Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DSO london gazette 20 July 1917, rule of thumb when won?

garfyboy

Hi folks

I am researching one Stuart Campbell Taylor DSO of whom I have a original photograph of.

Stuart Dow 11october 1918, his dso was mentioned in the London gazette 20 July 1917, it is mentioned in the war diary on the 8th June 1917 but which date can I roughly pin it to?

Is the general rule of thumb 3 months, 6months?

Stuart was brigadier general at the time of his death and was once commanding officer of the 15th west yorks-1st Leeds pals so a pretty interesting chap to research

Ps: I do have the war diary at hand but it is not obvious where he won his dso

Cheers Graeme, where do you keep on finding these articles ??

Hi

I spend far too much time sat in front of this bloomin' thing !!!

The LG list were offered fee not too long ago by the NA and give dates and citations for most MC and DSOs. Not many people seem to have taken advantage of it.

Regards,

Graeme

Didn't know that, thanks again

Cheers spof, much appreciated

• 1 month later...

This is my first post and I am already seeking help with a research project!

I am trying to find details regarding the awards to Lieutenant Colonel George vere Taylor DSO OBE MC whop served with 16 Bn Rifle brigade in World War One. I have followed the links that are kindly provided on this Forum but am getting lost in the detail! I have found an MC Card but can not locate the citations for his medals. The London Gaxette entries are: DSO - LG supplement 3rd June 1919, MC - LG supplement date 1 January 1918 and OBE was postwar and I can find no details at all for this.

I very much want to learn how to do this myself but there is so much ionformation aroumnd and I have to admit to being very confused.

Regards - Stu

Captain & Adjutant of the 16th in the latter stages of the war. Will have a check for you but think the M.C. was new years honours list and the DSO Kings Birthday honours list hence no citations. RB records also show 2 Mentions in Despatches.

Andy

Thanks Andy - I appreciate you help. Is it usual for a serving officer to receive his MC as a Birthday Honour? I know he earned his OBE as the AA&QMG in Iraq seconded to RAF HQ but no citation or details and if it was again Birthday Honours that explains why.