Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cyclist Battalion, Dorset Regiment?

trajan

A series of photographs held by the IWM are identified as a GW-period "Sergeant of the cyclist battalion of the Dorset Regiment in marching (sic) order.", one of these is posted at http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=218877#entry2186299, the others at http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205296322, etc. But I cannot find a reference to such a unit on LLTor anywhere else - anyone know of such a unit? Or are the photographs wrongly labelled?

Trajan

It could be a mistake for Dorset Yeomanry. Most of the second-line yeomanry units were converted to cyclists by 1916 and served at home, including some which went to Ireland.

Ron

Thanks Lads! Dorset Yeomanry would certainly make sense! Apologies to you and all for not remembering that most (all?) county regiments had yeomanry equivalents.

Trajan

Not your fault, Trajan! The IWM just seem to have put the wrong caption on the photo.

Ron

Ron is right. He is probably in the 2nd/1st Dorset Yeomanry, which became a cyclist unit in July 1916.

Here is the image that I originally found which led me to the source at the IWM. No mistaking the date, rifle or regiment from this caption ...

post-52604-0-31966500-1416093512_thumb.j

Trajan,

Here is an enlarged portion of the photo of the soldier in that series of photos, hopefully, one of our cap badge experts can confirm the cap badge, if it is clear enough ?

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-74618800-1416099452_thumb.j

LF there is no mystery here. The image that I posted is of fairly high definition and as you can see the cap badge and shoulder titles are clearly that of the Dorset Yeomanry.

post-52604-0-31198700-1416262942_thumb.j

LF there is no mystery here. The image that I posted is of fairly high definition and as you can see the cap badge and shoulder titles are clearly that of the Dorset Yeomanry.

S>S,

I know little about cap badges, so I am sure you are correct :thumbsup:

Regards,

LF