Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Malcolm Loveless 2nd Bn. Dorsetshire Reg

Chris Talbot

Hi all

I am researching Malcolm Mitchell Loveless, service number 16364, of the 2nd bn. of the Dorsetshire Regiment

Malcolm was killed on the 25/03/1917 and is named on the Basra war memorial.

I have a couple of questions that you good folk might be able to answer.

Unfortunatly the CWGC has no picture of the memorial on its site available can anyone point me to a site that might have one.

Can anyone tell me what the 2nd Dorsets were doing on or around 25/03/1917 so that I might establish how Malcolm died, I know he may have died of wounds or disease but any informtion may be of use.

yours with thanks in advance Chris Talbot

Hi Chris

The nearest I could get to a photo for the BASRA WAR MEMORIAL.

Best of luck

James

Thanks James

Nt quite what I wanted but better than nothing, at least it gives me some idea of what the memorial looks like.

Yours Chris Talbot

Sorry Chris

I have searched all over for a good photograph of the memorial and thats the best one I could find. It came from a website link, I will see if I can find it for you.

James

Here it is Chris. Royal United Services Institute

You might be able to ask someone from this site if they can access agood photograph of the Basra Memorial.

If they can let me know. :ph34r:

Cheers

James

Chris,

With the exception of some recovered wounded, who were subsequently formed into a composite battalion with the 2nd Battalion, Norfolk Regiment, all the officers and men of the 2nd Battalion, Dorsetshire Regiment were captured at the surrender of Kut al Amara on April 29th, 1916, although the battalion was resurrected in July 1916. Thus, it is possible that Malcolm Loveless died as a PoW. The original CWGC registers sometimes give additional information on the original burial location of men commemorated on the Basra Memorial - from which you can deduce whether they were a prisoner or not. Suggest you post a request to Terry Denham, who I know has ready access to copies of the original registers.

Best photo I have found of the memorial - it is pretty moribund and the CWGC have now declared it unmaintainable as it has deteriorated to such an extent.

Best wishes.

Andy.

post-1-1110657445.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Chris,

I hope this response is not too late to catch your attention.

On the 25th March 1917 the 2nd Dorsets were engaged in the Battle of Jebel Hamrin. The following is extracted from the Regimental History. I have omitted the build-up, so the narrative starts in the early hours of the 25th.

The general direction of the Brigade's advance was nearly NE, the Battalion leading, with the 95th Mahrattas and 1/1st Gurkhas echeloned back respectively on its right and left, and the 93rd Infantry following in rear. It was itself disposed in diamond formation, with "H" Company (Major Weldon) leading. About twenty minutes after the advance started "H" Company came under heavy fire, but pushed ahead nevertheless, driving back the enemy who were in parties of from twenty to fifty. Major Weldon, who had seen something of mountain warfare on the Frontier, had been assiduous in training his company for this sort of thing, but in the wholly dissimilar conditions of the Tigris valley it had been hard to make the training realistic. "H" Company now reaped the benefit of this training and gradually the Battalion gained the crest of a forward ridge, separated from a higher ridge two miles or so further on by a tangle of small hills intersected by deep nullahs. Pushing on beyond the first ridge it plunged at once into a veritable maze in which direction and connection were almost impossible to keep. The Battalion had to advance some way into this difficult ground and then swing round to its left to attack the Turks, who were in strength about 1,000 yards away. The enemy's fire was increasing in volume, field guns joining in before long, and by 7 a.m. the fire was so heavy that further progress was almost impossible, especially as our guns seemed to be hardly giving us any support.

It was evident that the Brigade was committed to an extremely difficult undertaking, being opposed by superior forces on ground where a slow and systematic advance by bounds with ample artillery support alone offered any prospect of success. To make matters worse a gap of about half a mile had opened between the Dorsets and the Gurkhas on their left, into which Turkish snipers had penetrated so that they could enfilade the advance, while the intricate and rugged ground offered the Turks many chances of working round the flanks of the advanced detachments of the Battalion's firing line. General Campbell reinforced both the Dorsets and the Gurkhas with a machine gun section and ordered the 105th Mahrattas to send their two reserve companies across to fill the gap. However these companies could not arrive in time to prevent the development, about 8 a.m., of a very heavy counter-attack. This thrust the Gurkhas back and allowed the Turks to work round behind "G" Company's left and cut off two of its platoons. These, under Captain Thomson, put up a most determined resistance, fighting stubbornly and selling their lives dearly. Captain Thomson, conspicuous for his white breeches, could be seen rallying his men and encouraging them to maintain the fight, but to extricate this party was impossible for want of reserves and artillery support. The rest of "G" Company only just escaped being cut off also and, with their left turned, the other companies, already vigorously pressed in front had to go back also. At a ridge 600 yards back a stand was made, and here the Battalion, though much hampered by difficulties over replenishing its ammunition, held its ground against repeated counter attacks. R.S.M. Bolingbroke did splendid work in keeping up the ammunition supply, setting a fine example by himself taking a box up to the firing line in face of deadly fire. Private McGrath also was conspicuous for his gallantry and good work in carrying ammunition up to the firing line and taking messages. Undeterred by seeing others shot down as they tried to cross a fire-swept zone he went fearlessly on, delivered his message and came back (He received the D.C.M.) Still the position was most precarious, the enemy's shell-fire was heavy and our guns were too far away to make any effective reply. In fact for all the help the Dorsets got from them the British guns might not have been in action. General Campbell put in a company of the 93rd Infantry on the Dorset's left, but the hostile fire was more than it could face and it never came up level with the Battalion. On the righ the other half-battalion of the 105th Mahrattas held up the enemy's attempts at outflanking but could make no progress.

Realising the enemy's position was much too strong to be carried without far greater forces, especially artillery, than he had at his disposal, General Keary decided to break off the action as best he could, and accordingly sent the 1st Manchesters and 2/124th Baluchis of the 8th Brigade up to assist in extracating the 9th Brigade. These took up a covering position along with the remaining companies of the 93rd Infantry about the foot of the hills in readiness in case the firing line should be pushed back. With this flank uncovered, the position on the left was none too secure and, ammunition running very short, the Dorsets could not maintain their ground, and about 2.30 p.m. General Campbell ordered a retirement. This was no easy matter: in places the Turks were at quite close quarters, the Battalion was widely extended and much split up and the ground was most difficult. Casualties were heavy, all four company commanders were hit and several detached parties seem to have been cut off and overwhelmed; while although the Battalion stretcher-bearers worked most gallantly, many of the wounded could not be got away. Eventually the Dorsets passed through the supporting units and promptly endeavoured to re-form. Beyond the foot of the hills the Turks made little effort to press their pursuit, being checked by the steady fire of the infantry, and about 3 p.m. the 9th Brigade was ordered back to Campbell's Bridge. This meant a long retirement over the open under long range rifle fire and now rather more effective shelling, but at length it re-crossed the Ruz canal, greatly weakened. Its casualties came to 800 out of a total strength of little over 2,000, the Dorsets with 220 casualties out of some 500 in action, being the second hardest hit (The 105th Mahrattas lost nearly 300, the other two battalions about 150 each.) Those known to be killed were Major Weldon and Lieut. Hodgson, with about twenty men, including C.S.M. Blackmore. The missing came to over 100, Captain Thomson, Lieut. Sheffield, and Lieut Griffith being of the number, nearly as many more were wounded, among them Captains Clemson, Morgan, Smith and Hacker, Lieuts. Mitchell and Bishop and 2/Lieuts. Mace and Jenks. Lt-Col Case (He had recently received his Brevet, and was awarded the D.S.O. for this battle, as was Lieut.-Col Clarkson also) was also slightly wounded but continued at duty. Major Weldon was much regretted. He had served with the "Norsets" from their start, had been wounded in April 1916, and rejoining just before the "Norsets" were dissolved, had been with the 2nd Battalion since then, giving of his best and doing splendid service. Captain Thomson was another who was much missed. One of the few still with the 2nd Battalion who had come to Mesopotamia in 1914, he had been wounded twice and invalided once, but had returned again and again and had shown himself a gallant and resourceful leader.

It would seem that Malcolm Loveless was one of those who could not be got away.

Hope this is of some use.

Regards

Steve

Chris,

Hopefully you can see this OK - it's the map from the History for this action. Got the size sorted out now so should be here now.

Steve