Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cpl Tanner - King's Shropshire Light Infantry

Dannemois

Can anyone please help find details on the award of M.M. to Oscar Barrett Tanner, Corporal 27341, King's Shropshire Light Infantry 1st Battalion (formerly 2209 Welsh Cyc Regt.) He was killed in action April 14 1918, commemorated on Panel 112 to 113 on the Tyne Cot Memorial.

Thanks

Hi Dannemois

I do not think he won his M.M. with the Shropshires because 1) his name is not in the awards list in Regimental History 2) he would have only joined the 1st K.S.L.I. on the 3rd April 1918. The Battalion moved from Reserve at Potijze Wood to Support between the 6th & 8th April and moved into the front line on the 11th April.

He belonged to the 16th Welsh Regiment which was disbanded in Feb 1918, Pte. Tanner and at least 275 men of the 16th Welsh joined the 1st Entrenching Battalion on or near 27th Feb, before joining the 1st K.S.L.I.

Annette

Hi Shropshiremad

No problem correcting me with the proper name; I copied the details third hand and not being an expert failed to spot the error, I've just editted the text in the original post.

Hi Annette

Just found reference to him in the Edinburgh Gazette, Issue 13163, published 5 Nov 1917

L/Cpl 56583 O.B. Tanner, Welsh Regt. (Tirphil)

Graeme

Would you believe it I've tried "london gazette" with O.B. Tanner, no result. I then tried a search with every permuntation going, still nothing :devilgrin: is it me or what

Hi Graeme

I carried out a search ("london gazette" 56583 tanner) in Google, still nothing; I then tried Mozilla Fire Fox and bingo, first one on the page. Strange.

Thanks for trying to educate this old silver surfer.

Regards, Roy

Hi Roy

Strange !!

I obviously use Mozilla but, if I want to move from one page to the next, use Chrome (I think Ive set up Mozilla incorrectly and it wants to 'save' any PDF rather than open it in the browser).

At least we got there in the end,

Regards,

Graeme