Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The British Medical Journal 1914-1923

Skipman

Here is treasure trove of information Download to your HD, fully searchable. No doubt 1913, 1920,1921 etc are available also?

The British Medical Journal 1914 1919

1914 Volume 1 245.7 M

1914 Volume 2 176.1 M

1915 Volume 1 178.6 M

1916 Volume 1 119.8 M

1916 Volume 2 175.1 M

1917 Volume 1 122.7 M

1917 Volume 2 116.6 M

1919 Volume 1 114.4 M

1919 Volume 2 125.9 M

Mike

Mike,

What a great find - thank you!

All credit to archive.org, and the folk who scan/upload etc.

I see from your signature that this will be right up your street :thumbsup: There's an incredible amount of information in there.

Mike

Thanks Mike - it used to be searchable on the BMJ website, but a year or two back became subscription only, so this is really helpful, though will take a bit more negotiating to search. I'll send you a tin of 1914-2014 Trench Toffee.

Sue

...will take a bit more negotiating to search. Just for anyone who doesn't know. Right click on the "PDF" download options. - Save link as (a document on your hard drive) Then open document, then press Ctrl + F and add any search term in the search box.

I'll send you a tin of 1914-2014 Trench Toffee. Yum! Look forward to that. Mike

Sue

If you want to fork out £80 or so a year, you can search via the BMJ site over the whole archive with one search term - so for instance will bring up anything in the whole career of a particular doctor, or many articles on one illness. But beggars don't have that many choices :(

Sue

I'll send you a tin of 1914-2014 Trench Toffee.

Sue

How come I'm never promised a tin of 1914-2014 Trench Toffee? Although I'd most probably need a set of commemorative 1914-2014 false Trench Teeth afterwards. :o

Mike,

What a brilliant resource. The details of Doctors killed, wounded and taken prisoner are very useful. I also noted there are details of Doctors children who were killed. Great stuff!

Regards,

Alf McM

How come I'm never promised a tin of 1914-2014 Trench Toffee? Although I'd most probably need a set of commemorative 1914-2014 false Trench Teeth afterwards. :o

Of course you can have some - just let me know whether you'd prefer the 'Jaw Breaker' or the 'Tooth Puller' variety.

Sue

Hopefully as time goes on more editions will be online as it's very useful for the later obituaries which so often give an account of Great War work.

I've now downloaded them all to my kindle devices. All searchable and can take them with me anywhere. Awesome! Goodbye, I may be gone some time......

I've now downloaded them all to my kindle devices. All searchable and can take them with me anywhere. Awesome! Goodbye, I may be gone some time......

Have you worked out how to rename them in order to add the year. Mine all come up as BMJ but there doesn't seem a way of adding a year on the Kindle for PC library version.

Sue

Have you worked out how to rename them in order to add the year. Mine all come up as BMJ but there doesn't seem a way of adding a year on the Kindle for PC library version.

Sue

No Sue. I didn't think it was possible to rename books in your Kindle library but apparently it is using free software

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_7397683_rename-kindle-e_books.html

Haven't tried it yet but will take a look. Mine are all showing as British Medical Journal on all devices - no dates, until I open them.

The British Medical Journal, all years to 2008, is also available online through PMC (“PMC is a free full-text archive of biomedical and life sciences journal literature at the U.S. National Institutes of Health's National Library of Medicine (NIH/NLM).”)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/journals/3/

I have not used this source for some years, when the Journal was freely available through the BMJ website. I seem to remember the search facility was much better through the BMJ website, but a permanent URL to a specific item was better through the PMC website.

Cheers

Maureen

Thanks Maureene - it's good to be able to browse through the pages in their original form, edition by edition

Sue