Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Call to Arms - Charles Messenger

Chris_Baker

I have today received a review copy of "Call to Arms" by our own Charles Messenger. On first glance I can say without hesitation that this is a MUST buy for anyone interested in the British Army of 1914-1918. I understand that it is published on 21 April.

Congratulations, Charles, on your tour de force, and my sincere thanks for your kind words about the Long, Long Trail, this Forum and those members who have helped you along the way.

I will be writing a full review when I've finished reading it.

Members, this book has a cover price of £30. There is an excellent opening/advance offer at Amazon, and if you click through this link and buy it, a little bit comes back to help fund the Forum.

I just ordered my copy.

Good one, Charles.

Robbie :D

I've ordered mine, too.

I hope the book is a success, Charles. I'm looking forward to reading this one.

Regards,

Ken

Well done to Charles and I'm just trying to clear some space in readiness on my bulging bookshelves! Nice to note too that busy man that he is (saw his name on the credits of a TV documentary recently) he is not above helping fellow Forumites - he kindly supplied me with info on an officer I was researching a while back.

Bernard

Phil,

just copied this from the Amazon site

Synopsis

This is a comprehensive account of how the British Army coped with and adapted to the enormous challenges and pressures of the First World War -- the first major continental war that the army had had to fight for almost a hundred years. Following the course of the War, both on the Western Front and in other theatres, Charles Messenger tells how the British Army managed the challenges of command, training, technology and new weapons of war. He examines officer selection, medicine, discipline, the manpower crisis of 1918, the integration of women into the forces and many other topics. Based on years of original research, this will become the standard work of reference on the organization and administration of the biggest army Britain has ever put into the field.

Peter

ordered mine too!! looking forward reading it Charles!

Wienand

Thank you very much for all your kind comments. For those of you who have already ordered the book I hope that it lives up to your expectations.

Charles M

It looks excellent, many congratulations Charles. I look forward to receiving mine.

As an added incentive, the Amazon price of £21 includes free delivery.

Cheers,

Ste

Charles.

Looks good so I have ordered my copy today.

Good luck with future sales.

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Confirmation order and shipping notification by email today from Amazon :)

Another 6 days to wait :angry:

Peter

Confirmation order and shipping notification by email today from Amazon  :)

Another 6 days to wait  :angry:

Peter

It could be worse, Peter. I ordered mine a day or so before you did and I haven't received an email from Amazon yet.

Robbie

Robbie,

thats because you live north in Dover. As I live south in Sunny Vic, its down hill all the way so its bound to be faster :P

PS Have a good trip with the Pals

Peter :D

Robbie,

thats because you live north in Dover. As I live south in Sunny Vic, its down hill all the way so its bound to be faster  :P

PS Have a good trip with the Pals

Peter  :D

thanks Peter. I will be taking lots of pics and will post the worst ones here. :lol:

Thanks, Robbie and just to let you know, its going to be 29 deg today.

Peter  :P

Thanks Peter. It's going to be 13C here in Kent tomorrow!!

BTW: The Haig book arrived today. Rather a heavy tome, too. Maybe too heavy to pack for the trip unless one of the young men would like to assist me with my largest suitcase.

Robbie :blink:

Having spent far, far too much on books this month... I couldn't contain myself and bought the one (one!) copy my local Waterstones had.. at full price... Oooh, it reads very well. (And that's only skimming occasional chapters).

Concur: a 'must have' !

Just ordered the book-the Memsahib will not be pleased but everyone's entitled to a hobby-she wishes mine was making bookshelves!

Squirrel

Received my copy this morning from Amazon.

Looks like a book, feels like a book, smells like a book, tastes like a book ......... oh dear, thats the dustwrapper gone, could have done with some salt though!

Seriously, I can't wait, it has jumped above "Haig" and "Boy Soldiers" for bedside reading.

Received my copy on Monday. It looks very impressive. I have read a few bits and it certainly does not disappoint. I cannot remember the last time that I so eagerly anticipated reading a WW1 book.

How long did it take you to research and write, Charles?

Regards,

AGWR