Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

british WWI bicycles

Gijoe

Hello has someone informations and pics abot british WWI bicycles. Models, introduction, Units with Bicycles ?

Thanks for Informations

Hello has someone informations and pics abot british WWI bicycles. Models, introduction, Units with Bicycles ?

Thanks for Informations

This website is devoted to the Huntingdonshire cyclists and contains lots of interesting information:

http://www.huntscycles.co.uk/

There is a sub-page regarding the use of old bicycle models for re-enacting:

http://www.huntscycles.co.uk/Chums.htm

Hope this helps,

Gloria

I can't tell you the name of the bikes, but attached is a photo of the New Zealand Cyclist Corps 1918. They were on the Western Front from 1916, but spent much of their time digging and laying cables - too much mud for cycling! They did some message work on their bikes. There is an Official History of the Regiment - written 1922 by Officers titled "Regimental History of the New Zealand Cyclist Corps in the Great War 1914-1918"

Regards

Andrew

There are a number of previous threads covering the Army Cyclist Corps.

If you type the ACC name into the forum search facility you will find them.

Dave

Hi

There was a standard frame British folding bicycle for the Great War, (no it did not look like the WW2 version), but I can't find the photo I have of one. Interesting machine with a large brass handle to unscrew the frame parts, which folded back on each other, also it was as heavy as hell, if I can find the the picture I'll post it.

There are a number of previous threads covering the Army Cyclist Corps.

If you type the ACC name into the forum search facility you will find them.

Dave

Hello

I am afraid the search engine does not work with 3 letters words....

Unfortunatly....

Best regards

Thanks for Informations

The WWI folding Bike was the "Pedersen" , the WWII was a BSA. Hard to find Pics.

I look for pics and Technical Informations from WWI Standard Bikes. Which manufacturers which colors ? I have belonged that the Swiss Army adoptet the british desing for the M1905 Militärfahrrad.

Yesterday I came across in a library a copy of The London Cyclist Battalion, published in1932, the history of the 26th Middlesex (Cyclist) Volunteer Corps, which claimed to be the only British Army unit devoted entirely to the development of cyclist tactics. Under the Haldane reforms it eveolved into the 25th (Cyclist) Battalion, the London Regiment. One of the cushiest war postings must have been its deployment to the Devon coast around Teignmouth.

David Bailey, The Story of Chiseldon Camp Part OPne 1914-1922, ublished in 1998, has a fine picture of a soldier-cyclist on its front cover and another inside showing

how the equipment and rifle were mounted on the machine.

UNits at Chiseldon included the 25th (Cyclist) Battalion, the London Regiment, the 6th Cyclist Battalion the Suffolk Regiment, the 2/6th Cyclist Battalion Royal West Sussex Regiment, the 1/9th Cyclist Battalion Royasl Hampshire Regiment and the 1/1st Kent Cyclist Battalion. At Chisledon (then a more common spelling than Chiseldon), these units were reorganised as infantry and in February 1916 the ex-cyclists left for India.

Chisledon became the Army Cyclist Corps HQ in early 1916, with the Canadian and Australian Cyclist Corps also using the camp for training. After training, British soldiers were posted on active service, often serving as line-of-communication troops, controlling traffic and managing stragglers from battlefields.

I seem to recall a pre-WWI publication showing how cyclists could alarm enemy cavalry horses by upending their machines and turning the pedals manually, causing the rear wheel to spin. I also recall recent talk of the Swiss Army finally abolishing their cycle-mounted troops; I have some the stamp-labels used on their mail during WWI showing soldiers in German-style helmets.

TD60

Search fro Army Cyclist Corps (not ACC). :D

Dave

Please find attached photo of A Sect 'A' Coy 6th Cyclist Bn Suffolk Regt.

post-1365-1116706888.jpg

Many thanks for the Pic,

That is up to now the best information !

On sees different bicycle models !

An other rifle clip as with the later MkV.

Has someone details about the Rifle clip ?

How fastens soldiers other Equipment ?

Me interests also the colour from this bikes.

In my eyes, are WWI bicycles militarized civilians in "classic black".

1. The general system of distributing the articles of

equipment and field kit will be as follows, subject to the

modifications necessary to suit different pattern bicycles:-

(a) On the cyclist----

Personal clothing, accoutrements (less pack and

Mess tin), bayonet and entrenching implement,

S.A.A., one day's rations.

(B) On the cycle-

On front carrier-

Great coat rolled in waterproof sheet and mess tin

Containing unexpended portion of day's ration.

On rear carrier-

Pack or valise carrier containing blanket, also

small kit, and, if necessary, extra ammunition,

waterproof cape carried rolled on top of, and'

outside, pack.

In clips:-

.Rifle. .

2. If the unit is not in possession of the infantry equipment,

pouches should be used for ammunition in preference

to bandoliers, which prevent freedom of breathing when cycling

up hill or on heavy roads.

3. Officers of cyclist battalions are not armed with the

sword in war, but should carry either revolver, pistol or rifle.

4. Staff sergeants and instructors of cyclist battalions of the Territorial Force will carry swords on ceremonial parades without cycles.

Joe Sweeney

A number of British manufacturers had War Department contracts to supply bicycles including, Triumph, Rover, Humber, Rudge and BSA. The "Cyclist" magazine of the period, particulary the 1914/15 editions have some fantastic stories of derring-do about soldiers on bicycles non of which are true, but make interesting reading.

Terry Reeves

Joe thanks for this informations.

For me as ciliyst ist this System absolutely logically.

But, orginal photos show the byciles without front carrier.

Besides , on sees different Rifle Clip Systems.

The Clip System on the diagram is saw only at WWII Bikes.

Again a few questions ???

Used the ACC especially for the Army built Bicycles, or militarized civilian manufacturing in Classic Black ?

The different models on the photos point to civilians.

The Colour is difficult to interpret from B&W Photos. In my eyes to dark for O.D or khaki.

an unresolved mystery of history.

;)

Joe thanks for this informations.

For me as ciliyst ist this System absolutely logically.

But, orginal photos show the byciles without front carrier.

Besides , on sees different Rifle Clip Systems.

The Clip System on the diagram is saw only at WWII Bikes.

Gijoe,

The diagram comes from a 1917 dated Training manual for Cyclists. The attached photo shows the arrangement in fact. In 1915 there were 4 Marks of Bicycles in services with MKIV being the pre-eminent. There were also lots of bikes of Civilian pattern in service(particularly with Terriers) which might have stayed in the civilian colour of Black. There were also two marks of kit carriers in service both having a front and rear carrier. The one on this bicycle is a MkII carrier. There were also two Mks of Rifle clips note the one in the diagram is the same as the one in the photo, in use long before WWII.

I don't know what color they were painted. I would assume purpose built to have been painted "Drab"

Joe Sweeney

Hello Joe

Thanks that is the info that i looking for !

I found an other Rifle Clip System.

Note the brake System from this bike !

stange.jpg

Could this leather and spring steel clip be the type used on bicycles? I found some in a surplus store 20+ years ago. Not a single military mark seen at all. On the broad base there are two holes drilled through, which I assume are for affixing the clip to another object.

post-6040-1117436261.jpg

Grant:

Could this leather and spring steel clip be the type used on bicycles?  I found some in a surplus store 20+ years ago.  Not a single military mark seen at all.  On the broad base there are two holes drilled through, which I assume are for affixing the clip to another object.

As I understand it, such clips are from WW2 vehicles, but are for storing rifles when not in use.

• 1 month later...
FYI,

Found this on the Society of the Military Horse Website.

mkiv.jpg

Joe Sweeney

Joe.... Beautiful pic! And the website is very good! Thanks!

Gloria