Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wielsbeke Churchyard

Guest Local authorities Wielsbeke

I'm searching for more detailed info about three soldiers who are burried in our churchyard. All three men were killed on the same day (28/07/1917), probably their airplane crashed. There were no eyewitnesses, our archives had been lost during WW II. Their names are :

1/ Corbishley, Ronald Heatcote, Second Lieutenant, Royal Flying Corps (57th Sqdn)

2/ Rickards, Hew Wardrop Brooke, Lieutenant, Royal Flying Corps (51st Sqdn)

3/ Skeffington HNS, Second Lieutenant, Royal Flying Corps, (57th Sqdn).

Can anyone tell us more about the history of these sqdns ? Or can anyone tell us how to gather more detailed info about these men.

Thanks in advance

Guy Seyns

Rijksweg 314

B-8710 WIELSBEKE

Belgium

To start you off, if you haven't already received this information.

From Commonwealth War Graves web site (CWGC.org)

Skeffington HNS - age 33 and son of Martin Southwell Skeffington of 6 Leinster Mansions, Hampstead and the late Mary Louisa Skeffington.

Corbishley RH - age 27 and husband of Eva Phillis Corbishley 20 Newhall St Macclesfield. Originally with 8th Battalion of Devonshire Regiment.

Rickards HWB - age 21 son of Rev Walter Brooke Rickards and Mary Christine Rickards of Buckland Rectory, Broadway, Worcestershire. Originally with Royal Field Artillery.

From the book Sky Their Battlefield

Skeffington was pilot of DH4 bomber number A7448 with 57 Squadron (must have transferred from 51 Sqn?). He took off at 4-15pm on a bombing mission to Ingelmunster. His observer Lt A C Mallach was wounded in the action and taken prisoner of war.

Rickards was pilot of a similar aircraft number A7538 again with 57 Squadron. His observer was RH Corbishley. They took off at the same time as Skeffington on the same mission.

Also on the same mission were Capt Minot and Lt Leete, they too were shot down and are buried in Harlebeke New British Cemetery.

The book lists possible German pilots from Jasta 6 who claimed 'kills' in the area, they were all between 5-50 and 6pm

57 Squadron was based at Boisdinghem.

RFC Communique for 28 July states 'when returning from bombing Heule and Bissinghem aerodrome 5 machines of 57 Squadron encountered 30 enemy scouts, of which one was seen to break up in the air and at least 6 others were claimed as shot down out of control' later it states 'when returning from a bombing raid De Havilland 4's of 57 Squadron met a formation of Albatross scouts Lt Biedermann shot down one in flames, Major Joy shot down 2 others while Capt Harker shot down one out of control'

This seems to suggest that there were at least 6 DH4's in the air at that time, but what ever it seems as if it was a 'bit of a scrap'

Hope this helps

John

• 7 months later...

There is an excellent obituary of R H Corbishley in the book " For King's and Country" by David Hill. This was a private publication but is available via Amazon I believe. I do have a copy and can supply scans for reference if you require.

Steve ( Macclesfield )

• 2 months later...
There is an excellent obituary  of R H Corbishley in the book " For King's and Country" by David Hill. This was a private publication but is available via Amazon I believe. I do have a copy and can supply scans for reference if you require.

Steve  ( Macclesfield )

Steve,

In meanwhile I have found the book at a bookshop in Ypres. Thanks a lot.

Guy

To start you off, if you haven't already received this information.

From Commonwealth War Graves web site (CWGC.org)

Skeffington HNS - age 33 and son of Martin Southwell Skeffington of 6 Leinster Mansions, Hampstead and the late Mary Louisa Skeffington.

Corbishley RH - age 27 and husband of Eva Phillis Corbishley 20 Newhall St Macclesfield. Originally with 8th Battalion of Devonshire Regiment.

Rickards HWB - age 21 son of Rev Walter Brooke Rickards and Mary Christine Rickards of Buckland Rectory, Broadway, Worcestershire. Originally with Royal Field Artillery.

From the book Sky Their Battlefield

Skeffington was pilot of DH4 bomber number A7448 with 57 Squadron (must have transferred from 51 Sqn?). He took off at 4-15pm on a bombing mission to Ingelmunster. His observer Lt A C Mallach was wounded in the action and taken prisoner of war.

Rickards was pilot of a similar aircraft number A7538 again with 57 Squadron. His observer was  RH Corbishley. They took off at the same time as Skeffington on the same mission.

Also on the same mission were Capt Minot and Lt Leete, they too were shot down and are buried in Harlebeke New British Cemetery.

The book lists possible German pilots from Jasta 6 who claimed 'kills' in the area, they were all between 5-50 and 6pm

57 Squadron was based at Boisdinghem.

RFC Communique for 28 July states 'when returning from bombing Heule and Bissinghem aerodrome 5 machines of 57 Squadron encountered 30 enemy scouts, of which one was seen to break up in the air and at least 6 others were claimed as shot down out of control' later it states 'when returning from a bombing raid De Havilland 4's of 57 Squadron met a formation of Albatross scouts Lt Biedermann shot down one in flames, Major Joy shot down 2 others while Capt Harker shot down one out of control'

This seems to suggest that there were at least 6 DH4's in the air at that time, but what ever it seems as if it was a 'bit of a scrap'

Hope this helps

John

John,

In meanwhile we are almost one year further. I can't find anything about the survivor (LT Mallach). Can you help me ?

Guy

• 5 months later...

Guy

I do not know if you know the diary of Gustave Vuylsteke, published by the 'Roede van Tielt' in 2000 ? Gustave Vuylsteke wrote during four years, day-by-day everything he saw or he heared, in a most amazing diary about many 'facts & figures' about Meulebeke and the villages around. His father was a village policeman and gave him also a lot of information nobody ever could have. His descriptions are mostly very exact and essential.

For 28th July 1917 we writes in a very detailled, exact and lively way what happened that day. At 7:45 pm there were about 50 (!) airplanes above Meulebeke , suddenly they started fighting and shooting. He describes two planes were hidden. At Hulsvelde (Meulebeke) he saw with his own eyes the plane which was shot and the mutilated bodies of two 'English' pilots. Those two pilots were buried at the cemetery of Meulebeke on Monday 30th of July in a 'square tray' (vierkante bak). After the war, the graves of those two pilots probably has been replaced at Harelbeke New British Cemetery and were Capt Minot and Lt Leete ?

He confirmes this day by writing 'I heard say ... that an English plane was fallen at Wielsbeke'.

Kind regards

Frank

Guy

I do not know if you know the diary of Gustave Vuylsteke, published by the 'Roede van Tielt' in 2000 ? Gustave Vuylsteke wrote during four years, day-by-day everything he saw or he heared, in a most amazing diary about many 'facts & figures' about Meulebeke and the villages around. His father was a village policeman and gave him also a lot of information nobody ever could have. His descriptions are mostly very exact and essential.

For the 28th July 1917 he writes in a very detailled, exact and lively way what happened that day. At 7:45 pm there were about 50 (!) airplanes above Meulebeke , suddenly they started fighting and shooting. He describes two planes were hidden. At Hulsvelde (Meulebeke) he saw with his own eyes the plane which was shot and the mutilated bodies of two 'English' pilots. Those two pilots were buried at the cemetery of Meulebeke on Monday 30th July in a 'square tray' (vierkante bak). After the war, the graves of those two pilots probably has been replaced at Harelbeke New British Cemetery and were Capt Minot and Lt Leete ?

He confirmes this day by writing 'I heard say ... that an English plane was fallen at Wielsbeke'.

Kind regards

Frank

Guy

For the 28th July 1917 he writes in a very detailled, exact and lively way what happened that day. At 7:45 pm there were about 50 (!) airplanes above Meulebeke , suddenly they started fighting and shooting. He describes two planes were hidden. At Hulsvelde (Meulebeke) he saw with his own eyes the plane which was shot and the mutilated bodies of two 'English' pilots. Those two pilots were buried at the cemetery of Meulebeke on Monday 30th July in a 'square tray' (vierkante bak). After the war, the graves of those two pilots probably has been replaced at Harelbeke New British Cemetery and were Capt Minot and Lt Leete ?

Kind regards

Frank

• 2 months later...

Frank,

That's great. But it is almost certain that two planes crashed in Wielsbeke. But only three men were burried at the churchyard. There was one survivor (a certain Mallach). I know already a lot about the three airmen who are burried in Wielsbeke and the two who are burried in Harelbeke, but no trace of "Mallach". I wonder if he survived the war .

Thanks

Guy

• 2 months later...

Hi there

Sydney Leete was from my local village and is one of a number of men I'm currently researching to be included in a book that will be published with all monies going to the upkeep of our memorial/poppy fund. He has a memorial in the local church yard at the family plot, that is surmounted by a bronze of the RFC wings. Surprisingly I have still been unable to track down a picture of him but read with great interest your account of the action, if by an chance you have found a picture of him I would be very, very interested in acquiring a copy??

Cheers

Steve

• 4 months later...

Hello all,

It might be a late reply, but whilst googling for Wielsbeke churchyard I came up with this thread on the forum.

Malloch was taken prisoner by the Germans. he was lightly wounded in the left arm. The Germans took him to Desselgem and then towards Ghent for furthet transport to a POW camp. He was a Canadian Lt.

That's all I have on Malloch...

Two planes fell on Wielsbeke, one fell on the marketsquare, the other just outside the village. The dead were buried by the Germans in the churchyard. They have never been removed.

I have some more info on Corbishley and Rickards...

Does anyone have a photo of Skeffington? He was identified by the Germans and the locals by his shirt with the initials H.N.S. and by a collar with the name Skefftington...

i am writing a piece on these men as we speak for the Passchendaele Archives book. All the extra info on this raid or men is more then welcome on archives@passchendaele.be

all the best

jan

Jan,

I wrote a piece about Corbishley last 11th november for the remembrance service. I've two (german) eyewitness reports, one of them is probably from one of the german pilots who were involved but up till now it hadn't been confirmed. The other source is from a german infantry officer who saw the action when he was driving through Ingelmunster. I'll sent you my information, in advance I look forward to get more information about Rickards, Skeffington and Mallach. Minot and Leete are burried at Harelbeke, I've heard today that their plan crashed in Meulebeke (where they were burried). After the war they were brought to Harelbeke New British Cemetery.

Guy

Guy,

Meulebeke used to be a Feldlazarett as well. Lieutenant Hutchinson (57th Squadron) died of his wounds there the 12th of August 1917 and was buried in Meulebeke. After the war his body was recovered and reburied at Harelbeke. This was somewhere halfway the twenties. I still cannot figure out why the three men buried at Wielsbeke have not been moved.

I have no information on Minot and Leech. Since I have no photo I have not been able to look up their Service Record in the National Archives. If someone would come across a photo, please be in touch.

More info on Rickards and Corbishley (Mallach and Skeffington are only marginally mentioned) will be send today.

Best wishes,

Jan

Indeed I still have not managed to trace down a picture of Leete either, despite having trolled the local papers a number of times looking. I do have photos of Leete's memorial here in Essex if thats of any interest to any of you guys?

Can someone definitely comfirm for me where Leete's machine came down and why and when they were moved and the others not?

Cheers

Steve

Since Harlebeke NBC is a concentration cemetery, most of the burials have been concentrated from smaller cemeteries and from individual graves in the field. A lot of pilots are buried there as well, for when they crashed behind enemy lines, they usually were buried in a German Cemetery or a communal cemetery. I think Leete and Minot were exhumed and reburied in Harlebeke. I'm pretty sure of this:

Hutchinson, orginally buried at Meulebeke is now buried at Harlebeke (Harelbeke) grave ref plot I, row A, grave 8

Leet is now: I.A.13 and Minot is now I.A.14. There is a small number of graves in between Hutchinson and Leet/Minot. So I think there must have been some more men coming from Meulebeke. It used to be a Feldlazarett with -I think- a small cemetery attached.

I'm not sure where their plane fell exactley. Maybe some airforce experts can hell you on this.

Have you tried to locate Leet's service record in the National Archives? It's a must do. The best is to get both mens records, fro they might complete eachother on the burial details.

All the best,

Jan

Hi guys,

The was convinced that the plane of Minot and Leete crashed in Hulste but more and more I'm getting more details and it is more likely that their plane crashed in Meulebeke. I'm writing a text about the circumstances in which they were killed (together with Corbishley, Rickards and Skeffington). I do have two different german eyewitness reports.

When I have finished the text and if you want a copy, just ask.

Guy

Hi Guy,

I have experienced in my small humble research that pilots are often shot down above village A, but that they actually crash in village C and then buried in village D. I think this is often the case, for the Flemish village in those days were very, very small. It is hard to ascertain where pilots were shot down.

Meulebeke had a Fieldhospital. It could be that the men died of their wounds and have been buried on the cemetery in Meulebeke. Or it might have been the closest burialplace in the area, or...?

I'd like a copy of the text... :unsure:

Have you received my mail in the meanwhile? It should be in your snailmailpostvaksken any time now... . :ph34r:

All the best,

Jan

Guy

I would be really interested to get a copy of your research on this event as Leete is of interest to me and is proving to be a bit of an enigma. I will happily send you the details I have on him in return should you so wish?

Cheers

Steve

There are at three Mallochs still living in Arnprior:

Malloch, Grant

409 Ruth

Arnprior, ON K7S 1A1

(613) 623-6494

Malloch, Ian G

132 Riverview Dr

Arnprior, ON K7S 2G1

(613) 623-4026

Malloch, Rick

Forest Ridge Rd

Arnprior, ON K7S 3M8

(613) 623-5074

Rick may well be a son of Grant, since Grant was at one time shown on Forest Ridge.

Steve,

Is there any chance to find a picture of Leete ?

Guy