Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

jp1885

Just one more before Christmas - my great aunt's future husband, William Thomas Clark (1891 - 1930)

Am I right in thinking his attestation record says 'No.1 light Horse Regiment'?

Also, would the pay book number 70505 be his service number?

Thanks in advance, and a merry Christmas to you all!

post-97067-0-50178500-1387875712_thumb.j

Hi

His Service Number was 30 as shown on the left.

Greg

Oops. And yes 1st Light Horse Regiment.

Ah, thanks Greg!

Edit: just seen your edit - thanks again. Gives me something to go on when I get my teeth into this in the new year!

Edited by jp1885

JP,

His embarkation roll entry is here-

http://static.awm.gov.au/collection/images/large/RCDIG1067092/RCDIG1067092--211-.JPG

Out of interest, did he or his family have any connections to the Scottish Horse? I ask as I recently researched another Scotsman who worked for the Home Affairs Department just before the war started.

Scott

Hi Scott, thanks for the link - more grist for the mill!

I don't know much about William's family history yet, but will let you know if I find any connection to the Scottish Horse.

Thanks JP.

It would be worth acquainting yourself with the NLA Trove digitised newspapers, particularly the Canberra and Queanbeyan papers.

I suspect that William Thomas Clark from Duntroon was a cyclist-

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/printArticleJpg/31394297/3?print=n

There is a fair bit of information about him here as well-

http://www.memorial.act.gov.au/person.php?id=2921

Scott

I trust you all had a good Christmas :)

According one of the links so kindly found by Scott, "He served on Gallipoli from May to July 1915 with the 1st Light Horse Regiment but was evacuated to England with appendicitis. He arrived in France in January 1917 with the 4th Division Ammunition Column and was later appointed to the rank of Sergeant."

So I've found a possible medal card - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D6144526 - rank of Corporal Lance Serjeant. Is this the same chap do you think?

Additionally, is it nigh impossible to find out where in England he was evacuated to? I Suspect that's where he met my great aunt as I've found a newspaper article describing their wedding and how they met when he was in the AIF.

Hi,

His service record (Page 8 et al as per Post # 1) says that he was admitted to the Military Hospital Bethnal Green on 26Aug1915.

Greg

Hi,

His service record (Page 8 et al as per Post # 1) says that he was admitted to the Military Hospital Bethnal Green on 26Aug1915.

Greg

*slaps forehead* how could I have missed that? Thanks Greg!

• 1 month later...

Coming back to this gentleman after a break.

Looking at his s ice record, there are some points I'd like clarified if someone would be so kind...

His record states that after falling ill while in the 1st Australian Light Horse, he was evacuated to England. Later he was at the Australian camp at Weymouth, and then lined up for transfer thus:-

25/03/16 '27th draft returning to join MEB' - what was the 27th draft and what did MEB stand for?

15/05/16 'trans to artillery detail' to Egypt.

12/06/16 'disembarked at plymouth'

08/01/17 'RBAA proc overseas to France' - what does RBAA stand for, and any ideas what he would have been doing in England and where?

09/01/17 'ACBD M/I ex England' - what does this mean?

26/01/17 '4th DAC TOS' I know this means 4th Divisional Ammunition Column, but what does TOS stand for?

Finally, family lore has it that he met my great aunt at Salisbury Plain (I'm working on the assumption that she was a QMAAC or somesuch), would it be possible to pin down when/if he was on Salisbury Plain?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions!

• 3 weeks later...

William Thomas Clark is my grandfathers brother. My fathers uncle. At this moment I can furnish you with this quick information;

Father: Edward Kennedy CLARK b: 1858 in Buckland River, VIC farmer

Mother: Ellen Elizabeth WEBSTER b: 1864 in Yass, NSW

Children of Ellen Elizabeth WEBSTER and Edward Kennedy CLARK are:

i.

Edith E. CLARK was born 1883 in Yass, NSW, and died 18 Sep 1918 in Queanbeyan, NSW.

ii.

Edward Arthur CLARK was born 1885 in Yass, NSW, and died 31 May 1940 in Queanbeyan, NSW. He married Mary Jane BLEWITT 1911 in Queanbeyan, NSW, daughter of Thomas Henry BLEWITT and Adelaide Amelia Jane GIBBS. She was born 1882 in Royalla near Queanbeyan, NSW, and died 10 Oct 1966 in Queanbeyan, NSW.

iii.

Ruby Maud CLARK was born 1888 in Yass, NSW, and died 11 Oct 1974 in Queanbeyan, NSW. She married John William GRIFFITHS 1911 in Queanbeyan, NSW, son of Stephen GRIFFITHS and Martha SMITH. He was born 31 Dec 1884 in Queanbeyan, NSW, and died 11 Apr 1955 in Queanbeyan, NSW.

iv.

William Thomas CLARK was born 1891 in Yass, NSW, and died 19 Feb 1930 in Bombala, NSW.

v.

Donald Eric CLARK was born 16 Feb 1901 in Queanbeyan, NSW, and died 20 Jul 1956 in Auburn, NSW. He married Margaret F. MCGRATH 1927 in Goulburn, NSW, daughter of Bernard MCGRATH and Mary Ann WILLIAMS. She was born 1909 in Braidwood, NSW.

Summary;

• Name: William Thomas CLARK
  • Given Name: William Thomas
  • Surname: Clark
  • Sex: M
  • Birth: 1891 in Yass, NSW 1
  • Death: 19 Feb 1930 in Bombala, NSW 2
  • Burial: Queanbeyan Riverside Cemetery, NSW

the following website is where the above information was obtained - Contact: Monaro Pioneers Project - I keep it close to by as a reference.

You will notice that the above information does not note his wife as it notes the partners of the other siblings. I have no information regarding his marriage??

as I do the others.

William and his wife, dad is not sure of his wife's name, he was 2 years old when the accident occurred - had a son called Marsden Bloomfield Clark.

I have attached the reporting of the accident from the newspaper.

Army career - yes he was in the Light Horse, I do have paperwork on this but think you may have had the link to view it.

From what I have learnt - he held his own in a battle - sorry forgot the name of the place - and had been awarded

medals for his input in that encounter. Yes, I'm also aware that he was transferred to England for appendicitis. I have other thoughts of what I found but

at this moment cannot substantiate them as I think my findings are on desk top computer.

I hope this has answered some of you immediate questions. Please leave it with me, I will try and fill in the holes.

Would love to hear from you regarding his wife, your Aunty.

Regards,

William Thomas Clark Accident Notice.pdf

Hi, it's great to hear from you - thanks very much for the information!

Thanks also for the newspaper clipping - I have another one which gives some more details of his tragic death, and I will dig it out.

I will also PM you my email address.

If you have any photos of William, I'd love to see them!

I've sent you a PM with my email address and some information about William's wife. Here are some newspaper clippings I have found online:-

post-97067-0-09562900-1393423995_thumb.j

post-97067-0-79899000-1393423996_thumb.j

post-97067-0-90145400-1393423999_thumb.j

• 2 years later...

Well after a considerable amount of time, I think I've found a couple of photos of William Clark on the Australian War Memorial website (I've attached one onto this thread).

The photos are of Major Hugh Venables Vernon, 2nd in command of the 1st Australian Light Horse at the time, at their training grounds at Rosebery, NSW in 1914. Listed with him is one Trooper Clark, batman.

Now the Australian Light Horse Studies Centre has an image of Routine Order No.1, which lists my great uncle W. T. Clark as a batman, and in the rolls available online I can't find any other Clarks in the HQ section of the 1st Australian Light Horse, so I'm 99% certain the photo is of him.

Do you think this is a reasonable assumption?

P01208.021.JPG

Well done JP.

That does look like a reasonable assumption. the AWM shows thirteen William Thomas Clarks on the embarkation rolls, only one of whom embarked with the 1st Light Horse.

Scott 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've had a reply from the AWM and they concur that there is a 'reasonably strong circumstantial case' for the Trooper Clark in the photographs being my great uncle William Thomas Clark - so I'm pretty happy with that! :D