Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Munitions Factory Worker

Ivor

Whilst my Great Grandfather was away fighting on the Western Front my Great Grandmother worked in a Munitions Factory near Lancaster and as a family story goes helped to capture a female German spy also working there (how true this is I don't know).

Can anyone help me?

1) Do you know where I can find records relating to those who worked in Munitions Factories and the sort of work they did? And

2) Where can I search to I find out if the story r.e. the spy, is true?

Thanks,

Ivor

Edited by Ivor

Ivor,

I don't know where the records might be but you might get some background information in ' All Quiet on the Home Front ' by Richard van Emden and Steve Humphries ISBN0-7553-1188-4

Aye

Malcolm

Ivor

The History of the Ministry of Munitions, which runs to several volumes. may well give you a clue as to which factory it was. There is a complete set in the National Archives library at Kew. It wont help you with the spy story however. Assuming the story is true, it is possible that it appeared in local newspapers.

Terry Reeves

You could also try the education department at the Royal Armouries, Leeds. I know they have a lot of information on the munitions industry (much of it on Leeds) and they are very helpfull people.

John

Ivor,

The munitions factory was probably White Lund, between Lancaster and Morecambe. Contact the reference department of Lancaster library with your query. I have found them most helpful in the past. Good luck with your quest.

Fred W

My Uncle Fred (No relation to Fred W!) worked at the Munitions Factory (Called ROF - Royal Ordnance Factory) at Euxton, Lancs in WW2. His claim to fame was that one day the foreman said "Fred, when you come in tomorrow, bring enough supplies to stay here for several days". It turned out to be a hush hush job - the filling of the Dambusters` bouncing bombs. It sounded highly technical, but when I asked how it was done, he said "With a wooden shovel", and they weren`t allowed out till all were done. Just thought you`d be interested! .... I`ll get my coat!

Phil B

Thanks everyone for your help, it has given me an idea of where to start looking.

I am told by my mother that the Munitions Factory was at the junction of the A6 from Nether Kellet with the Lancaster/Halton Road at Skerton for those who know the area. I believe the site may then have become a holiday camp at some time, probably years, after the end of the war.

Ivor, its a fair probability your grandmother had one of these badges (see attached). Now on the back is a number which presumably relates to something which hopefully a chum will enlighten us upon?? perhaps somewhere is a roll or it relates to a service record etc.