Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt. Charles Arthur Squires 162 Bge. RFA

KONDOA

Bit of a long shot here but!!

This officer died the same day as my great uncle (25.4.1918) and is buried at Nine Elms Cemetery near Poperinghe. He was with the same Brigade as were several other chaps killed that day.

I wondered if any chums out there had any information on this officers death, my GU's service record being lost. All were with 33rd Division , some died of wounds , some are recorded as died, this officer was KIA.

Did DOW mean that a soldier had entered the casualty clearing system ?? What determined this criteria. Would an officer be more likely to be listed as KIA as DOW for appearances sake ???

Any answers would be a surprise and very welcome.

Roop

Roop: I think you will find the following extracts from The History of the 33rd Divisional Artillery page interesting:

On April 24th, 1918, "the 162nd Brigade also lay together between the Millekruisse-Hallebast road and the Kemmel-Beek, and therefore slightly in rear of the 156th Brigade. Lieut. Colonel Skinner's (OC of the Brigade) headquarters were in Millekruisse, and in this case one advanced section of 4.5 in. howitzers (D/162) was thrown forward in a position just west of Rossignol Wood."

"Let us now turn to the 162nd Brigade and follow their doings on this memorial day [25 April 1918]. The four batteries of the 162nd Brigade had, in common with all the other guns, been enveloped in the tremendous barrage which the enemy put down at two o'clock in the morning. In spite of the terrific storm of shell - the intensity of which may be judged from the fact that Lieut. Squire (sic) of B/162 was killed by the concussion of the bursting shell all around him, his body being otherwise unwounded - the detachments under their battery officers' control maintained a steady rate of fire upon the enemy."

Hope this is of some use. Regards. Dick