Remembered Today:

World War One Sketch Book

Terry_Reeves

Nice find Terry

Well worth a look

Glyn

Sunflower posted this link

http://www.lib.byu.edu/~rdh/wwi/memoir/docs/51st/51st1.htm

some time ago ... I remember being very impressed at the time.

Given the current 'art' interest on the forum, I thought some of the new members might like a peek at these!

Des

A thought just struck me. Can we identify JM? We know that he was in the RHA/RFA and that there are clues to locations. If he was an OR, that would be very difficult, but if he was an officer, it would narrow the field down a bit.

Terry Reeves

Hi Des

I missed that link first time round, the art work is great but also the history that goes with many of the works is of great value. Interesting to look at Pheasant Farm and Trench, the 6/K.S.L.I. were a stones throw away to the left of this trench and their outpost line was almost leave with the farm.

Annette

I was most impressed! And this one particularly struck me. Surely it`s a coloured British soldier (Kings Own?) and treated in a matter of fact manner, which gives the impression it was not an uncommon sight. Phil B

post-3-1109357146.jpg

I am a bit disapointed that the Belgians are so many times confused with French...

But Great images!

CWGC listing:

In Memory of

Private J NICOL

22224, 17th Bn., Royal Scots

who died

on 18 October 1918

Son of Mr. J. Nicol, of Alexandra Buildings, View Glen, Aberdeen.

Remembered with honour

DADIZEELE NEW BRITISH CEMETERY

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/casualty_...casualty=163208

How amazing to know what his temporary marker looked like, something I'm sure his parents would have liked to have kept. :(

Soren

this archive is absolutely facinating, many thanks Terry for posting the link.... this image got me going, is it the Menin Road being hidden?

just noticed in the bottom right he has named it as international corner?

post-3-1109441779.jpg

This poor soldier looks as if he is wearing shorts. Surely not.

Robbie

post-3-1109445560.jpg

This one didn't make any sense to me. How is it a Boche Victory, because they killed the horse? What kind of wagon is that? What is under it? It looks like a carosel horse inside. Like I said, this one just doesn't make any sense.

Andy

post-3-1109446005.jpg

What I have also noticed is that the majority of his subjects have adult caucasian features. These Chinese works look more American colonial than Chinese. In The Exodus from Abelee the children all have adult faces.

Andy

post-3-1109446375.jpg

It is not just the illustrations in themselves that make the pictures interesting. Some of the pictures are actually sending a message. Take a look at the illustration of the black soldier with the white woman again, in particular the wording and the sign above the man's shoulder.

For Robbie - short trousers were quite common on the Western Front, particularly during the summer months. They also helped to keep instances of lice infestestation down.

For Andy - I think the picture with the dead horse is likely to be allegorical, although it appears to have been taken from a real situation. Something along the lines that civilians suffered to. The carousel horses appear to have some significance, but only the artist could have told us what. The more you look at them, the more fascinating they become.

Terry Reeves

Some of the pictures are actually sending a message.

No dowt he is trying to send messages, just look at JM0121 & 22. And 24 he is taking the Piss out of someone for sure. Some of the messages are hard to work out.

Annette

I much prefer the directly drawn images, something I would have loved to have been able to do myself. although I don't feel that I'd have the moral fiber to be under fire like this chap.

Sunflower posted this link

http://www.lib.byu.edu/~rdh/wwi/memoir/docs/51st/51st1.htm

some time ago ... I remember being very impressed at the time.

Given the current 'art' interest on the forum, I thought some of the new members might like a peek at these!

Des

Thabks for the link again, I've just gone through Fred A Farrell's drawings, I really like these too

I think the picture with the dead horse is likely to be allegorical, although it appears to have been taken from a real situation. Something along the lines that civilians suffered to. The carousel horses appear to have some significance, but only the artist could have told us what.  The more you look at them, the more fascinating they become.

Terry

The carousel was often used by artists, as a symbol of the cycle of life.