Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Battalion North Staffordshire Regiment August 1914 - October 1915

RosyRedd

Dear All,

I have a copy of this war diary and am more than happy to help anyone with questions relating to it. At some point I hope to transcribe the entries so that the information is easily accessible by everyone.

Regards,

Jules.

Greetings Jules,

I would be interested to see what is recorded for 20- 24 th October 1914.

Particularly to see if the incident with Pte Nuttall killed by the German officer, features on 21st.

On the night of 21 October 1914, the 1st North Staffords were positioned along the Armentieres-Lille Road at Rue du Bois. At 10.30 p.m., a determined German assault managed to break through the 3rd Battalion, The Rifle Brigade on the left flank of the North Staffords. “B” Company, commanded by Captain George Leman, also came into contact with a detachment of German infantry and both sides clashed.

Martin

Interesting - my copy skips from dawn on 19th to 10 pm on 21st - seems to be a page missing!

The incident is mentioned in the Battalion's History. Happy to transcribe an extract here if you haven't seen it?

C

Thanks Chris

I am guessing that he died as a result of the fighting on 21st October, but they were in action for most days. It did say died of wounds so they must have buried him and his grave was lost, like 6920 Private James Nuttall, mentioned in the full account. ( and at item 35 in the spreadsheet post 10 above )

this is a tiny passage from the below link.

http://www.1914-1918...soldiers-diary/

On the night of 21 October 1914, the 1st North Staffords were positioned along the Armentieres-Lille Road at Rue du Bois. At 10.30 p.m., a determined German assault managed to break through the 3rd Battalion, The Rifle Brigade on the left flank of the North Staffords. “B” Company, commanded by Captain George Leman, also came into contact with a detachment of German infantry and both sides clashed. James Nuttall was killed in the fighting, but the circumstances of his death are recorded in a story regarding a German officer’s sword that is now displayed at the Staffordshire Regiment Museum.

Here is his photo included in the local paper for 1915

attachicon.gif20th October 1914.jpg

Yes please anything you have

Martin

Here is the section of the Battalion history for 20th to 21st October 1914:

"The 1st North Staffords, who had spent the day in reserve at CHAPELLE D’ARMENTIERES, moved up after dark to WEZ-MARQUART, whence D Company was sent forward to fill a gap between the left of the 2nd Leinsters and the right of the 3rd Rifle Brigade.

The line thus established was held without much interference by the enemy until October 20th, though WEZ-MARQUART was heavily shelled. Early on 20th October the 2nd Leinsters were heavily attacked and driven out of their trenches. The attack developed very rapidly and a gap in the line was soon formed and the Germans were beginning to exploit it when news of the situation reached Colonel de Falbe. He had no time or opportunity to consult with the Brigadier, so acting with great promptitude and initiative, he launched his companies to a counter attack on his own account, and they held and finally repulsed the enemy. A and C Companies led the counter-attack, and 2nd Lieut. Leggett led his platoon with great gallantry. He found some remnants of the 2nd Leinsters holding on to the west of PREMESQUES and went to their assistance, and though the situation on both his flanks was critical, he refused to retire and held on to the ground he had occupied till night fall. He subsequently received a well-earned mention in dispatches for his gallantry on this occasion.

Capt E B Reid was killed during A Company’s successful counter-attack. D Company, which, as mentioned above, was holding a portion of the front line between the 2nd Leinsters and the 3rd Rifle Brigade, had been attacked on both flanked and was isolated, so that Battalion Headquarters hardly hoped to see them again. Captain Hume-Kelly had been killed while running from trench to trench encouraging his men. He had only one other Officer with him, and his Company were distributed in section trenches not joined together. The Company held on with grim determination and eventually the attacks were beaten off, thanks mainly to the fine leadership of Company Quartermaster-Sergeant Gould. Private Blundred also showed conspicuous bravery in fetching bandoliers of S.A.A. and distributing them to the Company who were running short of ammunition. He was subsequently decorated with the Russian Order of St George. After dark Company Sergeant-Major Keeling went up to try and find D Company. He not only did so but brought them back without further loss. He was afterwards awarded the M.C. for his gallantry on this occasion. About 11 am on this day the Battalion machine guns, under Lieut. Hobart, got a magnificent target from a position previously prepared near the road junction at LA BLEU. The enemy attempted to attack from the shelter of a group of cottages, but were caught as they came out, and the attack was broken up with heavy loss. Unfortunately the enemy located the position, and the result was a tornado of shells which knocked out several of the machine gunners.

Though the Battalion was getting used to being under fire, and had carried out a successful set-piece attack at OUTTERSTEENE, this was the first occasion on which it had been called upon to meet a sudden emergency. It owed much to Colonel La Faube’s prompt appreciation of the situation, but even so, the Companies, necessarily spread out over a wide area, were flung suddenly into action, when all was confusion around them. Nobody quite knew what was happening, but it was obvious that something had gone badly wrong, as broken troops were met everywhere as the Battalion moved up towards the battle. The men were not unaffected by this disorder, but nevertheless, pressed steadily on to meet the enemy and eventually to repulse them.

It may be said that on this day, October 20th, 1914, the Battalion definitely found itself, and thereafter the men would sing cheerfully on the march:

“We beat you on the Marne, we beat you on the Aisne,

We drove you back at Armentears and here we are again!”

During the night of October 20th the loss of LA VALLEE and ENNETIERES by the 18th Brigade caused the withdrawal of the 17th Brigade to the line RUE DU BOIS-PORT EGAL FERME-L’EPINETTE. This line was occupied without interference by daybreak on October 21st, the 1st North Stafford Regiment being astride the Armentieres-Lille Road on a double frontage included that allotted to the 2nd Leinster regiment, who were re-organising, with the 3rd Rifle Brigade on its immediate left and the 1st Royal Fusiliers beyond L’EPINETTE. The enemy followed cautiously but eventually brought up a filed gun near WEZ-MARQUART, which knocked out two machine-guns under Lieut Hobart, who had placed them in a good position near a cross roads, whence they could fire right down the main road to WEZ-MARQUART.

At 10.30 pm the enemy made a concerted attack on the 3rd Rifle Brigade and the left of the 1st North Staffords, and a few of them succeeded in breaking through. The line, however, was held intact and B Company, under captain G E Leman, did good work in helping to repel the enemy, who left behind the bodies of one Officer and several other ranks, and some wounded prisoners. The German Officer’s sword is preserved as a trophy in the 1st Battalion’s Officers’ Mess, together with the following description of how it fell into their hands:

“This sword belonged to an Officer of a Saxon Regiment, who was killed on 21st October 1914 in front of Chapelle d’Armentieres, north of the Armentieres-Lille Road.

The trenches on our left had been lost, and, during the night our line was heavily attacked, and a considerable number of Germans working round our flanks attempted to surround the left sentry group of the outpost line. This was held by a section of B Company.

The men fought magnificently, and drove the enemy off, killing 14 of them, and the Saxon Officer who led the charge on the trench was bayonetted in the throat by No. 6920 , Private Nuttall, but at the same time he cut down Private Nuttall with his sword. This is a very fine example of the excellent state of discipline in the Regiment, and the determination of all ranks to hold their positions at all costs.

This was one of the many gallant deeds performed by the Battalion in the Great War.”

It is of interest to note that at this period the 3rd Corps was holding a twelve mile front against the attacks of two German Corps, the 19th and 13th.

Throughout October 22nd the position was shelled and there were several threats of attacks which did not materialise."

C

Many Thanks

Woollamc

Sounds like some good work by Colonel de Falbe.

I am taking it all in and plotting on my maps.

Martin

Dear All,

I have a copy of this war diary and am more than happy to help anyone with questions relating to it. At some point I hope to transcribe the entries so that the information is easily accessible by everyone.

Regards,

Jules.

Sorry we have hi -jacked your thread.

By any chance have you got the page for the 20th October 1914 ?

It is possible that they did not record anything as they were busy.

Have you got a book version or electronic ?

Martin

Hi Martin - I'm really sorry I haven't looked in for a couple of days and haven't received any notifications so have only just seen your posts tonight. My copy is the one downloaded from TNA and it also has no information for the 20th. I'll send them an email to ask if this page has been overlooked and post back any response.

Jules.

Hi Martin - I'm really sorry I haven't looked in for a couple of days and haven't received any notifications so have only just seen your posts tonight. My copy is the one downloaded from TNA and it also has no information for the 20th. I'll send them an email to ask if this page has been overlooked and post back any response.

Jules.

OK Jules..

No hurry it has taken me 55 years to ask the question regarding an incident 101 years ago.

Martin

Haha! Patience is a virtue, but it's still nice to get a prompt answer :thumbsup:

I have sent an email to TNA Kew site asking if they can check to see if there is a missing page, so should hopefully hear something within the next 10 days.

Jules.

• 2 months later...

Hello All

Thought you may be interested in letters I've recently had access to from Lt Cedric Gordon of 1st Bn North Staffs. I've included a selection on my website at sevenoaksww1.org but there are more which go up to March 1915 when he was injured, subsequently losing a leg

Best

Matt

Matt

You have an excellent website and many thanks for sharing Cedric Gordon's letters - very interesting.

C

Matt

You have an excellent website and many thanks for sharing Cedric Gordon's letters - very interesting.

C

Thanks for that - much appreciated and glad the letters were of interest

M

Can anyone identify the Saxon regt that was involved? May be possible to put a name to the officer killed in the attack. If the sword is still held by the regt. or the museum it should be examined for any blade markings if possible. Have seen German swords with names or units on the actual blades so maybe this one too. An interesting account of the fight indeed. Thanks for sharing it & hope more info can be found.

The sword is still held and I asked for a photo, just for my interest.
They did send me an image, but told me not to reproduce it.

So I won't. I am not sure why people get uppertee about posting pictures from 100 years ago, how are we supposed to learn anything !!

I can tell you that it has a lions head with a proper Ruby eyes and shark skin looking grip.
fairly standard for the Prussians, I was expecting some super special item, I will dig out an example from the net.. and post it..

stand by,

This is not the sword which killed Pte Nuttall but it is a close match. I found it by searching for Eisenhauer, which is the makers name, clearly on view on the original sword.

The only obvious marking on the original blade is the etched Saxon coat of arms.

post-103138-0-54751300-1443866041_thumb.

The below is a graphic from the book "Fighting the Kaisers War"

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=WV1EBgAAQBAJ&pg=PA39&dq=IR+179+saxon+army+wez+macquart+21+oct+1914&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCAQ6AEwAGoVChMI77eo95mmyAIVA7IUCh07Og0-#v=onepage&q=IR%20179%20saxon%20army%20wez%20macquart%2021%20oct%201914&f=false

it shows the situation at Christmas time December 1914.

The North Staffs, part of the 6th Division 17th Brigade, opposing the Saxon 24th Infantry Division Regiments 107 179 and 139.

I am still reading events with a view to identifying a possible name for the owner of the sword.

post-103138-0-06529600-1443889161_thumb.

interestingly, At Rue De Bois, Captain R J ARMES of the 1st North Staffs met Ltn Horst Von GEHE of IR107 on Christmas Eve and agreed a burial truce until Boxing Day along the entire Regimental Front.

The truce lasted quite a time longer into January 1915.

Hello All

Thought you may be interested in letters I've recently had access to from Lt Cedric Gordon of 1st Bn North Staffs. I've included a selection on my website at sevenoaksww1.org but there are more which go up to March 1915 when he was injured, subsequently losing a leg

Best

Matt

Most interesting insight into the thoughts of an Officer going to war. He also mentions Major LEMAN ,

"We haven’t moved yet & we don’t know yet when we shall, sometime during the early part of the week I expect. We are, I think, about to go. We are something over a 1000 strong. I command a Platoon, No 5, of about 50 men. A jolly fine lot. I’ve got 2 sgts and 3 corpls. Major Leman commands ‘B’ Coy".

I have him as a Captain in Post 2 above. If it is the same person they were in the thick of it.

also-

Funny how he refers to his mother as "an Old Bird"

There are two further references to Leman, below. The letters go up to 10/11 March 15 when Cedric was wounded so if there are particular dates of interest please let me know and I can post what I have.

27 Oct Major Leman, who is my Coy Officer, is a most awfully nice man, the sort of man it does one good to live with. He is one the most unselfish men Ive ever met & a jolly sound soldier too.

13 Feb '15 I had a letter from Leman the other day. He is quite all right again & has got a job as 2nd Grade Staff Officer in Dublin.

This letter is dated 23 October and refers to events since his last letter on 17

23 October, letter to darlingest Mother This must be your birthday letter, many many happy returns of the Day. May I be with you on your next one. I do hope you are well & not worrying much about me. I am well & getting on quite all right. I am sorry it is such a long time since I wrote last, but I simply havent had a chance lately. We have been very busy the last few days, & have done a good bit of fighting. Things have been going on very well & the Regt has been doing splendidly. The day that I last wrote we had topping billets in an infant school. The old lady, the mother of the schoolmistress, was awfully good to us & made us very comfortable. We left in the evening & went closer up to the firing line & billeted in a farm. We had just finished breakfast when the enemy started shelling the village. We had just got out safely when they landed one slap into our farm & set it on fire. The medical officer & I had a great time rescuing the live-stock. There was one poor old horse who would not come out of its stall for a long time, he wouldnt face the fire outside. I was afraid we should have to shoot him, but we finally got him out by putting a cloth over his head. It is awfully bad luck on the poor wretched people. They generally stick to their homes to the last. The animals too come in for a rather cheap time poor beggars. It will be a good thing for everyone when the war is over. We got shelled a good bit & sniped, but had no-one killed or badly hit. We had to dig trenches against time but done all right. We moved in the night & took up a new position & again entrenched. By Jove Im quite a nut at digging trenches now! The next day was fairly peaceable for us, but at about 10.30pm they made a big night attack. At one place in the company they got through between 2 trenches, about a dozen of them I think, & came up behind, the officer said Dont shoot we are French. Our fellows however where not to be had. They turned round & downed 9 of them. They havent tried rushing us since, although last night there was a good bit of firing. I dont think they got very close. They have been shelling us a good bit to-day & although they make some lucky shots, they dont do much damage. 3 or 4 times they have hit the parapet of our trenches & buried the men in the debris, but on no occasion were the men hurt, one just dug them out & there they were, unhurt but rather shocked! One doesnt hear much but I hear that things are going well with us all along the lines, & that the Russians have had a big victory, which is also good. I dont know how long we shall be here. I & the Major, who commands our Coy, live in a ditch by the road side, when we arent in the trenches. I never knew a ditch could be so comfortable. I sleep in the trenches. Weve got some straw at the bottom which makes it quite nice. Dear old Mater, I do hope you are well & not worrying. I shall be quite all right. It is absolutely topping getting your letters & parcels. Thanks so much for them. I got your last parcel yesterday, with the muffler & things in it. I wore the muffler last night & it kept me splendidly warm. Thanks most awfully for everything. My platoon were very grateful for the cigarettes. I shouldnt worry about me, Im not having at all a thin time, but I should like a wash more frequently! Ive just had one & a shave. It makes a new man of me. It was the 1st for 4 or 5 days. I dont know when I last took my boots off! I have kept very well, its great to think we are knocking these blighters all right. Theres no doubt about ours being a righteous cause. They dont play the game at all. Oh! I had great fun the other night rounding some pigs out of another burning farm. We had a regular pig hunt, the blighters would not go through the door & finally I & the other fellow, the Coy QrMrSgt, had to lift them out by the ears & the tail. We got them all out in the end, also 2 calves & some dogs & other odd animals. The farm got set on fire by their artillery. They put 23 shells into one small row of cottages. They finally caught fire. I dont know quite what their idea is. The other day A Coy took 10 prisoners, good work. Today has been lovely. The sun has been shining beautifully. Thanks so much for the little prayer book & the Isaiah. Good old College. Pope is well & hearty. They spend a lot of time potting at our aeroplanes, but I dont think they ever hit them. Please thank Karf very much for her letter. It is very good of her to write so often. I do like her letters & everyones. I hope Bill (BVG) is well & getting on all right at school (Eastbourne College), & that they all are flourishing. Please give Ammama(EBM) my very best love when you write. Very best love darlingest Mother, & God bless you all. Very many happy returns once more. Quite well off for boots at present. 24th Still well. Nothing. Just got another splendid parcel. Thanks awfully.

Greetings Matt

from just above.

"The next day was fairly peaceable for us, but at about 10.30pm they made a big night attack. At one place in the company they got through between 2 trenches, about a dozen of them I think, & came up behind, the officer said Dont shoot we are French. Our fellows however where not to be had. They turned round & downed 9 of them."

and from post 5.

At 10.30 pm the enemy made a concerted attack on the 3rd Rifle Brigade and the left of the 1st North Staffords, and a few of them succeeded in breaking through. The line, however, was held intact and B Company, under captain G E Leman, did good work in helping to repel the enemy, who left behind the bodies of one Officer and several other ranks, and some wounded prisoners. The German Officer’s sword is preserved as a trophy in the 1st Battalion’s Officers’ Mess, together with the following description of how it fell into their hands:

sure to be the same event.

Martin

Hello,

My great uncle was with the 1st North Staffs and was killed on 23rd October 1914

I too found that the page of the war diary for 20th October was missing from the down load version.

I obtained a copy of this page of the war diary from the regimental museum at Whittington some years ago.

Brian.

Welcome Brian,

Can you tell us about your Great Uncle.

anything you have can add to the greater remembrance of their sacrifice.

Martin

P.S anything you have for the 20th too..!!

Martin, Thanks for the pics of a sword like the one held in the regt.. Too bad no name on the blade. Good luck in your efforts to match the action & find the name of the officer who was killed. What an engagement, one killed by bayonet , other killed by sword! Seems odd to read that even in 1914.

Even odder the caveat not to publish the pic of the actual sword they let you look at! I wonder at the reasoning behind that ruling? Good luck & hope we can put a name to the officer ind due course.