Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Filming of WW1 Stories.....in Kent

Lummox

A group of the Wright family earlier this year (2014) travelled to Ypres for a long weekend basically for a piss up. We did tours on all days and frankly came back shell shocked! Although I knew basic stuff about WW1 actually being there and visiting Passchendaele, Plug Street, Hellfire Corner and the Tyne Cot Cemetery just blew me away. We stood on the German machine gun bunkers at Passchendaele and watched people walking up the hill and how conspicuous they were and how "unmissable" they would have been to a water cooled Maxim!

Now my daughter has just graduated from University in Film and Media Studies and plans to be a film producer/director specializing in documentaries.

Well now me being a Thespian myself (Golden Compass, Harry Potter, The Wee Man, etc.) my daughter wanted to start a project that she could hone her skills at. WW1 stories! The script is almost ready for the first short film, its about the 1914 Christmas Truce. I have built a trench in my back garden and have bought uniforms, helmets etc. I can post some pics on here? Not sure how to!

Now the idea is to contact relatives who have letters from the trenches from their relatives who were there. We will review and if selected we will re enact the stories in a short film.

The big finale will entail as many as I can get in a massive over the top scene. Anyone who has the correct kit can join in pay £10 to poppy appeal and we will film it all!

Anyway that's the plan! Watch this space for updates.

If anyone wants to help or wants more details email me Phil at info@bigbadugly.com

Helmet. Beard?

Greatcoat wrong as well. Not a very good start really!

hahaha I'm happy with the coat its the helmet!! The steel "Stahlhelm" never came in until 1916 so it wouldn't work for the 1914 Christmas truce scenes!

However.........

post-116297-0-55773400-1413483246_thumb.

Did they take selfies in 1914?

I say!

• 4 weeks later...

Had our first dress rehearsal Saturday....was a hoot!

Still got to finish the trench and sort out correct uniforms etc but was a really good start!

post-116297-0-55967400-1415624179_thumb.

post-116297-0-04633500-1415624470_thumb.

Did they take selfies in 1914?

Nearly choked on my sandwich :w00t:

Those photos are amazing.

Loved the selfies part, great stuff, would recommend getting rid of the British helmets too though.

Andy

• 3 months later...

Filming again this Saturday 28th Feb, 2015 doing an over the top scene where we walk towards a German machine gun nest and basically get wiped out. We have an Australian cast member who I've decided on seeing us copping it storms the nest armed just with his Webley MkVI revolver kills the crew and gets the VC.

Any idea who he's going to play?

Tonight Matthew I'm going to bee.,.......?

Answers on a postcard...

Phil

Each of the characters we play in our WW1 Stories series of small films are based on real people. This chap earned the VC at Broodseined part of the Passchendaele offensive on the 4th Oct 1917 but was killed 8 days later so received it posthumously.

Hello,

In all honesty, I think I just did a google search for old selfies as a joke. I didn't for the life of me expect there to be any.

Chris

Somebody tell me this is a wind-up.

I would, but I suspect I'd be lying.

This is all Good Stuff. Keep it up...

What a scream we had filming the weekend of 28th Feb.

The edited film will be ready soon and posted on youtube.

Here are a few snaps from the day....

Phil

post-116297-0-89418400-1425562786_thumb.post-116297-0-17205600-1425562914_thumb.post-116297-0-61308500-1425563001_thumb.

• 3 weeks later...