Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shell- shock

PFF

Picture of a Shell shock soldier....

Very nasty ! Today, they would call it PTSD or Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Regards,

LF

Looks rather happy to be out of it for a while rather than shell-shocked if you ask me

(either that or it's a grimace from the pain of what would appear to be an arm or shoulder injury)

Trying and failing to see the 'crazed look' in his eyes... he just looks to have pale coloured (and , possibly, watery through the pain) eyes to me

Sorry, but neither the caption nor the 'crazed stare' are proof of shell shock. Do we know who he is, does he have a medical diagnosis of shell shock?

Why is the other man about to dress his hand with a bandage in a trench, will this cure his shell shock?

TEW

Sorry, but neither the caption nor the 'crazed stare' are proof of shell shock. Do we know who he is, does he have a medical diagnosis of shell shock?

Why is the other man about to dress his hand with a bandage in a trench, will this cure his shell shock?

TEW

TEW,

Apparently, a soldier could become shell shocked by a single shell exploding close to him, and perhaps shrapnel from that same explosion blew some fingers off his left hand, and would that not have required someone having the decency to dress his wounded hand in the trench ?

Regards,

LF

LF,

Yes, I guess that scenario and many others are viable. I was doubting the academic knowledge of whoever captioned the image at Time to Break.com. That along with the statement that obviously he was shell shocked due to the look in his eyes leads me into a cynical view of the bold claims made on the back of what I guess is meant to be a heart string tugging modern caption.

I concede the man may be shell shocked but having looked through WWI medical documents, WO364, PIN26 records, Arthur Hurst's work and of other doctors working with shell shocked soldiers I want to see a medical diagnosis of shell shock, neuasthenia etc to be sure the man in question did have what was perceived as shell shock at the time.

Taking that a step further a soldier may have been diagnosed as shell shock by a FA or CCS but that diagnosis was not backed up higher up the medical chain.

I have watched documentaries that show film of soldiers that get the slow motion, emotive music treatment and the narration tells us that 'obviously, these men were shell shocked'. I just fail to see how a diagnosis can be made from a 100 year old photograph.

TEW

Shell shock or no shell shock I think the use of these unattributable photos to illustrate a really loose topic is just bad journalism. Have a look at this which gives a location for the photo but then in the first paragraph elaborates from the banal to the ridiculous. I've seen a lot of photos of soldiers smiling in the trenches - wryly or otherwise..

Mike