Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brits officially transferred to Langemark

Terry Denham

As some of you will know, two British casualties are buried in Langemark German Military Cemetery, Belgium without any form of British marker as they were thought to be buried elsewhere - or lost - for many years.

The two men had CWGC Alternative Commemoration headstones in other cemeteries. These two men have now finally been 'moved' in CWGC's records to show their burial at Langemark.

The two men are

Pte Leonard Harry LOCKLEY

S/43486 4 Bn, Seaforth Highlanders

Died 30.10.18

Previously Alternatively Commemorated at Cement House Cemetery

Originally buried at Louvain Communal Cemetery

Pte Albert CARLILL

31006 1/4 Bn, Loyal North Lancs Regt

Died 04.11.18

Previously Alternatively Commemorated at Jemappes Communal Cemetery

CWGC were discussing with VdK the erection of a plaque to commemorate these men rather than erecting two CWGC headstones. Can one of our Belgian Pals tell me if anything has actually appeared at the cemetery yet? (not going back over for a few weeks :( ) If not, it probably will do shortly as the official records have been changed.

Yes, there is one up. I saw it there yesterday.

Terry,

I had never heard of this situation regarding Langemarck Cem, before you posted it. Out of interest, where did the evidence come from to reach this conclusion?

Many Thanks

Iain

Iain

This was discussed at length some time ago. I'll try to find the thread.

At least one of the men has his name inscribed on the stone blocks with the thousands of German names around the central burial tomb.

I saw the new plaque on Sunday too. It is immediately inside the entrance gate, on one of the large blocks surrounding the mass grave, left hand side.