Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officers attending School of Musketry Pachmarhi May 1915

Simon_Fielding

I bought this photo about six months ago and have been following up the names and units: will start posting! Apologies if the research is a little basic.

post-50-0-17315800-1425919629_thumb.jpg

post-50-0-16006900-1425919782_thumb.jpg

...and the labelling too...

post-50-0-15516100-1425920006_thumb.jpg

1 O'Shea 8 GR

post-50-0-59437100-1425920075_thumb.jpg

Wilfred Bernard O’Shea: born Lahore, Bengal on the 12 February 1896, son of Francis Bernard and Ellen (Winifred?) O'Shea. Francis O’Shea was the Deputy Postmaster General of Behar Circle.

Living at Sudley Road, Bognor, in 1901; in 1911 at Oakbank, Newton Abbots

Attended Elizabeth College Guernsey with his Dermot Patrick O’Shea who was born on the 30th January 1898

Died 23 May 1916 aged 20, serving as 2Lt with the 1st Bn 8th Gurkha Rifles. Commemorated on the Basra Memorial.

Dermot killed in Aden 11 September 1917 aged 19, as Lt with the 69th Punjabis; buried Maala Cemetery

Both commemorated on father’s tombstone in Wanganui, New Zealand where he died in July 1927

Palmer 84 P

post-50-0-87293600-1425920342_thumb.jpg

Stephen Vaughan Palmer: Born Steyning, Sussex in 1895, the elder son of Alice Palmer nee Vaughan who was born in India in 1861. The family were living at 72 Florence Rd Brighton in 1901, and he attended Monmouth Boy’s School.

On the 28th August 1914, as a 2nd Lieutenant he is bound for Karachi with a complement of other officers on the government chartered Varsova . On arrival in India, he joined 84th Punjabis, gaining company rank on the 13th October 1914

“In 1902, the regiment, now designated as the 24th Madras Infantry, was reconstituted with Punjabi Muslims, Sikhs and Rajputs. Next year, as a result of the reforms brought about in the Indian Army by Lord Kitchener, all Madras units had 60 added to their numbers, and the regiment's designation was changed to 84th Punjabis. During the first three years of the First World War, the 84th Punjabis remained deployed on the North West Frontier of India. In March 1917, they were dispatched to Mesopotamia, where it operated on the Euphrates Line. By now, the Turkish Army in Mesopotamia had been largely defeated and the regiment did not see any significant fighting. In November 1918, it moved to Salonika in Greece and then six weeks later to the Russian Transcaucasia in support of the White Russian forces fighting the Bolsheviks. After spending 1919–20 in Turkey as part of the Allied occupation forces, it returned home in October 1920.”

Palmer was both mentioned in dispatches in the London Gazette, and gazetted captain in August 1918, and at the time of his marriage in Hendon to Beryl H Hunter in 1923, he is an acting Major, still with the 84th Punjabis. The regiment was amalgamated and redesignated the 1st Punjabis in the interwar period, and Palmer became their acting lieutenant-colonel by June 1944

Palmer died on the 16th October 1945, aged 50, while serving as Lieutenant Colonel of the 1st Punjab Regiment with the service number IA/531 .

His brother Godfrey Vaughan Palmer (1900-1972) served in WW2 as a Lieutenant Colonel on the Staff in Italy; he was Mentioned in Dispatches, and was a Temporary Brigadier at the Headquarters of Military Liaison in Greece. He was made a Commander of the British Empire in 1946.

Some previous discussion of the picture here:

• 1 month later...

Dear Simon

Would you mind putting up a close image of St. Maur please?

Kind regards

Patrick (back from a long absence)

post-50-0-83327500-1429774805_thumb.jpg

St Maur 14 HS

Major Richard William Maxwell St. Maur 22nd March 1892, Westminster, Middlesex, son of Major Richard Harold St. Maur and Elizabeth Mary Palmer.

2 Charterhouse Devon (Minor Counties Championship: 1910);

He married Nina Mary Mabel Campbell, daughter of Ion Douglas FitzGerald Campbell and Mabel Unsworth Quin, in 1919.

He gained the rank of Major in the service of the 14th Hussars.

D. 25th February 1978, Monte Carlo, Monaco

• 1 year later...

I would very much like permission to use the image of Wilfred Bernard O'Shea in my data base on Old Elizabethans who fell in WW1.

There were over 109 men from the school and I have managed to collect images on about 80% of them.

His school number is 3157 and he also attended Kelly College after leaving Elizabeth College in 1908.

Hi there -  that shouldn't be a problem. We can do private messages on the forum when I think you have posted something like 5 posts: then we can do emails, and I'll send you a higher quality image. 

Sincerely Simon 

I would very much like permission to use the image of Wilfred Bernard O'Shea in my data base on Old Elizabethans who fell in WW1.

There were over 109 men from the school and I have managed to collect images on about 80% of them.

His school number is 3157 and he also attended Kelly College after leaving Elizabeth College in 1908.

Very many thanks for that.

I noticed that the picture of the Musketry Group contained an Ozanne and a Le Suer the latter being a Jersey name.

The name Ozanne comes from Guernsey (France) and do you happen to know his initials - could they be E. G.? as I have one on my list who was in India with the 7th Royal Fusiliers.

Can't remember the source of this I'm afraid 

Guy Durand Ozanne
Guy was born in Guernsey on 2 April 1889, the eldest son of Lt-Col Charles Heineken Ozanne and Louisa Durand Kershaw. He was educated at King's School, Rochester and Elizabeth College, Guernsey (1903-1906).

He married Blanche Moysey and they had three children.
Early years
Military Career
On leaving school, he attended Sandhurst, passing out 9th in 1909. He joined the Royal Berkshire Regiment, then transferred to 99th Deccan Infantry of the Indian Army in 1912. He served in East Africa during World War I, reaching the rank of Major in 1917, where he was mentioned in despatches twice and awarded the Military Cross. He was attached to the Indian Army Signal Service between 1915-1923, and became Chief Instructor in 1920. He retired in 1923 with the rank of Major. He returned to England, and continued to serve in the Territorial Army in London. Between 1930 and 1935, he was Officer Commanding the City of London Signals Regiment, and was later Deputy Signals Officer. On his return to England, where he was Manager of the Radio Communications Company 1924-26. In 1926, he joined Wingrove and Rogers, where he worked until the outbreak of World War II.
He became a Member of the Institute of Electrical Engineers (MIEE) in 1928.
During World War II, he served as Head of Signals at the Special Operations Executive.

Thank you very very much for all those details but I am afraid it is not the person I wanted.

Incidentally Guy Durand's school number was 3053 and he was the elder of two brothers. His sibling Humphrey 3054  followed his brother into the army - Royal Warwickshire Regt. and ended up a major too, served at Archangel in 1918, but you probably know all about him, if not I have more details.

• 1 year later...

Dear Simon

I am living in the Netherlands.

Would you mind putting up a close image of Cambier please?

would this be Valentine Cambier?

Kind regards

Ruud

Hope this is ok - excuse note form! 

Cambier.jpg.f635b6146a7d39a80fbcf27da079acf0.jpg

Cambier 30L

Valentine Cambier 30th Lancers Presidency   Bengal Mother's first name(s)           Emily Angelina Mother's last name            -

Father's first name(s)         Ernest Frederick Father's last name Cambier

Baptism date        14 Feb 1894 Birth date       05 Feb 1894

1901 Census 35, Shakespeare Road, Bedford  Ernest F            Cambier le           58          1843              Colonel R A Retired            York Town, Surrey, England , Emily  Cambier Wife              Married  Female  46          1855      -             India       Transcription

Valentine              Cambier Son        -             Male       7            1894      -             India              Transcription

Gertrude M           Broughton            Step Daughter      Single    Female  20          1881      -              India       Transcription

Gladys M              Broughton            Step Daughter      Single    Female  17          1884      -              India       Transcription

Gilbert    Broughton            Step Son              Single    Male       14          1887      -             India              Transcription

Agnes L Filose     Sister-In-Law        Single    Female  42          1859      -             India              Transcription

Francis A              Filose     Brother-In-Law     Single    Male       19          1882      -             India              Transcription

1902 Bedford Grammar School

1911  Emily          Cambier Head      Widow    Female  56          1855      Gwalior India Resident              Private Means      Transcription

Valentine              Cambier Son        -             Male       19          1892      Neamuch India Resident Army Student

2Lt to be 2Lt LG 14 7 14 dated 7 3 1914

2Lt to be Lt LG 8 6 1915 dated 22 4 1915

3 Marriage date   14 Feb 1917 Hilda Doris Ashbrooke Crump Pachmarhi Bengal

DEATH: Dec 1993 - Ealing, London, England

Son killed by Nazis at Arnhem http://www.wartimememories.co.uk/holland.htmlhttp://www.wartimememories.co.uk/holland.html