Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Casualty Lists for Zeppelin/Air raids on London

Scotsmac

On researching my family history I have come across a story that one of my grand-mothers sister's was killed in a bombing raid in London during WW1. Her name is Jessie Collie and I have found her in the 1911 England and Wales Census at 23 Southwick Street, Hyde Park W. London, where she was a Domestic Servant aged 18 and born in Dufftown, Banffshire - all of which is correct. I have tried to find her death record on GRO Birth, Marriages and Deaths but without success so I'm beginning to wonder if this "family memory" is true. I was wondering however, if there is a List of Casualties for the Zeppelin/Air raids on London which may (or may not) have her name on it, and if I can view it.

Best Wishes

Keith

Sadly there isn't a complete list of those killed in London by German air raids in WW1. Many names are known but many others are still hiding. Around 667 people were killed in London as a result of bombs dropped by Zeppelins, Gothas and 'Giants'. I have not seen Jessie's name amongst those I have seen.

Sadly there isn't a complete list of those killed in London by German air raids in WW1. Many names are known but many others are still hiding. Around 667 people were killed in London as a result of bombs dropped by Zeppelins, Gothas and 'Giants'. I have not seen Jessie's name amongst those I have seen.

Thanks for the reply Aspern. I see this will need wider research on my part. It's at times like this that I really regret not quizzing my Granny about her family before she passed away.

Thanks again

Keith

Did Jessie have other first names?

I have a copy of her birth registration and she is registered as Jessie Collie. She is also down as Jessie on the 1911 census where she worked in London. She was however, in the 1901 census for Dufftown where she was born, down as Janet. She was was 8 then. I've tried looking for Janet Collie but again no luck.

Best Wishes

Keith

She is in a few ancestry family trees as Janet. Suggested to have died in Kent 1970 but I haven't found a GRO for her, perhaps she married?

TEW

She is in a few ancestry family trees as Janet. Suggested to have died in Kent 1970 but I haven't found a GRO for her, perhaps she married?

TEW

That's interesting! I can't find her on FindMyPast but I can use Ancestry at my local library so I'll check that out there.

Thanks for the lead TEW.

Best Wishes

Keith

Keith

Just so you have an idea what's on ancestry trees.

Parents were Alexander and Jessie McKenzie?

She appears on 5 different trees, one is by a Collie family member but that one is a bit sparse.

The 'McIntyre/Leyden family tree' is the one that says she dies in Kent c1970 but has no citation for that event. The other 4 trees don't give any details for death.

I see her brother had emigrated to Canada and returned with CEF, died 1917.

Also her two? sisters died as Collie, unmarried?

I don't think you can contact ancestry members from library but post again after having a look.

I can't find her on 1939 register, no England/Wales marriage or death for her, no outward passenger list entry. Perhaps she returned to Scotland.

If you had an exact date of birth for her some of the Janet/Jessies who died in Kent c1970 could be eliminated.

TEW

Keith

Just so you have an idea what's on ancestry trees.

Parents were Alexander and Jessie McKenzie?

She appears on 5 different trees, one is by a Collie family member but that one is a bit sparse.

The 'McIntyre/Leyden family tree' is the one that says she dies in Kent c1970 but has no citation for that event. The other 4 trees don't give any details for death.

I see her brother had emigrated to Canada and returned with CEF, died 1917.

Also her two? sisters died as Collie, unmarried?

I don't think you can contact ancestry members from library but post again after having a look.

I can't find her on 1939 register, no England/Wales marriage or death for her, no outward passenger list entry. Perhaps she returned to Scotland.

If you had an exact date of birth for her some of the Janet/Jessies who died in Kent c1970 could be eliminated.

TEW

Yes that is her parents. Jessie was born 22 dec 1892 and was one of nine. She had two sisters, Elizabeth Janet(my Granny) and Maggie Anne who was also in service (kitchen maid) in London and I have traced her death to Bolton in 1966 under her married name of McIntyre. Jessie had six brothers one of whom was William who fought with the CEF and died about the 8 June 1917 of his wounds as a POW probably within a few days. All but one of her brothers served in WW1 and at least one that I know of in the South African War. Her brother Robert had a long and illustrious career in the army right through to WW2 and was awarded an MBE along with other medals. He was the subject of a previous forum topic when his son auctioned his medals a few years back.

I've used ancestry a couple of times for other sides of the family with more success than FindMyPast so I might be lucky when I try next week.

Thanks for all your help TEW.

Best Wishes

Keith

There is a marriage between a Jessie Collie and a Horace T Smith, 4th Qtr 1927 Lewisham.

Then a GRO death for a Jessie Smith DOB 22/12/1892. Death Registered Dec 1973 Ashford, Kent

Can't say if it's definitely her but seems a good contender.

Horace T and Jessie Smith are in Orpington, Kent on 1939 register .

TEW

There is a marriage between a Jessie Collie and a Horace T Smith, 4th Qtr 1927 Lewisham.

Then a GRO death for a Jessie Smith DOB 22/12/1892. Death Registered Dec 1973 Ashford, Kent

Can't say if it's definitely her but seems a good contender.

Horace T and Jessie Smith are in Orpington, Kent on 1939 register .

TEW

Thanks TEW, something I'll have to check.

Best Wishes

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to checking Ancestry in my local library for Jessie. The McIntyre/Leyden tree certainly contains some of my Collie ancestors although there are some inaccuracies but no date of death for Jessie. The marriage to Horace T Smith in 1927 was intriguing so I unlocked the record for them on the 1939 register to find that Jessie's year of birth is 1894 rather 1892, however this may have been a mistake. But still the name Horace seems familiar to me. I think I'll have to bite the bullet and send away for their wedding certificate and probably the death certificate for the Jessie who died in 1973 as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Everybody has been so helpful.

Best wishes

Keith

• 1 month later...

Well, this morning I received a copy of the marriage certificate between Jessie Collie and Horace T Smith on 24th December 1927, and it shows her father to be Alexander Collie a Distillery Storeman which is correct. I am now certain that this is my Great Aunt Jessie and I now also know that she didn't die in a Zeppelin Air raid. Something to be thankful for I guess. Family memory can be a bit foggy and I am really glad I have checked this out. I would of course not been able to get this far without the help of the contributors of this thread.

Thank you all.

Keith

Foggy family memories but a happy ending!

TEW