Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any WW1 men in this photograph?

Skipman

This photograph was taken in July 1970. They are all Black Watch men. Do you think there are any WW1 veterans. One is definitely WW2, as he was my wife's uncle.

2lcl0dx.jpg

Mike

1,2,4,7 from our right are, I'm intrigued about no 3.

1,2,4,7 from our right are, I'm intrigued about no 3.

Excellent, thanks Mick. I said all Black Watch, but may be wrong with that. The occasion was the Black Watch receiving the Freedom of Aberfeldy. It quite possible that this is a line up of locals who served in both wars, but they may be from any regiment, or Corps. My wife's uncle was in the Black Watch.

What intrigues you about number 3, The medals?

Mike

Yes but on reflection I think a couple of WW2 and a territorial medal.

And no.1 is improperly dressed on parade! Victory Medal first on the BWM ribbon, British War Medal second on the VM ribbon (so wrong on both counts).

And no.1 is improperly dressed on parade! Victory Medal first on the BWM ribbon, British War Medal second on the VM ribbon (so wrong on both counts).

I think we can forgive him, and I'm sure he earned them. Any gallantry medals on view?

Mike

With a 1939-45 Star; War Medal and Territorial Efficiency Medal, Number 3 may be a member of the 6th Battalion, Black Watch, who was either wounded or taken PoW during 1940 in France.

Sepoy

No 4 appears to have a Croix de Guerre.

No 4 appears to have a Croix de Guerre.

That's interesting. There can't be too many men from the area who won the Croix de Guerre. Didn't the 6th Black Watch Regiment earn it?

Sepoy, how can you tell that (would be happy for you to pm me your thoughts)

Mike

That's interesting. There can't be too many men from the area who won the Croix de Guerre. Didn't the 6th Black Watch Regiment earn it?

Sepoy, how can you tell that (would be happy for you to pm me your thoughts)

Mike

It is simply because he is not wearing any other Stars - the 6th Battalion also served in North Africa and Italy.

Back on WW1 track, No 7 appears to be wearing a 1914 Star and Date Bar; British War Medal and Victory Medal with an MID oakleaf (incorrectly) on his BWM.

Sepoy

Many thanks.

Do you reckon it was quite common for older men to get the medals wrong. Who would tell them how wear them correctly.

Mike

It might have depended how often they wore them. A couple of years ago I was shown a duo which had been found in drawer by the recipient's granddaughter which both had the same ribbon. (I can't now remember which.)

It's an interesting thought that the man in the picture has the ribbons in the right order.

RM.

Many thanks.

Do you reckon it was quite common for older men to get the medals wrong. Who would tell them how wear them correctly.

Mike

I think it is very common.

Many men were either unimpressed with their WW1 medals, or just simply wanted to forget all about it.

As a result, their medals were thrown into the back of a draw and forgotten. Accordingly, WW1 medals in their original registered post envelopes still turn up.

Many Veterans only began to show an interest in their war experiences during retirement, when they started to wonder about their old comrades, and had time to attend commemorative parades etc.

I am certain that their Medals were an afterthought, and left to the last minute, for the "Mrs" to stitch on a bar (in any order). I even recall seeing one Veteran at a parade with his medals secured by large safety pins. I think the desire to have a good chat with their "Chums" and have a pint or two was more important to them!

Sepoy

I think you've got that 'spot on' Sepoy, nice reply.

Another point was the ribbon of the VM was wider than that of the BWM, but had to go through the narrow suspension ring, thus many found it easier to switch the two around - narrower BWM ribbon through the narrow VM ring, wider VM ribbon through the wide BWM suspension bar.

I finally got to see recently the BWM and VM of a distant great uncle who was killed in 1917, had never been worn and were still boxed, yet someone in the past had put the ribbons on the wrong way round. When I pointed this out to his grand-daughter she said immediately that they must then go on the right ones! And so they did. ^_^

Is there any significance to the length of the Colour Sergeants sporran?

the two officers on left have similar sporrans to the colour sgt's