Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Freemasons & WW1 Lodges/Chapters

eviltaxman

I've been asked to do some research into a couple of jewels (as Freemasons call them) that were awarded to a William J Davison. I've found out (so far) that he was quite high up in his "Lodge" - 15th Worshipful Master.

The Lodge was "AD Astra Lodge No. 3808". From what I can tell - and this is the very tenuous link to WW1 - it would seem that based on the emblems attached to the jewels - a radial engine & biplane - that it could have been a Lodge created for the fly boys. I know Lodges exist today for regiments and squadrons, so why not in WW1?!?!

My question to anyone with Freemason knowledge is --- was this a Lodge connected to the RFC/RAf during WW1 and am I right in saying (if this is case) that it 'vanished' by 1945.

Any internet search for this Lodge - 3808 - has come up blank, however there is one in Canada (connected to the RCAF) called Ad Astra. Like with many "collective groups", names can be re-used, but the numbers are unique.

Having checked the online MICs, there doesn't appear to be a William Davison in the RFC, but there is a William Davidson. He started off on the General list then went to the RFC. I haven't downloaded his MIC - yet - but if this turns out to be the man, it'll be the first thing I'll do.

I would like to post a pic of both of the jewels, but a contact has them so he can ask a few pertenant questions ;)

Cheers,

Les.

This is not directly useful, but Pte. Frank Richards DCM MM 2 RWF wrote that only sergeants and above had any hope of belonging to a military Lodge. This was c. 1908 in India.

Quote:-

As far as can be ascertained, the motto of the Royal Air Force dates back to 1912 and the formation of the Royal Flying Corps (RFC).

Possible, then! Phil B

The top lodge is:

Enquiry Office

Freemason's Hall

Great Queen Street

London

WC2B 5AZ

Tel 0171 831 9811 (This may be out of date)

As it is related to Freemasonary history I'm sure they will help if they can.

zoo

PS. The building at the above address was called the Masonic Peace Memorial, dedicated in 1933 "In memory of those brethren who gave all for King and Country, Peace and victory, Liberty and Brotherhood"

Cost over £1 million.

Very good cast bronze doors inside with a World War One theme.

Having checked the online MICs, there doesn't appear to be a William Davison in the RFC

If his air service was post April '18, you'd need to look elsewhere as the RAF MICs aren't online yet (IIRC).

Rgds,

Grovetown.

Zoo,

Thanks for the info, but my "contact" is a 'Brother' and has/will be in touch with their "head office". I looked at their website - very impressive. there's a lot of info there that I didn't know about Freemasonary and a few bits that confirmed a couple of notions.

Grovetown,

I was only assuming he might have been involved in WW1, but as yet I have not concrete evidence. Pity post-1920's records aren't accessable, we'd all have a lot more to go on.

Thanks guys,

Les.

Phil,

Spot on. When I saw the Lodge name I realised there had to be a RAF/RFC connection... but it's just pinning this guy done.... :blink:

Langley,

I think post-WW1 any rank can be a member of a Lodge. After all, they are a "classless society". I may be wrong about the date, but who knows.... any Freemasons out there can confirm? :P This particular chap, if it is his MIC I found, was a Lt.

Cheers,

Les.