Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ecole de Bienfaisance

John S

Re the thread some time ago on Ecole de Bienfaisance.

Attached is a picture taken shortly after the war and described as '1st English Cemetery by the school ruins - Menin Rd'. I think it is Ecole de Bienfaisance.

My main reason is based on the fact that the graves from Ecole de Bienfaisance were relocated to Plot 2 Bedford House; the name on the cross in the centre is that of 81036, J W Ogden, Field Ambulance, now to be found in Plot 2 - I A.26, Bedford House.

I believe the information in the earlier thread plus the description given to this picture supports my conclusion.

Here is the link to the original thread

http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showt...hl=bienfaisance

Many thanks to Aurel for his help in identifying the cemetery and directing me to the original thread.

John

post-19-1106818714.jpg

And in the thread John gave a link to there was also a photo of the Ecole de Bienfaisance pre-war, posted by Gilbert ("Zijde"). Strangely enough it is no longer visible in that thread. I found the photo (postcard) interesting because it proved almost beyond any doubt that the ruins on John's photo are of the original building indeed.

I could post this pre-war photo (which Gilbert kindly sent me) in this thread, but I might just as well give Gilbert the opportunity to do that.

By the way, the Ypres Documentation Centre (IFF) has a map, with handwritten on it, the locations of the IWGC cemeteries in the immediate vicinity of the town, shortly after the war, cemeteries some of which were relocated. If anyone is interested in finding where a certain Ypres cemetery was which he cannot pinpoint so far ...

Aurel

• Admin

Hi John

A good friend of mine has a relation buried in Bedford house, in the long row on the left as you enter. He was originally buried at the Ecole de Bienfaisance.

He was in the RAMC, 33rd Field Ambulance.

Regards, Michelle

• 10 months later...