Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Meakin Memorial, Lesboeufs, Somme

Tim Godden

Hullo all,

I am sure that many of you are aware of the plan to restore the private memorial to Captain Herbert Meakin. Whilst the restoration of the memorial to last for the next hundred years is admirable, the proposal to move the marker stone away from the original memorial risks losing the most important aspect of the memorial. Please do have read of my response to the proposal:

http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/great-war-people/memorials/5309-the-importance-of-place.html#sthash.4rrOIBww.dpbs

If you have feelings in regards to the memorial please do get in touch with the WFA to let them know, the more voices the better. Likewise, if you agree with my thoughts, please share this article as widely as you can.

It is not too late to stop irrevocable damage being done to this site of Great War remembrance.

Kind regards,

Tim

I was about to post Tim's article as a follow on from my previous post on the memorial but he has beaten me to it.

Here is a link to the post http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=231895&hl=

I was about to post Tim's article as a follow on from my previous post on the memorial but he has beaten me to it.

You may as well pop it in there as well, Gareth, just in case people miss this one.

I was not aware of this memorial until reading the two items referred to here. It seem to me that the action taken by the cummual mayor is reasonable and that in view of the small distance involved I see no cause for objection.

Old Tom