Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wrist watches

Landsturm

I`m interested in early wrist watches used by British/Germans/French during the war. Did their appearence change during the war? Does anyone have a photo/illustration of a wrist watch to post here?

• 9 months later...

Here's a picture of Lieut. Grover Carter's wrist watch ( the strap didn't survive) He was in the U.S. Army physician but spent his entire service attached to BEF. My cousin, who has the watch, has promised me a picture of the back of the watch. He tells me there is no indication of a maker other than some numbers on the back.

Ann Kimzey

post-6791-1125522202.jpg

Actually, my cousin who provided the picture (previous post) of my great uncle's watch said that wrist watches were "invented" because of WWI soldiers needing quick access to the time. I "googled" watches and history and did not find out anything to confirm this.

Does anyone have any information.....???

Ann

The use of wrist watches actually pre-dates the war, however, they were generally seen as effeminate, or an item of women's wear and therefore not very popular. Early wrist watches were often pocket watches modified for wear on the wrist.

It was the Great War that made the wrist watch popular. From personal experience it is just a lot easier to look at your wrist and try and hunt down a pocket watch some where under your webgear.

The most distinctive feature of WW1 era watches is the wire lugs for the watch band.

As already mentioned, Ebay is a good place to look to atleast become familar with what a watch looks like.

Example One

Example Two

Example Three

How does one identify these as WW1 watches? Or are they just from around that period? When was the first official issue of a military watch? Phil B

I dont know about the British army, but I don't know of the US army issuing any watches. This was an item purchased by the soldiers themselves and so they tended to run the spectrum of commercial models. You'll see watches from Swiss manufactures and American firms such as Waltham or Elgin. However, many of these companies marketed a "trench watch" which was often made of nickle rather than silver or gold to withstand greater abuse and the addition of a "shrapnal guard" to protect the watch crystal.

I assume that in those days, the only crystals in a watch would be jewelled bearings. Was that thought to be particularly susceptible to shrapnel damage? I would have thought other parts were more vulnerable? (Springs, escapement etc)

When I used the term "crystal" I was refering to the glass cover over the porcelain dial. The purpose is to protect the watch face.

Here is an example of a shrapnal guard.

A Rather Special Watch,presented to Pte Robert Quigg VC,by the Mother of the Officer he saved,