Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

broderick cap

pol o frithil

any one out can they tell me when the broderick cap was in service in the british army especially attached to the royal irish fusiliers regiment. i have a photo of a man wearing one and trying to find out what age he was wearing it. i have been told 1904 to 1905 is that correct. if that is so then he was between 12 and 14 years old.

thanks,

pol

i have a photo of a man wearing one and trying to find out what age he was wearing it. i have been told 1904 to 1905 is that correct. if that is so then he was between 12 and 14 years old.

thanks,

pol

Could you post a scan of the photo?

Robbie

Official Issue '02 to '04. I have a picture of Irish Guards OR's still wearing it it 1910 but it was very unpopular. Retained by the RMLI until 1914.

DrB

;)

The "Forage Cap, New Pattern" or "Forage Cap, Universal" is the correct nomenclature for the Broderick Cap.

It was introduced in 1902. It was still in inventory as late as 1907 and was worn as late as that date. Although, by 1907 it's use was getting rare having been supplanted by the Service Dress cap and another version of Forage cap with a peak.

Joe Sweeney

• 3 years later...
The "Forage Cap, New Pattern" or "Forage Cap, Universal" is the correct nomenclature for the Broderick Cap.

It was introduced in 1902. It was still in inventory as late as 1907 and was worn as late as that date. Although, by 1907 it's use was getting rare having been supplanted by the Service Dress cap and another version of Forage cap with a peak.

Joe Sweeney

Joe, an interesting photo with an odd cap has been posted on the SMH forum here:

http://www.militaryhorse.org/forum/viewtop...p?p=77820#77820

Does this depict a Broderick Cap?