot of coverage of Wilfred as Harold's elder brother. Out of print though, and not cheap! Also, a little bit biased as to what Harold wanted to present about Wilfred - something that Hibberd also covers in his biography.

Regards

Alan

Thanks again Alan :D