Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Something of interest for the 13th Essex boys...

Max Poilu

Giles

Interesting stuff for us Essex boys

Any idea of dating it ?

Glyn

What a brilliant little find Giles!

Exactly what I've been trying to avoid since I was about 16 :D

Michael

Thanks for the comments. The 'man with dog' has 'RP' on his cuff - Regimental Police I believe?

AGWR,

Interesting date - how did you work that out?

Giles,

As I said, it was only a guess! I was under the impression that 13th Essex were only at Clipstone Camp for a short time in the summer of 1915 before the battalion moved to Perham Down.

Regards,

AGWR

Good guess AGWR!

First a quote from Burrows, Volume 6 on recruiting end 1914, beginning 1915:

“ Recruiting was brisk and on January 23rd over 300 men had joined, upon which date the following advertisement appeared in The Stratford Express : ‘County Borough of West Ham. 13th (Service) Battalion Essex Regiment (West Ham) : No Gas Bag Invasion can alarm us. True manhood will win. Join your friends in the West Ham Battalion who have already enlisted (names follow). Men resident in the Borough are being billeted at home. Allowance 2s. per day; immediate equipment. – HENRY DYER, Major.” (page 387)

“ The Battalion was gradually hardened to war service and when it entrained for Clipstone, Notts., on August 1st, it was at full strength and in fine condition. The 33rd Division was being formed in this area, under Major-General Sir F. Stanley Maude, and the 13th Essex joined the 100th Brigade, of which the other units were 16th Middlesex, 17th Middlesex and 16th K.R.R. On August 18th the Division was transferred to Perham Down Camp, Salisbury Plain, where it underwent further training and there received orders for France.” (page 388)

(Bold added by me....)

In retrospect I suppose it wasn’t really a guess on AGWR’s part: where else would they get their hair clipped?

Cheers Michael

I am going to have to buy a copy of Burrows... I understand that it might be reprinted in its entirety next year by N&MP. The volume that covers the 13th Battalion is quite expensive secondhand, isn't it? If I can't wait until then, how much would I have to pay?

Regards,

AGWR

Interesting photo.. The photographer travelled a long way to get this, which seems surprising... unless this was the norm

Ley St Ilford is a good 100miles away, he must have done a job lot there

John

John,

Yes, that is interesting - there must be a local connection, Ilford is but a stone's throw from West Ham of course - home of 'The Hammers Battalion'. 'My man' was from Leytonstone as were many of the 13th.

I am going to have to buy a copy of Burrows... I understand that it might be reprinted in its entirety next year by N&MP. The volume that covers the 13th Battalion is quite expensive secondhand, isn't it? If I can't wait until then, how much would I have to pay?

Regards,

AGWR

Seen it for anything between 100-200 pounds.

Always seem to find it on www.abebooks.com

Glyn