Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What was an army school?

per ardua per mare per terram

On the records of a CSM, in May 1916 I saw that he had a month allocation with an army school. Was he instructing, being taught the final points of being a CSM or was it the first stage of officer training?

I think it could have been either. He could have been sent as an instructor/administrator or he could have been on a course, which would have been many and varied. I get the impression that a spell at an army school was often used as a rest period for soldiers who`d seen hard service. Phil B

Any idea what the school was?

m13pgb surprisesd me. My experience is quite to the contrary with officers newly arrived in Flanders posted for further artillery and signals training in their first few months. I am referring to late 1917 and early 1918 and to RGA jnior officers. One in particular was sent on two courses before he had seen any action.

Any idea what the school was?

Thanks for the help pals.

All I have was that it was 3rd Army School. He was appointed acting CSM 13/1/16, and to Substantive Rank 13/1/16!

and this is where your man spent his time, in Avenue de la Plage, Fort Mahon.

The inscription reads "Fort Mahon. 3rd Army School with Capt Orton MC July 1918"

Someone, perhaps the original owner, has scratched-out the name of the town at the bottom of the card.

post-77-1113175478.jpg

But it could have been at one of these places;

"Location of Schools"

Third Army Schools

Infantry....Auxi-le-Chateau.

Scouting, Observation and Sniping....Aux-le-Chateau.

Artillery....Haute-Cloque (St. Pol).

Trench Mortar....Ligny St. Flochel (Ligny).

Signal....Pas (Mondicourt).

Musketry Camp....Warloy (Varennes).

Anti-Gas....Albert

Taken from Amendments to "Location of Schools." 1st March 1918

T/144/H SECRET.

Don't forget there were GHQ and Corps schools as well!

Kate

Thanks, that looks a wonderful place to have a school.

Chris

A nice variety of choices!

There is an interesting account of a month spent at an army school by Siegfrid Sasson in his "Memoirs of an Infantry Officer" in the Spring of 1916, when he was based a Morlancourt on the Somme.

He was sent "on a month's refresher course" at the Fourth Army School at Flixecourt, between Amiens and Abbeville, with 2 officers from each of the Battalions in the Brigade.

He tells of training in the art of sniping, explosions and smoke bombs, employment of the Mills Bomb, barbed wire and screw pickets, and bayonetting on a battle course.

His overall view that the School was run as a holiday for Officers and N.C.O.s who needed a rest. But we know what a cynic Sassoon was!

Tony