Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

14 Pattern Equipment-nearly there

mark holden

I am progressing slowly to completing a set of 14 Patt Equipment. Its been a painful and costly process particularly the ammo pouches which have been a learning process staggering from linesman's poches to high quality copies. Just need a single brace, entrenching tool cover and large pack. The hunt goes on!

regards

Mark

Closer view

Waterbottle date

Helve Holder date and sold out of service mark

Brace(cross strap) date and indistinct maker

post-11424-0-51343900-1401111603_thumb.j

post-11424-0-40685000-1401111657_thumb.j

post-11424-0-70985500-1401111698_thumb.j

post-11424-0-73378900-1401111751_thumb.j

post-11424-0-22147400-1401111797_thumb.j

Thanks GT

Bayonet goes in the scabbard the other way round by the way... :thumbsup:

Thanks Andrew!

Mark

I know how you feel. I have been looking for a pair of braces and an ammo pouch for what seems years to complete my set!!

Tanks3

10/10 if no other reason than sticking with it to get this far! Well done.

David

I only knew RH Long made US helmet liners. Interesting they made kit for us before the US entered the war. Regards, Paul.

Excellent stuff -- colour me green. Great job putting this together.

Chris

I only knew RH Long made US helmet liners. Interesting they made kit for us before the US entered the war. Regards, Paul.

I think the fact that they were producing the leather equipment in 1914 was because the British manufacturers could not cope with the sudden and massive demands for sets of leather equipment which in turn was brought on by the inability of the webbing suppliers to produce sufficient sets at such short notice. As a result, supplies were sought from where ever they could be found until such time as webbing suppliers could cope. I'm not sure they ever did fully, which is why leather was in service throughout most of the war.

David

Many thanks to all who replied with encouraging words.

regards

Mark

• 5 weeks later...

Finally got myself a P14 bayonet frog. Not uncommon but quickly snapped up these days. Interestingly RH Long 1915. Even the dealer did not recognise the mark. It is good quality and better than other US made examples.

TT

• 2 weeks later...

Mark

I know how you feel. I have been looking for a pair of braces and an ammo pouch for what seems years to complete my set!!

Tanks3

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-1914-British-WW1-Rippled-Leather-Ammunition-Ammo-Cartridge-Carrier-Pouch-/311002112801

getting pricey but here's one on its own?

Wulfrik

Yes I saw this but it is the wrong type of ammo pouch. I am looking for the one to the pistol set rather than the infantry rifle set. Still went for a goodly price though

Tanks3

tanks3 me too...been after one for years. Have one but the belt / brace attachment has been cut off, a common practice.

TT

Tanks3

I believe in leaving things be. It was cut down by the original owner for a specific purpose and as such is part of its history. I have a 14 pattern belt with one rear strap cut off too. Possibly both were items worn by tank crew?

TT

Tremendous effort Mark, your dedication to your goal is to be admired, if you don't mind me asking, can you estimate how long this odyssey has taken you so far ?

khaki

As you say, when one finds a revolver ammunition pouch it frequently has the brace attachment cut away. I doubt whether this was done in service, but rather if it saw service in Ireland with the Police and Auxiliaries. However there are contemporary photos of pistol sets being worn with one rifle pouch instead. I think that the revolver ammunition pouches were perhaps always in short supply and not much use anyway; the rifle pouch seems a more useful option as you could carry cleaning kit as well as the ammunition. Cheers - SW

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Sold out of Service mark found on Pattern 14 leather equipment.? I note the mark stamped on the helve carrier shown above.

Is it very common to see the Sale mark stamped, and would this have been routinely done when this was taken out of service, or does it indicate sale for Colonial use.?

Cheers, S>S

Don't know about sold out of service marks, although Karkee might know, but although most Patt. '14 equipment was withdrawn from service with regular units in 1921, and placed into surplus stores to be 'dealt with' by RAOC, and so sold or transferred for colonial use after then, Patt '14 frogs were kept by the Household cavalry, and also issued to RAOC and RASC units, regular and TF, and so would have continued with them for a few years more.

While sold into colonies may be true, it is an absolute certainty that a lot of it went to school cadet forces and university OTCs. I've had many pieces marked as such, yet none I can recall marked showing colonial use.

Mark got the pouches in his first post from me, and one of them is very clearly marked to an OTC under the flap.

Cheers,

GT.

Thanks GT. Do you recall if the surplussed OTC items were stamped with the Sale mark.? Have you seen the Sale mark a lot on the Patt.14 equipment.?

I am just trying to understand in what circumstances they would have been stamped. My P14 frog has the mark, found with an Aussie hookie and scabbard.

I don't even know if the Aussies ever got any Patt.14 but this set certainly raises some questions. A mint pre-war issue hookie and scabbard with a P14 frog.? :huh:

Cheers, S>S

Can you tell me how much it weighs (with and without the pack)? And does anyone know how much the equivalent German kit weighed? Would be very grateful for precise figures.

Patt '14 frogs were kept by the Household cavalry, and also issued to RAOC and RASC units, regular and TF, and so would have continued with them for a few years more.

That said, the presence of a helve strap on yours would suggest it went out of service before September 1923...