Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

JH Smeaton (SPTS/654), son HW (SPTS/1403)

wbremner

Would be interested in any information on this interesting fellow and his son, both of whom enlisted in the First Sportsman's Battalion. I think he is James H. Smeaton (born c. 1860, Scotland) but I'm not sure. And I see an HW Smeaton who was born in 1900, but that would make him 15 when the below article was published in February 1915.

I have come across brothers enlisting in the same battalion, but how common (or uncommon) was it for fathers/sons to do this? And what was a "Sergeant of Police"?

Thanks!

Sgt J H Smeaton

SERGEANT J. H. SMEATON.

Sergeant Smeaton, our well-known Sergeant of Police, holds a record of military service which would be extremely hard to beat. He was formerly a Seaforth Highlander, and his war service reads: Afghan, 1878-79-80; actions of Piewall Kotll and Charasia; pursuit of the enemy; expedition to Maid- an; operations against the enemy, including assault and capture of Tahkt-i-shah; assault of the Asmai Heights, and action of December 23rd; action of Childukhtian; march from Kabul to Kandahar in August, and the battle of Kandahar. For his services he received the Afghan modal, with four clasps, and Smeaton was, with 50 other “Kandahar men,” specially decorated by the Corporation of the City of Edinburgh on the occasion of the granting of the Freedom of the City to Lord Roberts

This is not all. The gallant Sergeant has four sons: all serving in the Army. Jack, the eldest, who went through the South African War, is now a sergeant in the Royal Scots. Fred is with the Newfoundland contingent, and Gordon is with the R.F.A. The youngest son, H. W. Smeaton, is a member of this 1st Sportsman’s Battalion, and is one of the youngest soldiers in Kitchener’s Army, while the Sergeant himself is one of the oldest. In addition to their four sons serving with the Forces, Sergeant and Mrs. Smeaton have a son-in-law and seven nephews serving with the colours. Sergeant Smeaton has been attached to the Army for the last 40 years and hopes to be good for another 10 at the least. He and an old regimental friend were the only Kandahar veterans present at Lord Roberts funeral last November.

Was the 1st Sportsman Battalion actually Royal Fusiliers?

Yes, 23rd Royal Fusiliers. Sorry, should have specified.

I think I found them both in Ancestry -

James Hay Smeaton, b. 1856 (or 1852) in Edinburgh. So that would make him about 58 (or 62) at the time of the article .

Had 7 (or 8) children with Mary. Including boys John, Fred, Gordon, and Harry.

Harry Sydney (not H W) was born in October 1899, so that would make him 15 at the time of the article (Feb 1915).

I started to think that the drummer boy discussed in this post might be Harry, but he looks younger than 15.

REGIMENTAL BAND (A SECTION)

Hi William, I would say the lad in the photo looks younger than 15 but who knows? He could be the son of James Hay Smeaton.

I have just found service papers for his son John Hay Smeaton joining up at age 15 in 1899 so perhaps being a military man he sent all his sons away to be boy soldiers and that fits with what it says in your first post about this family.

I have found Harry's medal card 1403 23rd Royal Fusiliers and he also later served in the Scottish Rifles number 35129 and is due a 15 trio and his date of entry is 16/11/15 same as my man Robertson the Pipe Major

I remember seeing medals at a local auction not long ago to a George Stirrat of the Cameron Highlanders and who had previousley been the Drum Major of Queen Victoria School Pipe Band and led the band before the queen.

He went to France in 1914 with the Camerons and was sent home from France with shrapnel wounds to his legs age 14 in 1914 so there were probably quie a few laddies that went out as drummer boys with other regiments?

I've just done a search on the census for the family and the Father James Hay Smeaton died in 1917 in Edinburgh and CWGC confirms Sgt 654 Royal Fusiliers

Four sons are confimed on the 1901 census living in Edinburgh and there are a couple of private entries on ancestry which look interesting?

The family were all living in London on the 1911 census with wee Harry age 11

Your first post is 100% correct regarding this family William

Cheers

Jimmy

Hi William, I would say the lad in the photo looks younger than 15 but who knows? He could be the son of James Hay Smeaton.

I have just found service papers for his son John Hay Smeaton joining up at age 15 in 1899 so perhaps being a military man he sent all his sons away to be boy soldiers and that fits with what it says in your first post about this family.

I have found Harry's medal card 1403 23rd Royal Fusiliers and he also later served in the Scottish Rifles number 35129 and is due a 15 trio and his date of entry is 16/11/15 same as my man Robertson the Pipe Major

I remember seeing medals at a local auction not long ago to a George Stirrat of the Cameron Highlanders and who had previousley been the Drum Major of Queen Victoria School Pipe Band and led the band before the queen.

He went to France in 1914 with the Camerons and was sent home from France with shrapnel wounds to his legs age 14 in 1914 so there were probably quie a few laddies that went out as drummer boys with other regiments?

I've just done a search on the census for the family and the Father James Hay Smeaton died in 1917 in Edinburgh and CWGC confirms Sgt 654 Royal Fusiliers

Four sons are confimed on the 1901 census living in Edinburgh and there are a couple of private entries on ancestry which look interesting?

The family were all living in London on the 1911 census with wee Harry age 11

Your first post is 100% correct regarding this family William

Cheers

Jimmy

Thanks, Jimmy. Your research efforts are greatly appreciated.

I looked up the average height of 15 year old boys 100 years ago, and interesting to note that it was about 6 inches lower than today.

If the the men standing to his right were tall men (and there were quite a few in this battalion) and if the boy had a naturally small build, then it is possible that he could be Harry.

16/11/15 is indeed when the Sportsman's Battalions went over to France.

William