Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Christmas Truce letter uncovered

nfh249

Extremely interesting to have a first hand written account of the Truce, and also quite amazing was the report that General Congreve won the Victoria Cross during the Second Boer War and his son Billy also won the V.C., making them the only instance of a father and son in the same regiment to be awarded the V.C.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

LF

"I was invited to go & see the Germans myself but refrained as I thought they might not be able to resist a General" - Wise decision I would imagine!

Anne

Tremendous find, I hope a lot more letters come to light in the next few weeks as the Christmas Truce centenary comes around.

There's been a great deal of discussion (some of it pretty heated) on either side about what happened and it would be great to see more contemporary evidence of the various truce events.

It's interesting to see that he doesn't appear to disapprove of events particualrly either.

Which Battalion is he refering to playing football further North? Due to lack of punctuation is that what he says?

Looks like 1st RB. And in his part of the truce they were shooting at each other all day?

TEW

It is 1st Battalion, The Rifle Brigade, TEW, but they were part of 11th Brigade, 4th Division, rather than his own brigade (18th in 6th Division). He may have heard the story from the Rifle Brigade officers he met later during the day, as mentioned in the letter. The details he records from his visit to the 1st North Staffords tie in with the many accounts written by soldiers from all ranks about the truce in their sector. However, as I have stated in a previous thread, an extract from the letter, mentioning the sniper, has appeared in print before as it was quoted on Pages 96 and 97 in "Armageddon Road" - A VC's Diary 1914-1916, by Terry Norman, published in 1982. Also, in other versions of the article published in various newspapers (the BBC have done a bit of background research), it gives a misleading impression of where Congreve was that day and what his role was. but I think these reports have been based on a press release from Staffordshire County Council as far as I can make out.

I read an account on the truce, the German had shot and an officer and buried him unknown on the truce they described his features, rank etc and handed over the cross to the english who inscribed his name and handed back the cross to be placed on his grave.

The dates tie in with Captain Askew

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/873994/ASKEW,%20HENRY%20ADAM

Great account, thanks for sharing. John Rieth