Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Battallion Essex Regiment in July 1917

Max Poilu

Following on from this thread:

13th Battallion at Delville Wood and the Somme

...discusssing the actions of the 13th Essex in the Somme area in July/August 1916, this new topic will tell part of the story of what happened to the 9th Essex in July 1917 during the fighting for Infantry Hill near Monchy-le-Preux just east of Arras.

Please see the above thread for background info; briefly I have an interest in this subject as my wife's Great Uncle, George Leopold Brown MM was killed in a terrible attack to try and wrestle the Germans from Long Trench atop Infantry Hill.

There are a lot of pages to view, including various diaries, reports, maps and some photographs. Please bear in mind these are simply pages from my research, they are not in perfect order or in an ideal format for studying - it's all very amateur!

If however, anyone does want to use or reproduce any of this stuff please do so but can you please include my name and email (m.poiluATtiscali.co.uk) so others can reach me if they have anything to add.

The original idea was to learn more about George's actions and to be able to trace the exact positions on the ground. However, I hope this thread is of interest, not only to Essex devotees but also to other Pals - the weary fighting, impossibility of the position and the frank nature of many of the reports makes fascinating reading; to quote Lt. Col. F.V. Thompson (O/C 9th Essex) on the 18th July 1917: "...I have now lost 8 officers and probably 200 O.R., including my best N.C.Os. I would suggest that the adventure might now cease...".

The first extracts are from the 9th Bn regimental diaries and cover the period from 1st July to 25th July 1917:

post-569-1158340888.jpg

Following the Regimental aquatic sports (?!) the 9th moved back into the line. This is the operational order for that relief dated 7th July 1917:

post-569-1113231686.jpg

The next extract shows selected entries for the 35th Brigade diary giving a slightly bigger picture. Please excuse my absolutely appalling handwriting - I really should have paid more atttention at school... :)

post-569-1113231811.jpg

We are now looking at the events of the 11th July when a major raid was launched by the Germans on the British position. This is the report by Lt. Col. Thompson following the attack:

post-569-1158341269.jpg

Moving forward to the 14th July, a major attack on Long Trench was planned for the 15th July. This would be delayed by 48 hours to the 17th - see first page Bn diary entry for 14th/15th for reasons (weather/congestion etc). This is the operational order for that attack:

post-569-1113232716.jpg

At 4.45 am on the 17th July the attack was launched. What follows is a fascinating transcript of the telephone messages received at Brigade HQ as the advance began:

post-569-1158341881.jpg

And now a series of reports into the events of the 17th July. Firstly from Thompson followed by observations from Brigade HQ:

post-569-1158342024.jpg

The fighting was to continue. The 9th Essex were relieved on the 24th July.

Here we have the first of three maps concerned with the attack of the 17th; this shows the jumping off positions and consolidation points etc:

post-569-1113235681.jpg

And lastly a copy of the modern IGN map with an overlay of the original trenches. Infantry Lane and Green Lane are in exactly the same postions - the ground seems totally unchanged. This makes it very easy when visiting the area today:

post-569-1113234703.jpg

Just to wrap things up a few photographs. I usually visit the area whenever we are passing, it is very quiet and as I say seemingly unchanged. When walking up the hill via Green Lane or Infantry Lane the superiority of the German position is all too clear. Within the Bois de Vert many faint lines of trenches remain. When these pictures were taken in 2000 it was carpeted in Bluebells - a beautiful site. Lying in the fields were many relics; British spades, pickets and other hardware. By the lanes were Stokes mortars and Toffee Apples. BTW I'm a bit old fashioned and love good old black and white prints - somehow though, I find most of the magic of silver halide is lost when scanning - especially on my ancient set-up. :)

This first picture is taken from the position where Long Trench meets Infantry Lane looking down the hill. The Mound is behind me. The two figures (Mrs P. and a local farmer) standing in Infantry Lane are on the position of Hook trench where the front most companies lined up to the left in the field. The line of tiny posts right across the middle left of the picture is the outline of Green Lane:

post-569-1113234891.jpg

This photograph is taken in the opposite direction ie from the 'two figures' point of view, looking up to the German position. To the right is Bois de Vert. The clump of trees on the extreme left is the high ground of The Mound:

post-569-1113235086.jpg

Giles

Absolutely wonderful.

Away from my main PC at the moment but will post some stuff soon.

Although Michael ( Hopefully ) will beat me to it.

Cheers

Glyn

Have read the whole thread now - absolutely brilliant, Giles. It really conveyed to me the chaos and confusion of life at the time. Thanks for posting,

Marina