Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R.G.A. Soldier 438 seige Battery

manchester48

I am researching the service records of my husband's relatives and have come across the following details of one soldier.

Benjamin Howarth, born 17.4.1880 at Middleton, Lancashire. Married to Sarah Mary Wiggins.

Attested with R.G.A. at Bury Lancashire 11.12.1915

Regt No: 156163 aged 35

His service records gave the following brief details and no matter how much searching I do on Google or RGA sites can find little or nothing regarding the details given, especially 438 siege batty. I wonder if anyone can shed any light on any of the information given.

11.12.1915 - Attested

12.12.1915 - To Army Reserve

2.5.1917 - Posted

" - Mobilised

3.5.1917 - To depot RGA

21.5.1917 - Posted to 438 Siege Battery, Farnborough RGA

3.8.1918 - Wounded, B.S.W.F. H. (or A) - admitted to field hospital

2.1.1919 - Proceeded to Oswestry discharge centre for release as demobilised. Embarked Cherbourg

3.1.1919 - Discharged BEF.

That's all I have about him but wonder where he was stationed when he was wounded or any information about him at all.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give.

From WO 95/5494 (Allocations of Siege Bttys, RGA): 438th Seige Battery, RGA was armed with six 6" Howitzers. The HQs and two sections with four 6" Howitzers went to Italy on 12 January 1918 and joined 104th Heavy Artillery Group there on 22 January 1918. The remaining section went to the Western France on 18 January 1918 and joined Third Army. In the same month the personnel of this section were posted to 78th Siege Battery and the two howitzers of this section were withdrawn to base. Two 8" howitzers were issued to the section after it joined 78th Siege Battery.

The war diary of HQs and the two sections that went to Italy for the period January to April 1918 can be found at TNA under WO 95/4206. The war diary for the section with 78th Siege Battery, RGA is under WO 95/396.

Many thanks for the info and TNA references rflory. I wasn't sure if he was in Italy or France. Assuming as he was embarking, wounded, in Cherbourg he must have been with the Third Army in France. Interesting that he was transferred to 78th Siege Battery. Will follow up that info too. Any idea what kind of wound he was suffering from? B.S.W.F.H. (or A). Blast shot wound forehead of forearm? Only come across a GSW (gun shot wound) before. You can tell I'm not at all military minded and am a bit out of my comfort zone. The only involvement I've had with things military is looking up family service records on Ancestry.

Regards

Margaret

He went to Italy. He went to Cherbourg and back to Oswestry for demob.

I think you may be referring to ?/3SMFA (No.3 South Midland Field Ambulance) and 24 CCS (24 Casualty Clearing Station), both in Italy. I cannot see for how long but he obviously returned to the battery after a short time.

Kevin

My guess is that what you state as 'B S W' is actually 'G S W' which stands for 'Gun Shot Wound' which during the Great War was used to indicate both wounds from rifle or MG fire or wounds from shrapnel due to artillery shelling. The "F. H." could be 'forehead' or it could be 'R. A.' (right arm) or 'R. H.' (right hand).

It looks like :

3/8/18 Received from "BSMFH" (or " *3SMFH") "To 28CCS"

So it's a place, not his wound.

FH must be Field Hospital.

So it's BSM or (Something illegible)3SM Field Hospital.

The entry on the line below isn't clear either apart from the date 10/8/18.

The description "Field Hospital" was not used in the Great War. I agree it's a medical unit, not a type of wound, and I think it refers to 3rd South Midland Field Ambulance, part of 48th (South Midland) Division, which incidentally was serving in Italy.

Cherbourg was the port for the "Mediterranean Lines of Communication" which ran south and east across France to the Mediterranean coast and on to Italy, where it went on to Taranto in the "instep" and thence by sea to Alexandria or Salonika.

Ron

The description "Field Hospital" was not used in the Great War. I agree it's a medical unit, not a type of wound, and I think it refers to 3rd South Midland Field Ambulance, part of 48th (South Midland) Division, which incidentally was serving in Italy.

Cherbourg was the port for the "Mediterranean Lines of Communication" which ran south and east across France to the Mediterranean coast and on to Italy, where it went on to Taranto in the "instep" and thence by sea to Alexandria or Salonika.

Ron

Yes I agree.

Looking again, it could even be 1/2 SMFA

Many thanks all you guys for all this info. The details I have were copied by me a few years ago from his war service record on Ancestry (& don't have a copy of) some of which was read/difficult to understand. Thanks for the clarification of the acronym. LOL. My ignorance of all things military showing there. I know his siege bty merged with the 78 Baty with the Third Army but thought they were fighting at the Battles of the Somme (1918)!! Now confused as to whether he was in Italy or France. I thought it was Italy originally until someone informed me that the 78th was in France with 88th Brigade. Utterly confused now. Ha

Margaret

Margaret

Evacuation via Cherbourg does suggest, but does not prove, that he was in Italy at some point, as that port did not form part of the evacuation chain for troops in France or Belgium. But he may have served in France at some time before going to Italy: most of the British troops in Italy went there in Nov 1917 or later, although some RGA siege batteries went earlier in that year.

Ron

It is 1/3 South Midland Field Ambulance. If you are using Ancestry , use the invert colours tool and it is a tiny bit clearer.

TR

Margaret,

He did not serve with 78 SB. The battery was split up before going to France. The two sections that went to Italy stayed 438 SB, and his records give his embarkation from Portsmouth on the 12th Jan 1918, and disembarkation at Le Havre the following day. The battery joined 104 Brigade in Italy on the 22nd Jan 1918 and you need the war diaries for both 438 SB and 104 Bde which is in the same file at the Nat. Archives under the reference that Dick (rflory) has given you.

The section that was posted to 78 SB left England 9 days later.

Kevin

Thanks Terry-Reeves but I cancelled my Ancestry subscription for 18 months while I deal with health issues. I've made a note of your comment though for future reference. Thanks

Margaret

kevrow - That's good clarification from you. So he probably was in Italy then as I first thought. I've already noted the NA war diaries ref provided by rflory so will move forward with that when I'm able. Many thanks

Margaret

Ron - Thanks for your comment. I wondered if Cherbourg was the evacuation point for casualties from Italy. And although it doesn't prove he wasn't fighting in Italy it also doesn't prove he was in France either!! Will have to wait until I have the war diaries - if they cover this period that is.

Margaret

Ron & Kevrow

Reference the entry from The Long, Long Trail. List of Units/Formations that saw battle in Italy includes 403 Battery in the list of Army troops.

• 8 years later...

Interestly Margaret my grandfather service number 156044 was enlisted in the 438 SB 21/5/17 at Gosport  then transferred /posted to France 18/01/18 as part of BEF and joined 78SB on 28/01/1918   

Your relatives service number is only 119 later than my grandfathers 

You also state 438 RGA in 1917 at Farnborough whereas my GF was 438 SB 21/05/1917 in Gosport? both in Hampshire

Oops just seen that you replied to my original post but did you ever establish if he went to Italy? 78SB were 100% in France near Arras in 1918  

Chris

Edited by Christopher Neil