Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ramparts Cemetery (Lille Gate) question

Aurel Sercu

I know (from Michael Scott (The Ypres Salient), probably based on the original CWGC registers, that Ramparts Cemetery (Lille Gate), Ypres, now is what is left of a larger cemetery, but that "many of the bodies [there] have been concentrated and only one section of graves now remains".

It is not that I want to know more about this, but actually I am interested in the "opposite" : Has anyone ever done research on a man who originally was buried elsewhere, and who later was taken to Ramparts Cemetery (Lille Gate) ?

This question relates to a Topic elsewhere on the Forum, where we wonder where a photo of a fallen soldier was taken (in other words, where he was (originally) buried). The problem is that the name is almost unreadable. Sapper C.G. Bent ? C.G. Bone ? If the latter, then he was taken to Lille Gate Cemetery after his death.

No need to go through the whole Topic (as it is more than 60 postings by now), but should you be interested ...

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=217237

Aurel

Only to say that since yesterday indeed I have learned about a couple of men who were killed at some distance, and (later) were taken to Ramparts Cemetery, Ypres,

So it was not that exceptional. I had always thought that the graves in Ramparts Cemetery (Lille Gate) were of men fallen (or DOW) nearby.

Aurel

Aurel,

Who are they?

With the additional material that Marjorie has turned up in the other thread, I'm in some doubt now about my original hypothesis in Post 20 and need some reassurance.

Phil

Put a few posts up tonight...well one edited and a map from deparju. I am wondering about Woods being buried in or near trench 27 a few weeks after Bones was buried - just kicking around stuff about the unmarked grave in the foreground of the photo - well marked by a cap only. But enough for tonight!

Aurel,

Who are they?

Phil

Phil,

The ones mentioned in Seaforths' (Marjorie's) Topic. ;)

(No additional ones.)

Aurel