The Great War Dawning

Chris_Baker

The Great War Dawning
Germany and its Army at the start of World War 1
by Frank Buchholz, Joe Robinson and Janet Robinson
published by Verlag Militaria, 2014
ISBN 978 3 902526 65 6
cover price - not stated
Hardback, 532pp. Illustrated with colour and B&W plates, two large fold-out maps.

This book can be obtained direct from the publishers at http://www.militaria.at/Book.aspx?book=2277660&Language=en

What a terrific book this is. A wonderful, weighty, reference work that will become indispensable for anyone interested in the orders of battle, organisation, methods, doctrine and background to the formidable armies of the Kaiser's Reich in 1914.

Many readers will be familiar with the work of Jack Sheldon, a British historian and former army officer who has written several outstanding books looking at the Great War from the German side. Jack is a member of this Forum, too. He wrote an introduction to "Great War Dawning" which quite rightly highlighted the fact that British historians, authors and students have all to often examined the war without looking too closely at the enemy. This is perhaps not too surprising in that German source materials can be difficult to find and in most cases the regimental histories and memoirs only appear in the native language (and usually printed in difficult script). It has just been too hard for most. But things are changing, and "Great War Dawning" is a key example. It draws upon incredibly deep and detailed research and analysis and presents, in English, a fact-filled treasure trove of information.

The book covers the historical background to the German Reich and how its resultant constitution and laws had important roles in shaping the armies. The military background of each of the states and provinces that eventually made up the modern Germany is explored in detail. It then goes on to examine the social and political background to the Reich and the part the army played. We have sections on national service, training and the activities of the army in peacetime; and the organisation of the active and reserve army, across all arms.

Perhaps for most military historians it will be the sections on doctrine, training, war plans, mobilisation and how this all unfolded in the early weeks of the war which will be of most interest. It explains much and presents to us a thorough view of those cataclysmic battles of 1914; it also shows how issues of leadership and logistics were or were not identified and put Germany on a path of organisational and doctrinal development that played a central role in German prosecution of the war up to 1918. Personally I learned so much from this book that I did not know before, or was able to clarify what I had only dimly understood.

As a readable work and as a reference, I can not rate "Great War Dawning" more highly.

Chris,

Your kind words are clearly not deserved but thank you very much for that. As a little background this entire project started because of the comments of Terrence Zuber concerning the involvement of the British forces at Mons. We entirely disagreed with Zuber’s description of training and doctrine of the German forces. We did not get much of an answer about that but rather criticism for having taught at the American War College. So I think this sets all of that straight. It is heavily footnoted to the German sources.

I know I am biased but the book turned out absolutely beautiful. At 4 1/2 American pounds if I threw it at you it would certainly make an impression! 80 pages of pictures – foldout maps – hardcover – absolutely beautiful and he held it at about half the cost of his normal books. And it is only in English. Currently it is on American Amazon and I expect Verlag-Militaria USA to establish a web presence this week. Ordering from Europe is fairly easy.

I am most interested Chris in what you thought of the cavalry comments in chapter 17. This actually ties directly to the next book about Halen. English-language publications seem to focus on events after 23 August and Mons. I hope we have laid out our problems concept in English as we had intended.

Thanks again

VR

Joe

Trust me, if it was not deserved I would not have said it! I'll go and read the cavalry chapters again - back asap.

And of course - now it is obvious to all - I should also have said Joe Robinson is also a member of the Forum!

Joe,

I am glad to hear that all the troubles you had were resolved finally!

Congratulations!

Matt

Matt,

Is this Hoffman?? If so I have a book for you. Can you confirm that and your mailing address?

V/R

Joe

Matt,

Is this Hoffman?? If so I have a book for you. Can you confirm that and your mailing address?

V/R

Joe

Oh yes, it's me. I sent you a PM.

Chris beat me to the punch with his review, and like me I'll bet he hasn't read many of its 500 plus pages before rushing into a passionate review. But he is absolutely right. This is a fantastic piece of work from start to finish from a very serious and committed Austrian publisher. Without any doubt what so ever this is 'the' work of reference on the German Army of 1914, the nation, it's constitution and absolutely every thing. If you are interested in the German army you slimy cannot afford not to get a copy. Not simply book of the year , so far book of the century. Over the top, moi?. Maybe, but only slightly

Surely we do not deserve such praise. A group of amateurs nudged more than once by Jack Sheldon he kept us as an American would say "between the navigational beacons". Thank you for all this.

For those tempted, it's €59.90 plus €17.00 postage to the UK and EU, which is approx £65 overall.

I may have to eat my hat shortly. This book along with two others recently reviewed or previewed is clearly going to be another must have, leaving the populist publishers far behind. I have been very sceptical about volumes that are appearing at this time, but along with Haig's Intelligence, and the new volume of Edmonds memoirs we have some genuinely important books appearing.

Keith

I have ordered 'Great War Dawning' and have put my name down for the Edmonds' memoirs. I'm thinking about 'Haig's Intelligence' What I definitely must do is start being much more selective in purchasing, and not just leap on everything - *yeah, right, like THAT'S going to happen* (Smiley face here)

My copy arrived this morning. The postman is now able to walk upright again. Seriously, the photographs appear to be a fascinating selection. All I need now is to find a few quiet days so that I can address the book seriously.

Keith

Good news, mine should be here shortly.

My copy arrived today - Germany's Western Front 1914 pt 1 arrived on Saturday - Tom Morgan's Edmonds book ordered - Haig's Intelligence ordered....

Had to promise not to buy any more books for a while....

Keith keeps stalling! I have to admit it made me smile. Rather a weighty item to approach! :hypocrite:

I will surely get there. Right now I am between meetings involving some local community matters, and preparation for our conference next weekend. I have a whole shelf and a half of books awaiting my attention. I have just started on Margaret MacMillan's book on the beginning of the war, then it will be Dawning, followed by the Carswell biography of Sir Henry Wilson, and then Edmonds. I'll be back in the summer. Unfortunately I might pick up a few more titles at conference.

I have told the sons that there may not be much money left when my time comes, but that there will be a lot of reading for them.

Keith

Edited by Keith Roberts
typo corrected

I missed the postman last Friday so did not get my hands on the book till Monday.

Thank you to the three of you for this great book.

Great! I'm glad you found something useful in there. I think the real goal was to make people think and clear up a few misconceptions. I am not so sure that the Zuber school will be as smitten.

• 2 weeks later...

This is complete bragging. I am at the society for military history convention. I met the American senior ambassador of military history himself Dennis Showalter. When he found out that I was the author of the book he lit up like a Christmas tree and said You are THAT Robinson! He then continued on to praise the book and in fact came back two times to discuss portions of it. Clearly we did not deserve this and we are honored.

Not simply book of the year , so far book of the century. Over the top, moi?. Maybe, but only slightly

When I saw the title of this thread my first thought was 'ugh, what on earth could anyone possibly add to that conversation.' But I'll read any review CB posts and now I'm about to go troll Amazon and perhaps order a weighty tome.

Mr. Robinson, forgive me if I misquote Morgenstern (Princess Bride) but perhaps you don't understand the meaning of the phrase "Clearly we did not deserve" and congratulations on such praise.

Thanks Ken. You actually might find it cheaper from the publisher than Amazon.

• 3 weeks later...

Review by PJA

THE GREAT WAR DAWNING

Germany and its Army at the Start of World War I

Franz Bucholz – Joe Robinson – Janet Robinson

A review by Phil Andrade

This is a book of heroic scope. It combines the immensity of a general survey of a nation and its people with intricate and detailed analysis of the German Army. It works.

Its historiographical impact is bound to be very significant. Hitherto Terence Zuber has been the iconoclast when it comes to the traditional view of the opening battles of 1914 as presented by the British Official Historian, James Edmonds. This must now be reconsidered in the light of what the Robinson – Bucholz triumvirate has presented. Here is a compelling account of the “severe systemic cracks” in the German Army that resulted in the Miracle of the Marne. And what better endorsement could there be than a foreword by Jack Sheldon ?

Anyone who seeks to understand what Imperial Germany actually was in 1914 – and whence it came – will find the first section of the book informative and rewarding. The provenance of the nation is described as “ a divergent patchwork of cultures”. This does not deter the survey from exploring all aspects of society with a special eye for detail that certainly works well. Here, for example, is one such observation :

There was one disturbing trend among secondary students. Two per cent of rural students from the Volksschule were near sighted and wore glasses. Urban Volksschule students were from four to nine per cent myopic.

It comes as no surprise to read that the entire school system was designed to prepare the best and brightest for service in the Army ….what is conveyed with considerable impact is something more nuanced :

The real purpose of these societies was to impress the aristocratic code of honor into the educational system and the sons of the rich bourgeoisie. The intent was to bind the future middle-class to the pre-industrial aristocratic ruling groups.

Might it be that this imparted something dangerously Quixotic to societal aspirations ? If so, it was certainly evident in the composition and conduct of the Army, especially in the Cavalry, where its effect would prove most pernicious.

The array of detail presented in the analysis of the Army is enough to make the head of the general reader spin. Here, for example, is a rendition of the fighting baggage of a cavalry regiment : 58 replacement horses ; two medical aid horses; two bridge wagons with two steel pontoons and four bridge elements ( four meters long and one meter wide) each. This equipment could build either a small footbridge of 1 meter width and 20 meters length ; a small bridge, 2 meters wide and 12 meters long ; a wide bridge of 3 meters and 8 meters length, or a pontoon ferry of about 16 sq m ; each bridge wagon also carried 32 demolition charges also to destroy bridges ; one telegraph wagon carrying up to 15 km of field telephone line plus 350 meters of water- proof telephone line ; and in addition, each regiment had two communications detachments….

This attention to detail reflects the military experience and expertise of the authors and is a necessary and valid part of the narrative. It certainly does not detract from the discussion of the more general themes of military doctrine, and the controversial problems that resulted in a “disconnect” between requirements and resources. The conflict of Normaltaktiker convention and Aufragstaktic mission type command is brought to the fore. Those “systemic cracks” that brought about denouement at the Marne are analysed and explained, both in cause and effect. It was in the Cavalry, above all, that these flaws were most extant and were to be so crucial in preventing the Germans from exploiting their massive military potential properly. A lamentably insufficient deployment of cavalry on the right wing was to be of inestimable importance in determining the outcome :

The planning, structure and training of the HKK was such an obvious flaw as to be almost unbelievable……the third crack, the lack of a functioning higher cavalry organisation, seems absolutely dumbfounding.

As a tour de force, this book is magnificent, even if the detailed depiction of German Army structure can be rather daunting for the layman.

Rest assured, Reader, that there is an exquisite touch of humanity in the story that lends it “that extra something”. The opening section of the book, describing the multiplicity of states, kingdoms and dukedoms, alludes to the hugely fat Friedrich I, King of Wurttemberg, 1805-16, of whom Napoleon is supposed to have said that

God had created the Prince to demonstrate the utmost extent to which human skin could be stretched without bursting……This reviewer admits that he feared his own sides would split when he read that !

Regarding the class distinction that so permeated the Officer Corps, especially in the Cavalry, the statement that if anyone wanted to have a successful party, a cavalry officer was highly sought after serves as a reminder of just how deeply rooted this syndrome was. A wife’s background might prevent an officer from taking her to any formal events…Perhaps this exclusion contributed to the rarity of smiles on German brides in their wedding pictures.

The photographs in the book are a triumph in themselves. They conform superbly to the themes of the narrative. One, in particular, reaches out . It shows Uhlans leaving their barracks during mobilisation. They and their horses are armed and equipped and make an imposing sight. In front of them are three children. Not one of them is wearing shoes. A picture worth a thousand words, in a book worthy of great praise.