Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reverend John Ash.

Bob Coulson

Bit of a long shot but if anyone has any info on this gent I would be most grateful.

He was KIA during the Passchendaele offensive and is buried in Vlamertinghe New Military Cemetery.

I am looking for a possible N/E of England connection as he may or not be remembered on a local memorial I am researching.

Bob.

Bob

Have you tried the Museum of Army Chaplaincy? here

I have found them most helpful in the past.

Regards

Bob

This from Wills and Admonitions 1918: Ash, the Reverend John of Vailima , Isle of Wight. Chaplain to HM Forces, died 7 September 1917 in France or Belgium on active service. Administration, (with will) London 2 January to Mary Ash, widow. Effects £650 10/-.

I have also checked Crockfords Directory , 1912-1916. Oddly no John Ash appears in it. There is however a Rev George John Ash who served in various posts in the North East, including Manchester and Preston. However he is not listed as serving in HM Forces. I'll have a look at NA tomorrow (Saturday) and see what's what.

Terry Reeves

Bob

The Reverend John Ash was a Methodist minister, hence his non-appearance in Crockford's Clerical Directory.

Before he became a Chaplain to the Forces on 16 January 1917, he was Chaplain for the Free Churches at the Red Cross Hospital, Northwood House, Cowes, Isle of Wight. His full home address was "Dailima", Newport Rd , Cowes, Isle of Wight. His wife Mary asked for his medals to be forwarded to his solicitors on the island.

However, there is a North- East connection. Sometime in 1917 his wife moved to No 8 Campbell St, Newcastle Upon Tyne. There is a letter in his file at the NA from the Reverend Henry Shakespeare of the United Churches, Army and Navy Board, which administered non-conformist chaplains. The letter was to a Mr Monk:

" You have received my letter saying that I have heard from Colonel Standing, that the Reverend John Ash, CF, was killed in his billet through bombing by aeroplanes last Friday night. It is a very great loss to us. I am trying to get in touch with the widow who has recently moved to a new address, I find (sic) and no doubt she will ask for guidance. Can you say what the arrangements of the War Office are in circumstances like this? The fullest information you have will be greatfully received by me for Mrs Ash. Could you advise me of the terms in which I should reply."

Unfortunately there is no place of birth or place of association noted in his documents, although the 1901 census may help. Out of interest there is also a casualty list for the day he died. The following officers fom his unit appear to have been wounded in the same air raid: Major (Temporary Lt Col) Buckston Brown;

Lt ( Act. Capt) F Mottram; Capt J Wareham.

Hope this helps.

Terry Reeves

Bob

You should contact the Methodist Archives & Research Centre at John Rylands University Library. They have a website with contact details.

Myrtle

Terry/Myrtle,

Thanks for your input I am very grateful,it certainly looks like he is the man named.

Will follow your advice.

Bob.

• 9 years later...

I have just picked up the threads of this forum. I know that the previous correspondence was a long time ago, but if anyone is still watching this forum I do have a little background information about the Rev. John Ash. He was my great uncle, being a brother to my grandfather who lived in Devon. I have several letters that he wrote to his brother and even one that was written on the day before he died. It almost seemed as if he sensed his days were numbered as he was trying to encourage his wife to move from Cowes to Devon to be with family in case John was killed.

Peter Ash

I too have happened upon this post due to Peter Ash’s post to bring to the front again as it were.

I have this from Page 9 ‘Greater Love’ by Revd David Youngson, David is registered blind though he does have some very limited vision and I am pleased to say that we have worked together on another project prior to him writing this book.

The Revd John Ash Temporary Chaplain 4th Class Army Chaplains Department.

Royal Field Artillery Attached 48th Div Ammunition Col [Troops].

He was born on the 2nd January 1881 at Bridstow, Northlew, Devon. He was a local preacher in his teens and went to college in 1889. In 1901 he became a trainee United Methodist Minister at Kings Brompton. Having failed his exams he was dropped for a while but was re-instated in 1903 at Portland. He was at Swansea from 1905; Southampton and Eastleigh 1908; Newport, Ryde and Cowes from 1913 until he became an Army Chaplain. The husband of the late Mary Ash he was killed in action in Belgium on the 7th September 1917 aged 37. He is buried in Vlamertinghe New Military Cemetery West-Vlaanderen, Grave Reference IX. H. 26 and remembered on the Aldershot memorial.

Regards

Peter