Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Engineers Officer

researchingreg

Me too thinks he's not RE,the badge has "spiky bits" (just like the ASC badge) and the RE is smoother round,said he technically.

My Fathers Cousin Lt.Herbert James King was in the Royal Engineers. I have found his MIC and I know it is him as it has his Enfield address on it. I have been looking through the family photo album and I thought this was him but I could be wrong. I have a photo of him with a fellow officer who looks like he is in the Royal Engineers. Could anyone say if this is right? I do not have his WO374 as they are not on-line (I believe that 86% of WW1 R.E. Officers Service records have survived according to the RE Museum site).See attached:

post-98977-0-98548600-1393964230_thumb.j

post-98977-0-22109000-1393964292_thumb.j

There is a service file for 2/Lt H J KING at Kew in WO374/39690.

Sotomate.

Thanks for the information. I will look it up next time I am in Kew. It could be him. However on his MIC I don't know whether it means he was a 2/Lt then a Lieut. Or remained a 2/Lt?

He was a Lieutenant. The second entry on the MIC shows the highest rank reached at the end of the war. I don't think the two officers pictured are RE. Not only do the cap badges look too small, but the collar badges don't seem right. RE Officers wore a flaming grenade on their tunics

I could be completely wrong, but I have a feeling they may be cavalry officers.

TR

Terry

I think you are right. It is a bit of a problem matching people up in a 100 year old family photo album.I think neither of them are Herbert King now but are other family members. Thanks for the help.

• 2 months later...
Guest Anthony Yannaghas

post-94258-0-76376500-1400708361_thumb.j

As Herbert's Great-grandson I can confirm that the photograph is not him, but I here is one of him which shows the engineer's grenades on his lapels. I am sorry it is slightly blurred, but it is behind glass and doesn't scan too well. Although I remember him extremely well, he talked little about it to his family. What we do know is that he was mounted but chose not to ride his horse and walk with his fellow men. He was very badly injured with shrapnel wounds to his legs and ended up in hospital in Amiens. He was considered not to have much chance of recovering so his wife was allowed to visit him in Amiens. He managed to recover but had a limp for the remainder of his life. I remember his walking stick too!

If you have any information you are willing to share I would love to know more and looks like a race down to Kew, although then can copy any documents now and post them to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Anthony, Welcome to the Forum.

Thanks for the picture and info. He was only married 6 weeks before he arrived in France on 1 Aug 1916. Bert as we knew him was my fathers first cousin, as he was the son of Jesse my Grandfather William's brother. Do you know what he got his OBE for?

Perhaps you can send me a PM.

Geoff