Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

P13 Hookie

Khaki

post-29707-0-04338000-1430953989_thumb.jpost-29707-0-84902000-1430954024_thumb.jpost-29707-0-04338000-1430953989_thumb.j

This is a few shots of my P13 hookie dated July 1913, I tried once before to post some pictures but they were very poor quality I hope that these shots are better. The blade was pretty rusty and had some pits, I have managed to clean them out but it is still a work in progress.

khaki

post-29707-0-12748600-1430954044_thumb.j

This is a few shots of my P13 hookie dated July 1913, I tried once before to post some pictures but they were very poor quality I hope that these shots are better. The blade was pretty rusty and had some pits, I have managed to clean them out but it is still a work in progress.

khaki

khaki,

Is there a serial number stamped on the pommel ?

Regards,

LF

The pommel iron has rust bubbling on it and the serial number is pretty well concealed or maybe gone, I have not tried to do to much to the iron, I am at the stage of trying to 'think' it off.

khaki

Looks a really interesting and rare piece!

... I have not tried to do to much to the iron, I am at the stage of trying to 'think' it off.

I quite understand... That has been my approach to a Greek Y1903 and a Turkish M1913 I have... There are numbers and scripts barely visible at the edge of some nasty oxidising (black, not rust) patches and I worry about removing them...

Hello Julian,

I am not a metallurgist, but I know from experience that rust on iron is more corrupting than on steel which is more localized, I am sure with your professional experience that you are well aware of the problems of iron that's decaying, it's a bit like peeling an onion you can end up with nothing. While the pommel is nowhere near that level of degradation, I will leave it alone and keep it lightly oiled.

regards

khaki

I am not a metallurgist, but I know from experience that rust on iron is more corrupting than on steel which is more localized, I am sure with your professional experience that you are well aware of the problems of iron that's decaying, it's a bit like peeling an onion you can end up with nothing. While the pommel is nowhere near that level of degradation, I will leave it alone and keep it lightly oiled.

I'm not a metallurgist either but surely the pommel is steel as opposed to iron isn't it?

Chris

Hello Chris,

I am not 100% positive but I have always thought it to be a iron casting based on the easy deformity to the pommel edges and the way it is more subject to aggressive

rust. Again I am more than willing to be corrected and I am sure our bayonet 'buddies' will know more about the manufacturing process of the P13 and 07 bayonets.

regards

khaki

My copy not to hand but from memory I think the specification for the P '07 is in the Textbook of Small Arms 1929. Maybe that will claify the metal used for the pommel?

Regards

AlanD

Sydney