Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Buss Cemetery

rolt968

Can anyone tell me if there was/is a Buss Cemetery in France?

Pte Frank Silver (1/6 Gordon Highlanders) is buried in Lebucquire Communal Cemetery Extension (CWGC). However the inscription on the family gravestone in Fettercairn Cemetery says he was buried in "Buss Cemetery". The inscription was probably made between his death (22/11/1917) and the inscription of his father's death in 1918, probably at the same time.

I notice that a lot of burials were moved into Lebucquire.

R

Rolt,

I can see a place called Bus at Sheet 57c.O.24.c. It is due South of Lebucquieere

This map on McMasters.

On the modern map, it is where the D19 bends between Rocquigny and Bertincourt.

Phil

Rolt

The body density map for 57C does not indicate a cemetery at Bus but it does indicate 3 registered burials in O23 d and 4 in the adjacent square O29 b. both are just outside Bus and could be the communal cemetery. The White Cross Atlas does not show a cemetery at Bus but does indicate Bus German Cemetery at Lagincourt at C24 c. but since your man died of wounds then a German cemetery may be irrelevant.

Peter

Thank you both!

It begins to look as if his grave was moved.

He was wounded on 20 November 1917 (War Diary of 6GH has a full list of casualties).

According to probate he died in a "military hospital in France" on 22 November.

I wonder how his family found out where he was buried by 1918 or early 1919.

Also when the grave was moved.

R

...I wonder how his family found out where he was buried by 1918 or early 1919...

They'll probably have received an Army Form B.104-121 (such as the example illustrated below - in this example, to a soldier killed on 3rd May 1917, burial details sent 7th Nov 1917) giving the details...

Dave

post-357-0-68100200-1399985549_thumb.jpg

Thank you!

I don't think I have seen one of those. (At least a British one. I think I have seen a Canadian equivalent.)

R