Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

High Wood parking

Canny Steve

I'm having to cannibalise Paul Reed's Walking the Somme book as I don't think my youngest is up to the lengths of the some of the walks yet. One of the walks, High Wood, starts in Bazentin la Petit. I'm keen to walk around High Wood but can't see where to park close to it. The London Cemetery only seems to have a muddy track next to it looking on Google. Can anyone recommend anywhere close to park for a walk all the way round?

I posted a not dissimilar enquiry in 2011 regarding coach parking for my impending school battlefields tour to the Somme. Blowed if I can find it, even though it is referred to on another thread I did locate. We didn't try to park the coach at the wood in the end, but I seem to recall that one of the roads/tracks at the side has an area where you could leave a vehicle. Someone will no doubt give chapter and verse.

I always park up the track past the Cameron Memorial. Driving down the main road from Martinpuich with the London Cemetery on your right take the first left, then up the track (fine for cars), memorial on your left halfway up. At the top on the edge of the wood there is space to park. You can then complete a full walk around the wood in whatever direction you choose. On the main road is the Cemetery, Highland Cairn and a tree planted to commemorate the Public Schools Bn. I love it there.

post-100478-0-04590400-1394897668_thumb.

I've gone up the track with the google car but can't seem to find that memorial, is it set further back from the corner?

On the satellite view it is three-quarters along the (lower) east side of the wood next to the remains of the old water-filled double mine crater from early September 1916.

Steve.

Ah yes I must have zoomed straight past it last time, its looks a little tight to park there though?

Just thinking I don't want to block the path for others or tractors. How long roughly does it take to walk around the wood? Sorry so many questions

Just re-read Ghazala's post he's parking at the corner where I thought the memorial was, make's a lot more sense now

If you are just in a car (or anything less than a coach) then there is sufficient space in front of London Cemetery - it is on gravel and hasn't been muddy when we have been there. We parked there and walked round last year.

Steve.

Thanks again, with google you can't really gauge it, thats where i'll dump the car then, just didn't want it blocking anyone else. Or worse getting stuck! How long did it take you to get round?

Thanks again, with google you can't really gauge it, thats where i'll dump the car then, just didn't want it blocking anyone else. Or worse getting stuck! How long did it take you to get round?

we walked around the wood in about 1 hour - but we kept stopping to work out the lay of the land & where the fighting was happening to and from!! we could have done it in half the time without stops.

we parked outside London road cemetery on the gravel

With a car best parking would be outside London Cemetery Steve. An hour is plenty of time, longer if you are spending time in the Cemetery. A few things to look for on your way round...

post-100478-0-17459500-1394914040_thumb.

post-100478-0-29191700-1394914050_thumb.

post-100478-0-87921800-1394914060_thumb.

post-100478-0-93746200-1394914156_thumb.

post-100478-0-93959600-1394914283_thumb.

Thank you guys, London cemetery for parking it is. Some lovely pictures there, I imagine with all that to see it will take some time to get round, shall be adding longer to the itinerary for this now, thanks for all the help. Just hope the sun is shining like this next month.