Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What we all reading at the moment

armourersergeant

Ok everybody what book are we reading at this moment?

I am currently reading 'From private to feild marshall' the autobiography of Sir william Robertson and so far i am impressed how down to earth and non fussy it is if you know what i mean.

Arm.

St Julien, Ypres, By Graham Keech.

Reccomended by Tom Morgan. ( Toms website ) is the book good, don`t know, I have lost my reading glasses. LOL. but will let you know when i find them and read the book.

garyem1 :D

"War Underground - The Tunnellers of The Great War" by Alexander Barrie.

Interesting to read that 171 Company, not used to army rules, were going to strike for more pay until they were told that if their ringleader was found, he would be shot.

Myrtle

Guest Bert Hoornaert

I am reading "Der Tod am Kemmel" by Adolf Sempf. (A Dutch translation, because my knowledge of German is not that good) It's a very small book that I found among a pile of books that belonged to my grandfather.

Bert

With the German armies in the West by Sven Hedin.

Ralph

"Pioneer Battalions in the Great War" by Mitchinson. Although this covers British pioneers only, I'm assuming the tasks and duties described would have been much the same for my grandad in 3rd Cdn Pioneers. (Nice photo of Aussie pioneers for the chaps down under). ;)

I’m at the half way mark of ‘The 50th Battalion In No Man’s Land’ by Victor W. Wheeler (ISBN: 1-896979-15-7). Wheeler was a signaler in the 50th (Alberta) and he used his war diary and letters to write the book. At this point I’ll give it an 8 out of 10.

Next book will be Byng Of Vimy.

Garth

Just about to start a book about the Turkish side of Gallipoli, and waiting in the wings is an interesting book about the Germans who served in the Australian forces in the war.

Cheers

Andrew

On my desk are currently: "Lice" by Blaise Cendrars (The Horrors of the First World War by a man who experienced them, the French side of it); "Standschütze Bruggler" by Anton Graf Bossi Fedrigotti (about the War in the Alps/Tyrolia, rather nationalistic, as published in 1934); "Gedichte gegen den Krieg" (poems against the war, an anthology); "For Remembrance" by A. St. John Adcock (Soldier Poets who have fallen in the War).

Regards

Daniel

Just about to start "The First Blitz" by Andrew Hyde about German air raids on Britain 1917-18 and am almost finished on "The Baby Killers" by Thomas Fegan on a similar subject.

Dave.

Samuels, Martin. Command or Control? Command, Training and Tactics in the British and German Armies, 1888-1918.

Halfway through Blindfold and Alone by Cathryn Corns and John Hughes-Wilson. To follow, The War the Infantry Knew by Capt JC Dunn.

I have just read "Horses can't fly" the memoirs of Fred Libby a former Colorado cowboy. After spending his early life breaking horses and rounding up cattle Fred decides to leave home in search of adventure. He travelled to Canada just as WW1 was begining. On a whim he decided to join a Canadian motor-transport company and was sent to France. After a year he applied to become an Observer in the RFC and shot down a German plane on his first flight!!! He was a comrade of Albert Ball VC and after a period of time became a pilot himself. He was credited with 14 victories, and was awarded the MC.

I bought it via the internet from Amazon.co.uk.

A very interesting read and I recommend it.

Terry

Nearing the end of "Haig's Command" by Denis Winter. Interesting, but he (the author) comes across as being a man with a vindictive mission. In places his arguments seem thin and whilst he makes some interesting and controversial points, a lot of what he writes comes across as being circumstantial evidence open to interpretation as one wishes rather than hard facts.

Tim

'The Shield of Achilles' by Philip Bobbitt - sees 'epochal wars' as the means by which states transform themselves into new consititutional forms - feels we are in this process now after the 'Long War' of 1914-1990!!

Hard....but very thought provoking. Recommended for the 'big picture'.

Simon

"War and Remembrance" by Winter and Sivan - required reading for my course, but pretty hard going. To be followed by "The Great War and Modern Memory" by Paul Fussell.

Books through the letterbox - yesterday "The Unreturning Army" Huntly Gordon RFA 2nd Lt involved at Hill 60 1917. And today "The memoirs of Lord Chandos" Brigade Major of the 4th Guards Brigade at the Battle of the Lys. The great thing about taking a course is the requirement for buying books! :D

Bert

Can you tell me what "Der Tod am Kemmel" is about please? Does it cover April 1918?

Recently finished To win a war by John Terraine. Next on the list is a re-read of Andy Simpson's Evolution of Victory.

• Admin

I'm reading Siegfried Sassoon, the Journey from the Trenches, by Jean Moorcroft Wilson. Just getting to the bit where Sassoon is starting to write the Sherston books.

Michelle

:blink:

I am reading Malcolm Brown's The Somme for the IWM...just finished Martin and Mary Middlebrook's Battlefield Guide to the Somme.

Take a guess what area I am diving into at the moment? :rolleyes:

Hope to see the Pals on the Somme for 1st July...anyone attending?

Patrick

Khaki and Gown - the autobiography of Field Marshall Lord Birdwood. Wonderful pictures of life in India between 1886 and the Great War. He comes over as a man, who although clearly of his class and his time, genuinely loved India and the men of all ranks who served in the Indian Army. Looking forward to the section on Gallipoli and his thought on the campaign!

I found 'The First Blitz' an excellent account of the big Gotha raid of June 13th 1917 but wasn't so struck on the general background stuff. 'The Baby Killers' has a good gazeteer, giving details of memorials and other bits and pieces. That was better than the chronological accounts section of the book in my view.

Theo

Shot in the Tower by Leonard Sellers

The Somme by Gary Sheffield

Loos-Hohenzollern(French Flanders)by Andrew Rawson

Regards Kevin

"Death For Desertion" by Leonard Sellers. Publication date 22nd May, it's a new book on the Court Martial and Exexcution of Sub. Lt. Dyett.

Black Lamb Gray Falcon by Dame Rebecca West, a re-read, recently visited her grave at Brookwook with Paul Rason. Superb history and travel book about the Balkans. Every one who has written of the subject since pays tribute to this wonderful work.

Bravest of Hearts - Hal Giblin with David Evans and Dennis Reeves.

The biography of a Battalion (10th Liverpool (Scottish) ) during The Great War. Excellent tome crammed packed with info. Roll of Honour both alphabetically and chronological. Roll of men commissioned from ranks. Over 200 pages of photos with accompanying facts, such as places of birth, residences, other family members serving, occupations, and what they acheived in later life. More a reference book but still makes a great read.