Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Film Institute Restores First World War Movie Epic

patrickw55

The British Film Institute National Archive has announced the world premiere of the newly restored British silent film - The Battles of Coronel and Falkland Islands. The BFI is planning to unveil the film as part of its London Film Festival Archive gala screening on the 16th October 2014 at the Southbank Centre’s Queen Elizabeth Hall in London. The film will also be shown in cinemas and released on DVD.

Read more about it at: http://www.illustratedfirstworldwar.com/bfi-restores-first-world-war-movie-epic/

post-115248-0-39316100-1411461514_thumb.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just arrived back home after attending the premiere at the Queen Elizabeth Hall. Absolutely stunning film, beautifully restored. The image quality is breathtaking.

The soundtrack, specially composed for the restored film was really excellent. An atmospheric and memorable score, faultlessly performed by the Band of The Royal Marines. A wonderful evening that I will remember for a long time. Anyone interested in the Royal Navy in the Great War should see this film which has a selected release in some cinemas, and will also be released on DVD.

Regards

Tocemma

DVD on the list methinks!

I'm looking forward to the release as well - it has to be.

Keith

Excellent news -looking forward to this.

I know that there have been plans to hold a centenary commemoration service for the Battle of Falklands in Canterbury- but details seem not to have been released.

• 2 months later...

Aha! Thanks Keith.

The DVD is cheaper via the Ancestry link. £14 with free postage.

Keith