Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

G/16514 Sgt H Gresley 1Btn Royal Fusiliers

Stuart Brown

I would be grateful if someone could supply the DCM citation for the above named or any other snippets of information regarding him.

Walker's book lists the London Gazette date as 11 March 1920 and a search online found an entry in the Gazette for 3rd June 1919 but I did not find the citation. An entry appeared in the local newspaper for the 6th June 1919 but that was just his name and number.

This post originates from a painting which a friend and I believe possibly to be Great War related as the the title is Dyke O.P.(Observation Post? ) and it has the appearance of a heap of bricks with metal spikes (War Damage?) Click on Dyke O.P. above for second thread in "Battlefields - Western Front".

Harold Gresley was one of a third generation of Derbyshire painters and it is believed that the painting in question is an image from the Great War. Hopefully we can identify Dyke O.P. in the other thread.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Here's the entry you're after:

G/16514 Sjt. H. Gresley, 1st Bn., R. Fus.

(Derby).

Throughout the operations in October and

November, 1918. he repeatedly went forward

well in advance of our troops and brought.,

back very valuable information. On 7th

November, 1918, after the battalion had been

held up at St. Vaast La Valee, he went forward

with the leading wave under a barrage

and pointed out their objectives.

The online Gazette issue shows as 9 March 1920.

Gary

Gary,

That is excellent, thank you very much.

The fact that he "he repeatedly went forward

well in advance of our troops and brought.,

back very valuable information"

is looking good regarding the Observation Post Query.

Once again, thanks.

Stuart

On 5th November the 1/RF advanced from Jenlain (SE of Valenciennes), passing through Wargnies le Grand (direction Maubeuge). Moving forward 5000 yards they came into contact with the enemy 1000 yards west of the Hogneau stream, east of Bavai. Under MG and artilery fire they held this position. On the 6th they advanced but were held up by German rearguards on high ground on the other side of the stream. On the 7th the advance was continued by the 3/Rifle Brigade and the 1/RF went into billets in Bavai where they remained until Armistice Day.

• 2 years later...

Harold Gresley was my Great Great Uncle. His brother was my Great Grandad, Horace Gresley, RQMS, Royal Tank Corps. Thanks so much for posting the citation, that was terrific to see. Was it ever determined whether the Dyke OP picture was the location of his DCM action?

If anyone could recommend a good source of information about My Great Grandfather's career in tanks, I'd be grateful. I know he was wounded at some point during he war, being invalided home to Dan y Coed near Swansea Bay. My Gran's 96 and still remembers him in his hospital blues! He'd been in the Artillery prior to joining the Tank Corps, and my Gran always maintains he'd served in South Africa too - not sure about that last bit, but all the rest's assured. After the war, he and my Great Gran ran The Lord Derby in Odiham in Hampshire. They'd met when my Great Gran ran The Volunteer in Aldershot!

His son, Stanley Horace Gresley was on the beach at Dunkirk a couple of decades later with 10th Field Regt, RA. He escaped Dunkirk only to be shipped out to the Far East. Sadly, he's still there, at Kohima.

Anyway, I've just 'enlisted' in this site, and it's been a revelation so far, so thanks!

Popski

Welcome to the Forum, Popski.

Have you looked at Horace's medal Index card yet?

Medal card of Gresley, Horace

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Field Artillery 31862 Warrant Officer Class 2

Tank Corps 78245 Corporal

Tank Corps 78245 Regimental Quarter Master Serjeant

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

His Tank Corps number suggests a fairly early transfer to the Tank Corps (early 1917).

Harold's is here:

Medal card of Gresley, Harold

Corps Regiment No Rank

2nd Royal Fusiliers 16514 Private

2nd Royal Fusiliers GS/16514 Serjeant

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

Steve.

Well, that's really interesting, I wasn't even aware that you could access these records online. Harold's is actually on the same slide as Horace's. Thanks for the information, I'm grateful.

where would one explore the Tank Corps' records - Bovington? I'd love to try to find out the actions he was involved in.

Many thanks again.

Guy

Popski

On a side note Dan - Y - Coed House is still there is Swansea, pretty close to the TA Centre on Oystermouth Road on the sea front as you drive from Swansea into Mumbles, has a superb view over looking Mumbles bay.

It was used in the 1980's as a sort of trainning centre as went and stayed there a few time myself with the my school for weeekend courses.

It was used as a hospital during WW1 as Swansea had very good rail links and a very large & well used docks in WW1 as well.

Simon

Was it ever determined whether the Dyke OP picture was the location of his DCM action?

Hello Popski,

Sorry delay - broadband problems. Reference the above, nothing is known yet.

Stuart

• 6 months later...
Guest brispencer
Harold Gresley was my Great Great Uncle. His brother was my Great Grandad, Horace Gresley, RQMS, Royal Tank Corps. Thanks so much for posting the citation, that was terrific to see. Was it ever determined whether the Dyke OP picture was the location of his DCM action?

If anyone could recommend a good source of information about My Great Grandfather's career in tanks, I'd be grateful. I know he was wounded at some point during he war, being invalided home to Dan y Coed near Swansea Bay. My Gran's 96 and still remembers him in his hospital blues! He'd been in the Artillery prior to joining the Tank Corps, and my Gran always maintains he'd served in South Africa too - not sure about that last bit, but all the rest's assured. After the war, he and my Great Gran ran The Lord Derby in Odiham in Hampshire. They'd met when my Great Gran ran The Volunteer in Aldershot!

His son, Stanley Horace Gresley was on the beach at Dunkirk a couple of decades later with 10th Field Regt, RA. He escaped Dunkirk only to be shipped out to the Far East. Sadly, he's still there, at Kohima.

Anyway, I've just 'enlisted' in this site, and it's been a revelation so far, so thanks!

Popski

Interesting, he was my Grandfathers brother and I came to this thread through following the artists in the family as I have just been bequeathed a painting by either his father or himself, not sure yet as I haven't received it.

However, what I am interested in is, are there records available of second war. The ones on the site referred to in this thread tend to be 1st war and I am trying to trace records of my father who was a Coldtream Guard captured near Dunkirk and spent four years in POW camp. Any advice please ?

• 3 months later...
Guest brispencer

Popski

You're not going to believe this but you and I are related. My mother comes from the Gresley side of the family and I think he was also my Great Great Uncle but, I can't quite work it out. I have a family tree but I can't print or display it in it's entirety so it gets a bit confusing.

My mother's cousin Harold Gilman Gresley- Grey (they added the -Grey) around Clarences time died last Thursday ( I shall miss him) and had in his possession 3 or 4 Gresley paintings. I have been given one, a lovely watercolour of Grange in Borrowdale (lake district) by Harold Gresley.

Regards

Brian

• 1 year later...

QUOTE (popski @ Mar 6 2008, 09:22 AM) Harold Gresley was my Great Great Uncle. His brother was my Great Grandad, Horace Gresley, RQMS, Royal Tank Corps. Thanks so much for posting the citation, that was terrific to see. Was it ever determined whether the Dyke OP picture was the location of his DCM action?

Popski

You're not going to believe this but you and I are related. My mother comes from the Gresley side of the family and I think he was also my Great Great Uncle but, I can't quite work it out. I have a family tree but I can't print or display it in it's entirety so it gets a bit confusing.

My mother's cousin Harold Gilman Gresley- Grey (they added the -Grey) around Clarences time died last Thursday ( I shall miss him) and had in his possession 3 or 4 Gresley paintings. I have been given one, a lovely watercolour of Grange in Borrowdale (lake district) by Harold Gresley.

Regards

Brian

Brian, sorry it's taken me two years to get back to you - my email's guyharris2000@hotmail.com Can you drop me a line?

Regards,

Guy